OT - S&W 39

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

OT - S&W 39

Post by Leverdude »

Whats the consensus?
I bought one & will be putting some rounds thru it tomorrow. Never had a 9MM before. Handled a bunch of guns & this one felt good, looked to be in great shape & I could afford it. :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Other than a 1911 that was the first auto I had. I actually used a 639 (stainless) for duty. I have small hands and the single stack of the 39 fits me. The double stack 59 was just too big. I liked it other than it was a 9mm. At that time I couldn't carry a 1911 on duty and there weren't many single stack 45's the department would authorize. Good pistol, never had a problem. You should like it.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had one for a short while back in the late 70's. I just could never get mine to shoot well for me. That was before 9mm's were the rage and there wasn't much interest in them where I lived at the time. We all used wheel guns back then. The dept I was with mandated S&W or COLT .357's with a 4" or 6" barrel and that was it.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Also back in the late 70's....
There was one Mod 39 that the group I shot with back then sort of traded around between us for several years. It worked every time, with a variety of reloads. I like the 39's, but there were so many out there with reliability "issues" I wouldn't own one unless I knew it's history, and had the opportunity to shoot it extensively. I was the last owner of that particular handgun..until it ( along with a jack-butt shoulder rig and three mags...) fell into the Zambezi river. :o Ah Well...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you progress to the point where you're considering it as a carry piece, you might want to pop off the slide and remove the magazine safety plunger - so it can be fired while you're in the middle of changing magazines.

I liked the one I had.

The late Theodore Paris based his ASP conversions on them, back in the mid-60's, which led to the current wide choice we all have now in factory compact autos.

Compact/mini C.F. autos (9mm up) were virtualy an unknown, back then - strictly a custom project, and usually problematic due to teething issues that the factories have now resolved.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Well, I'll find out in a few hours just how well it shoots & functions. :D

Thanks Pete for the tip. I was wondering if there was an easy way to fix that.
If it works out it'll be on my person pretty regular.
All I have besides it is an old Colt 03 32 & an Accutek .380.
the 380 was on loan to my Dad for years but I recently swapped him the colt.
The .380 is real easy to conceal & much lighter than the Colt, its my primary carry piece now.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Well, I'll find out in a few hours just how well it shoots & functions]

Are you back yet ? How did the folks, down at the Seven-Eleven, like it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Pete44ru wrote:[Well, I'll find out in a few hours just how well it shoots & functions]

Are you back yet ? How did the folks, down at the Seven-Eleven, like it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
They offered me 3 slurpies & 4 go go taquitos for it. :lol:

Seriously,
I put 125 rounds thru it. 100 hardball & 25 JHP's & it worked every time.
20 yards keeping them in a 6" circle was pretty easy & 4" was doable if I really tried. Honestly I'm pleasently supriseed & expect with practice I can shrink them a bit. There was a 16X16 inch steel plate on the 50 yard berm that was easy to hit too. All in all I like it.
Asking around the range opinions varied from them being junk to them being a good solid shooter. A few guys actually raved about them. I got a strong Ford vs Chevy feeling out of it.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I got a strong Ford vs Chevy feeling out of it.]

When it was introduced in 1955, it was the first large (bigger than pocket pistol/.380/etc) DA auto, and there was a lot of pro/con back-and-forth in the shooting press in those days.

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/s&w_m39.htm