Cast Boolits & Lead-Related Health Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Cast Boolits & Lead-Related Health Issues

Post by Haycock »

Just curious what the common wisdom here on the forum is about lead boolits and lead-related health concerns...

If eating lead paint damages the brains of toddlers, what does eating lead residue in game do? What about the casting process itself? Fumes? Powder?

Thoughts? Concerns?

Haycock
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

No concerns.

"lead residue" in game is virtually non-existant

The health problems can arise if a person does not cast in a properly ventilated area. If your casting setup is done correctly you don't have to worry.

When handling lead a person should wash their hands completely (that means scrubbing like a surgeon does) before eating, picking their nose, sucking on their fingers, smoking and whatever you do where you handle something and then stick it in your mouth.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

A little common sense is all that's needed. Keep your casting area well ventilated. Don't cast with your head right over the pot. I keep a small desktop fan on my bench. Wash your hands before eating. I have a hard time believing there is any danger from consuming lead residue in game animals.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Check. Thanks, JimT & TedH.

Sounds to me like basic shop safety covers it. I've worked with hazardous materials before (smelting scrap/sweep materials containing mercury, for example) and it sounds like the fundamental precautions are all that you need to observe.

Thanks for quick answers.

Haycock
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Wash with COLD WATER only - to keep your pores closed tight and prevent lead residue from getting beneath your derma.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

86er wrote:Wash with COLD WATER only - to keep your pores closed tight and prevent lead residue from getting beneath your derma.
Excellent advise - I need to remember that when washing after cleaning guns as well! :D