I love winter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Indianagirl
Levergunner

I love winter

Post by Indianagirl »

The fact is, I love winter in Indiana. (The joke is if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes and it will change). I love the cold, the wind, and the snow, and theway the wind tosses those lovely big snowflakes around. I love the way the air smells in winter! I just love winter which is really the mature thing to do because its here :D

BUT, I DONT LIKE SLEET!!!! :-)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I love winter

Post by rjohns94 »

I have really enjoyed the snow and winter weather this year in PA. 55 inches of snow. Think was the last total. 2-4 coming tonight. Then they say a warm up. Been out on snow shoes a lot this winter. Glad you enjoyed your winter too
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

Well, it has certainly been a strange winter. Ya know I have never used snow shoes. Glad you are enjoying yourself.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I am beginning to like winter less and less as I get older :!: :!:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yes, well I love my winters also.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This winter...and it is still dragging on...and on, and on, has really taken it's toll on me.

Got stuck down in Key West a couple of weeks ago and for the first time in my memory, did not want to go home.

Sometime this week we are supposed to break the freezing mark, first time since the beginning of December...I believe. We have had snow cover for 81 straight days...and just had 10"s more today. Believe this is the first time I can remember wearing out a shovel in one season.

Bought a new truck at the end of December and parked it along side the garage (does not fit in the garage...too tall), have not driven it since bringing it home. And now I can not even see it! There is a twelve foot drift encapsulating it!

Yeah...sure love winter...just not as much as I used too.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep - give me a couple extra Octobers, then go right to January or February, and get some real cold, without the humidity and sleet.
Bought a new truck at the end of December and parked it along side the garage (does not fit in the garage...too tall), have not driven it since bringing it home. And now I can not even see it! There is a twelve foot drift encapsulating it!
Better check your wiring harness and dashboard and so on for MICE. . . :evil:

If possible, dig a tunnel or something so you can set some mouse-traps in the vehicle. I catch a couple a week in my truck during the winter.

I've had over a thousand dollars damage done to vehicles by mice over the past two or three years...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

My wife and I really enjoy winter and especially this one since it is colder and more snow than usual. Looks like our lane is drifted in this evening and we are expecting more snow tonight. I'll blow it out in the morning. When we retire, we want to move further north where we can be more assured of decent winters. Today, we went cross country skiing down by the river. Here is a photo taken this afternoon ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fellows, that is not how she acts when I tell her it is in the 80s and going golfing. More likely I get an.... Oh, shut up. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Honestly at 530 this morning I've got about 1 1-2 miles to the highway. Oh about 3/4 mile down the road I ended up highcentered. These words were not the words I uttered. :lol:
Wind and a little snow last night.
Called Chad and he got me pulled out 20 minutes later. :D

Byron
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage wrote:Fellows, that is not how she acts when I tell her it is in the 80s and going golfing. More likely I get an.... Oh, shut up. :D
I really feel bad for you, OS. It must be rough having to have warm weather all the time and never getting out to go tobogganing, or skiing or shovelling snow. If you ever need to cool down, come up here sometime and we'll show you a good time.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

Well as my baby brother would say, "wah, wah, wah"! :D

Im just sitting here snug and warm listening to the wind howl, watching the olympics,
and just feeling so very blessed.

Re the truck under the drift....I have read that cinnamon and clove oils repel mice. I wonder
If putting scented candles in that buried new truck might help.

You're right, seems like this has been a particularly wicked winter, but even with the sub 0 temps, bone chilling
windchill and extra snow, we have been reminiscing about childhood winters and how much fun they were.
Ice skating, do kids iceskate anymore? Building igloos and snowforts. Staying outside till our fingers hurt.
We would put our wet mittens on the floor register to dry and grab a warm dry pair and head right back outside.
Sledding and snowball fights. Those were certainly happy times to be a kid in my neighborhood :-)

I heard a rumor that spring is just around the corner !
Last edited by Indianagirl on Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the invite Kirk, might have to track you down sometime .... But it won't be in winter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

KirkD wrote:My wife and I really enjoy winter and especially this one since it is colder and more snow than usual. Looks like our lane is drifted in this evening and we are expecting more snow tonight. I'll blow it out in the morning. When we retire, we want to move further north where we can be more assured of decent winters. Today, we went cross country skiing down by the river. Here is a photo taken this afternoon ...

