Advice on a Remington Model 4 .22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Advice on a Remington Model 4 .22

Post by AR-Trvlr »

I've got a Remington Model 4 takedown marked .22 short or long - SN J276XXX. 22" barrel w/ takedown lever. It locks up nice and tight with no wiggle, but the bore resembles a sewer pipe. Still has most of the blueing, but lots of rust freckling.

I've been thinking of getting the bore sleeved so my boys can learn to shoot with it in a few years.

It's also tempting to get it threaded for use with a suppressor, but I'd probably need higher sights, which opens another can of worms.

Am I nuts?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Advice on a Remington Model 4 .22

Post by jdad »

Here's the nicest one I could find that recently sold. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =382171797

A reline, professionally done, is going to run $200-$300. Threading it, for a can, another $100. A can......$400.....tax stamp and 4 months wait another $200.

Just find an old Remington bolt action. One of the 5"teen" series or 580 series.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd maybe reline it but I wouldn't have it threaded......sounds like a nice old gun though.. :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Shoot it.

I had a solid frame .32RF, that converted to fire the CF .32 Short Colt, wheich had a bore like a sewerpipe, too.

It shot pretty decently, regardless.

I ended up putting a $75 funshow tang sight on it.

EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I started with a model 4 and it had a lot going for it has a boys rifle. I would have it relined if a family rifle but never threaded for a can.
You must likely could buy a good used 22 cheaper if its just about a trainer.
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

I've got a .22 cal #4 that I had relined by Redman's many years ago. Its a tackdriver now. I've got another #4 in .32 that I converted to centerfire and shoot .32 long colt in. It has a fair bore, but it still shoots 1.5" groups at 50 yards. I'm currently working with a #2 rolling block in .32 extra long rimfire. The bore is well worn in this one too, but its a ball to shoot.

In case you didn't notice, I'm a fan of the small rolling blocks :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

EdinCT wrote:I started with a model 4 and it had a lot going for it has a boys rifle. I would have it relined if a family rifle but never threaded for a can.
You must likely could buy a good used 22 cheaper if its just about a trainer.
Savage sells pre-threaded bolt-action 22 LR's now that are affordable and PERFECT for suppressing.

I think any gun you're using for teaching young'uns to shoot with should definitely be threaded for a suppressor. It takes away all the flinching, plus adds more protection for their hearing.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

CZ makes a great rig that's ready for a can.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/CZ455Am ... ssorReady/

AR-Trvlr
Levergunner

Post by AR-Trvlr »

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm leaning towards getting it re-lined, but not threaded. I think the sights are too close to the bore axis to make it worthwhile, and I have several other guns that make dandy hosts.

Who are good options for the barrel work? Who else beyond Redman?
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

www.johntaylormachine.com

His work is nearly invisible.