Found a BlackHawk .45 Convertable

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Found a BlackHawk .45 Convertable

Post by Blaine »

But, it's the 5.5" model. I like the 4 5/8"bbls....Anyway, they want 569$$$ One hundred under MSRP....I have not bought a new shooter in years, so, I don't really know if that's a good deal or not...I wonder if that extra inch of bbl would be ok.... :? Maybe they can get one with the 4 5/8" bbl for me.... :? They also had Rainier Copper Plated boolets, 230 grain, for 10 bucks per 500 cheaper than Midway USA....I'll prolly go back and get at least two more boxes of those....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Found a BlackHawk .45 Convertable

Post by CowboyTutt »

If its a Bisley grip frame I would say buy it for sure. The 5 1/2 barrel is a nice compromise between accuracy and portability. You can always have the barrel shortened later if you really don't like it. Mines not a convertible but might be similar. First handgun I ever owned.

"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Blaine do the new Blackhawks have an internal lock ? I let a really nice 5 1/2" convertible slip thru my hands several years ago...broke as usual...good luck sir...

rick
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I might know where to locate a blued 4 5/8" barrel new model blackhawk. I will take a look and let you know if you like. 1886.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jumbeaux wrote:Blaine do the new Blackhawks have an internal lock ? I let a really nice 5 1/2" convertible slip thru my hands several years ago...broke as usual...good luck sir...

rick
I looked through their online catalog...I could not find anything about the internal lock. I don't recall seeing a lock on any single action Rugers....I know my 50th Anniversary BlackHawk does not have one....Nor, does my SBH.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

BlaineG wrote:
jumbeaux wrote:Blaine do the new Blackhawks have an internal lock ? I let a really nice 5 1/2" convertible slip thru my hands several years ago...broke as usual...good luck sir...

rick
I looked through their online catalog...I could not find anything about the internal lock. I don't recall seeing a lock on any single action Rugers....I know my 50th Anniversary BlackHawk does not have one....Nor, does my SBH.
reallllyy, internal. ya gotta pull the grips to see it.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Always wanted one, but never as cheap as I wanted to spend. Anything close to $500 would be a deal nowadays. 5 1/2's aren't to bad, but I always did like the 4 5/8.

Byron
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I wish you would have told me you were looking for one. A nice one just sold here locally and the guy had a 9mm/.357 model, too. I almost bought them both but let my silly budget get in the way :oops:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I was also under the impression that the convertible models were somewhat rare. Best to snap them up when you can. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

CowboyTutt wrote:I was also under the impression that the convertible models were somewhat rare. Best to snap them up when you can. -Tutt
They're still in current production. Several NIB on Gunbroker

EDIT. Unless you're talking about Bisley models. I would be interested in a stainless Bisley model.

I guess I could spend $450 or so on a new cylinder for my Freedom Arms 83 and have a really nice convertible!!!
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

EDIT. Unless you're talking about Bisley models. I would be interested in a stainless Bisley model.
Yup, the OP has not specified the grip frame. Elmer Keith was no dunce. -Tutt

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

CowboyTutt wrote:
Yup, the OP has not specified the grip frame. Elmer Keith was no dunce. -Tutt
I'm not seeing any Bisley grips on the convertibles.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Blaine, maybe this will be helpful.

Just checked the vault. It contains a Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP( 2 cylinders). 4 5/8” Flat Top Blackhawk model on the smaller .357 frame. Purchased from Welcher’s November, 2011. Distributed by Lipsey’s. ($684.85 out the door [$569.00 + 54.86 tax. +20.00 S/H]). Have no idea if Lipsey's has anymore available or not.

Also found a Ruger New Model Vaquero. Blued, 5 ½”, .45 Colt and an Accusport Ruger Bisley, Stainless steel, .45 Colt/ .45 ACP (2 cylinders) 5 ½”.

I really cannot see the difference between the 4 5/8” and the 5 ½” barrel length, but then I am not any great shakes as a revolver shooter. Also, I do not shoot heavy loads; instead, believe I load a 250 gr. Berry copper plated lead flat point atop 5.8 grains Trail Boss for about 720 FPS. Prefer Trail Boss as it is case filling and a double charge over fills the case. Once came close to double charging a .45 Colt ….

I think what really makes a difference is the frame size and the grip style. The Ruger Black Hawk .45 Colt Flat Top really feels the most comfortable in my hand.

Let me know if you want to drop by and ‘coon finger’ them….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote:Blaine, maybe this will be helpful.

Just checked the vault. It contains a Blackhawk 45 Colt/45 ACP( 2 cylinders). 4 5/8” Flat Top Blackhawk model on the smaller .357 frame. Purchased from Welcher’s November, 2011. Distributed by Lipsey’s. ($684.85 out the door [$569.00 + 54.86 tax. +20.00 S/H]). Have no idea if Lipsey's has anymore available or not.

Also found a Ruger New Model Vaquero. Blued, 5 ½”, .45 Colt and an Accusport Ruger Bisley, Stainless steel, .45 Colt/ .45 ACP (2 cylinders) 5 ½”.

I really cannot see the difference between the 4 5/8” and the 5 ½” barrel length, but then I am not any great shakes as a revolver shooter. Also, I do not shoot heavy loads; instead, believe I load a 250 gr. Berry copper plated lead flat point atop 5.8 grains Trail Boss for about 720 FPS. Prefer Trail Boss as it is case filling and a double charge over fills the case. Once came close to double charging a .45 Colt ….