Looks nice Kirk!! Winter river scapes are always beautiful.
I am heading to my ranch here in Texas tomorrow for a night of Winchester hog hunting!

Take care
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

KirkD wrote:My wife and I really enjoy winter and especially this one since it is colder and more snow than usual. Looks like our lane is drifted in this evening and we are expecting more snow tonight. I'll blow it out in the morning. When we retire, we want to move further north where we can be more assured of decent winters. Today, we went cross country skiing down by the river. Here is a photo taken this afternoon ...

Perfect!!!
Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

[quote="Old Savage"]Fellows, that is not how she acts when I tell her it is in the 80s and going golfing. More likely I get an.... Oh, shut up.

Too true !!! :D

I keep repeating, I love winter and spring is coming! :-)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Fellows, that is not how she acts when I tell her it is in the 80s and going golfing. More likely I get an.... Oh, shut up. :D
Sometimes, the one most in need of convincing is ourself....
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
How many times have you chained up this year....what a PITA :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Griff wrote:
How many times have you chained up this year....what a PITA :lol: :lol:
Zero. In fact, I haven't chained up since 1996...
It's really HARD to get chain around:
tires with fenders in place.

My feelin' is... if it's bad enough to chain up... me, my truck and cargo are way safer parked in the truck stop!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: I should have remembered that......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love winter but this year has been very weird, the south of England is under water and battered by storm after storm and yet it's been hardly cold enough to wear a winter coat..... :shock:

Still, after all these storms I'll never run out of firewood.... :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

I find tha I have enjoyed the extremes here in Indiana. In the 3 years we have been here we have seen, drought, ice storms, 30-40 degree below zero wind chills, and the river has flooded our lower field twice! Even though everyone says it only happens once ever 25-30 years!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I love it too. Today I will have on shorts in the shop, fighting hornets with the A/C on. It will be 82 today.
Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

One of the nice things about being in the middle of the country, is that its only to hop on a plane and you can be somewhere warm pretty fast. Friends heading out to florida and texas next week.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Like some winter but this one nope.
Though I am managing with my Grizz 700 its getting tough.
Driveway is dirt, 400ft long slight incline. We are on a snow belt and being driveway goes through hemlocks sun don't melt snow. On the right is hemlock mountain, on the left is a huge hemlock gorge.
I put in railroad ties but that restricts pushing snow. Meaning eventually it narrows like a bobsled course.
Am at the point I have to after plowing manually with shovel edge it couple of feet. Not easy when it freezes. Next year maybe a blower for when that arises. Good workout and thank god for 4wd.

They say nothing goes on ice ?
Beg to differ. It will go up here where you can't walk on meaning you would try fall on your a## and slide down driveway. That is why at gate to driveway it is posted and also going into drive a sign stating those who enter do so at own risk.
It is beautiful though with snow and hemlocks. From April-Nov it is divine!
Last edited by madman4570 on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Personally, I believe the months of Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar should be spent sailing in the southern hemisphere! Aboard something like the Seahawk.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Boy You Guy's are right on!!!!.......We got another 6" of snow this morning, the state Boy's never started clearing the roads until about 5:00 AM . nearly 30* real wet heavy snow. had the Jeep in 4HI all the way to work.......looks like it will be 50* and rain on Thursday, then We will have water over the roads :shock: how long before it get's real cold and some more snow...???...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

.45colt wrote:Boy You Guy's are right on!!!!.......We got another 6" of snow this morning, the state Boy's never started clearing the roads until about 5:00 AM . nearly 30* real wet heavy snow. had the Jeep in 4HI all the way to work.......looks like it will be 50* and rain on Thursday, then We will have water over the roads :shock: how long before it get's real cold and some more snow...???...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And all the ice. :shock:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

AJMD429 wrote:Yep - give me a couple extra Octobers, then go right to January or February, and get some real cold, without the humidity and sleet.

If possible, dig a tunnel or something so you can set some mouse-traps in the vehicle. I catch a couple a week in my truck during the winter.

I've had over a thousand dollars damage done to vehicles by mice over the past two or three years...
Must be too cold here for mice, last truck was parked most of every winter in the same place for the better part of fifteen years...never had a problem with mice. Gotta knock on wood though.

We had our first thaw of the year today, made it to mid 30's for a few hours. I was running around outside in my T-shirt, thought summer had arrived!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Winter is a relative thing.

This evening I drove into Las Vegas... as I exited I-15 ont Tropicana Blvd., standing at the bus stop was a gentleman wearing a wool overcoat, over a hoodie, and topping his head was one of those sherling lined caps... you know, the ones with a flap up front, and ear flaps that can fold up with a strap that either goes over the head, or under the chin with the flaps down.

It was 64ºF! :P :P You can believe that HE thought it was COLD out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Griff wrote:Winter is a relative thing.

This evening I drove into Las Vegas... as I exited I-15 ont Tropicana Blvd., standing at the bus stop was a gentleman wearing a wool overcoat, over a hoodie, and topping his head was one of those sherling lined caps... you know, the ones with a flap up front, and ear flaps that can fold up with a strap that either goes over the head, or under the chin with the flaps down.

It was 64ºF! :P :P You can believe that HE thought it was COLD out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps his mom still dresses him...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Who ever is praying for snow, please stop. We have enough . Thank You.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

we had a pretty good winter here in the Pacific NorthWest..some cold, rain, but mostly in the high 40's...the Cascades have been getting some serious snow... :)
71521_487051854737763_2054635313_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Our 18 inches of snow is but a memory here on the high desert in the snow and rain shadow of the Cascades. The sun is bright this morning, but when the wind gets to blowing it's still winter. If soeone had tweaked my ear yesterday afternoon I believe it would have shattered.
It can be 65 anytime now please, mister ...
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Hey Fred, I loved winter when I was ice fishing and sledding and when I didnt know better.. LOL now I dream of palm trees and ocean breezes with salty air with warm sand for my toes to dig into, pina colada's and warm rains! I am keeping those winter days in the past, good memories, and I have moved on to warmer thoughts with no regrets~ :)
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

BenT wrote:Who ever is praying for snow, please stop. We have enough . Thank You.
LOL, Even here in south east WY we are colder than usual at this time of year! I have long stopped praying for snow and turned it to rain! Hang in there, its gotta get better!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Old Savage wrote:
Fellows, that is not how she acts when I tell her it is in the 80s and going golfing. More likely I get an.... Oh, shut up. :D

Boots wrote - Hey Fred, I loved winter when I was ice fishing and sledding and when I didnt know better.. LOL now I dream of palm trees and ocean breezes with salty air with warm sand for my toes to dig into, pina colada's and warm rains! I am keeping those winter days in the past, good memories, and I have moved on to warmer thoughts with no regrets~ :)
Boots, right with you on that idea. I will spare you my winter stories but for -55 wind chill on a ski day in Vermont. Says 81 here today.

Neil sort of said it but you have to reverse some of the parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wYpVy9W29M

Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Old Time Hunter wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:Yep - give me a couple extra Octobers, then go right to January or February, and get some real cold, without the humidity and sleet.

Must be too cold here for mice, last truck was parked most of every winter in the same place for the better part of fifteen years...never had a problem with mice. Gotta knock on wood though.

We had our first thaw of the year today, made it to mid 30's for a few hours. I was running around outside in my T-shirt, thought summer had arrived!
I am just sick!!! My little 4X4 sat for a while and a pack rat moved in and I have had to replace my slave cylinder and then some.... pretty expensive deal and I Am HUNTING PACK RATS!!!!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Griff wrote:Personally, I believe the months of Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar should be spent sailing in the southern hemisphere! Aboard something like the Seahawk.
yes yes yes!!!!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Boots, right with you on that idea. I will spare you my winter stories but for -55 wind chill on a ski day in Vermont. Says 81 here today.

Neil sort of said it but you have to reverse some of the parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wYpVy9W29M[/quote]

I have not heard that song for a very long time. I can place the words around just fine!
Buy me another wish ticket... maybe I will get there? LOL :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We still have money left in the pot and haven't check the ones from the numbers on the fortune cookie. :)

Indianagirl
Levergunner

Post by Indianagirl »

Ms Boots wrote:
Griff wrote:Personally, I believe the months of Dec, Jan, Feb & Mar should be spent sailing in the southern hemisphere! Aboard something like the Seahawk.
yes yes yes!!!!
Hey Boots,
Ok, I know it would be tough to give up the ice, and cold, but............oh to heck with that noise, I m thinking this looks great !!! :-)