I think what really makes a difference is the frame size and the grip style. The Ruger Black Hawk .45 Colt Flat Top really feels the most comfortable in my hand.

Let me know if you want to drop by and ‘coon finger’ them….
Just leave the safe door open....I'll find them on my own :twisted:

$569 is what Boerner in Gorst wants, so, that's not too bad. Welcher's usually marks up 10% on his cost, and pays his boys salary....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

CowboyTutt wrote:If its a Bisley grip frame I would say buy it for sure. The 5 1/2 barrel is a nice compromise between accuracy and portability. You can always have the barrel shortened later if you really don't like it. Mines not a convertible but might be similar. First handgun I ever owned.

What's the one with the yellow grip? I'd almost swear that's either a perspective trick or I'm thinking a 454-.50S&W-ish caliber? It positively dwarfs that 1911.
...Or I'm just not used to revolvers looking that big. :?
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Grip style is a matter of preference but that one Tutt has is a great all around handgun. Nice shooter.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

pokey wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

rick

The SA Rugers (Blackhawks, SBH's & Vaquero's) with the internal lock have the letter "L" added to the model designation.

My 50th Anniversary .357 BH surely did have one.

Once upon a time, I had two (2) .45 NM Blackhawk convertibles - both 4-5/8", one blued carbon steel, one stainless.
It was fun, switching cylinders and/or gripframes between the pair, to get various two-tone looks. :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:
pokey wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

rick

The SA Rugers (Blackhawks, SBH's & Vaquero's) with the internal lock have the letter "L" added to the model designation.

My 50th Anniversary .357 BH surely did have one.

Once upon a time, I had two (2) .45 NM Blackhawk convertibles - both 4-5/8", one blued carbon steel, one stainless.
It was fun, switching cylinders and/or gripframes between the pair, to get various two-tone looks. :mrgreen:

I did not know where the lock was.....Didn't realize you had to take off the grips.... :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Shows how the time goes by, I paid 180.00 for my new 4 5/8 years ago. I foolishly sold it to a friend 10 years later after going through a divorce.
He has promised to sell it back when he no longer needs it for the same price he paid me for it :lol:
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Accusport Ruger Bisley, Stainless steel, .45 Colt/ .45 ACP (2 cylinders) 5 ½”.
Ray, that's the one I was thinking of. I've not hardly seen those. I have the "single cylinder" Accusport with some nice upgrades from Bob Munden. Little sucker is a handful with 45 Colt + P loads with heavy lead bullets. :lol:

Old Savage seemed to shoot it real well though. 8)
What's the one with the yellow grip? I'd almost swear that's either a perspective trick or I'm thinking a 454-.50S&W-ish caliber? It positively dwarfs that 1911.
...Or I'm just not used to revolvers looking that big. :?
Panzercat, its a Smith and Wesson 460 ES. Its my favorite handgun in my small little collection.

Wrote this back in 2009.

http://www.gunblast.com/AndyTuttle_SW460ES.htm

-Tutt

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have 6 Blackhawk .45 convertables. both stainless and blued. My favorites are the mid frame sized flat tops. I like the 4.6" barreled ones best but shoot the 5 1/2" ones best.
My pair of Vaqueros 4.6" convertables are what I have been shooting for CAS for the last year. They will shoot my Cowboy load and my .45 ACP load into the same group at 30'
I shoot 230gr.RNFP in both loads. 6 gr. Trail Boss in the Colt and 6 gr.Red dot in the ACP.
That load is also accurate and fully functional in my Ruger SR 1911.
Buy it, you will love it!
http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-new-model- ... -acp-57346
http://www.kygunco.com/ruger-blackhawk- ... sive-49234
these are the flattops, The BlackHawk is less money as is the Vaquero but I don`t see any in stock right now. They come and go almost daily.
This is a great company to buy from. Good prices also.
My flat top .45`s are stainless and my Flattop .44`s are blued.
The lock was short lived and has been dropped from the line for over a year now.
I have one pair of Vaqueros (357`s) that have locks. They work just fine.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
I did not know where the lock was.....Didn't realize you had to take off the grips.... :oops: :oops:
They used to include a template in the owner's manual so you could drill a hole in the grip (if you wanted to) that would line up with the lock and let you access it with the grips on. I was impressed that they were nice enough to send it undrilled and they probably knew not many would actually marm up their handgun that way. I didn't
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
They used to include a template in the owner's manual so you could drill a hole in the grip (if you wanted to) that would line up with the lock and let you access it with the grips on. I was impressed that they were nice enough to send it undrilled and they probably knew not many would actually marm up their handgun that way. I didn't
Owner's manual? Oh, yeah...that thing that's still in the box.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great guns, I have had a couple.

Here is Tutt's with the yellow grips, virtually no recoil. :)

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well now, that's just plain "enbarraskin" as Popeye would say. I don't fight the recoil too much when target shooting. Those were "full house" 460 loads I would also like to point out. I have some new tricks to try for more rapid shooting. This is still the most well balanced revolver I have although I still like my Taurus Raging Bull 8 1/2 in 454 too although it is more muzzle heavy and ported. You handled my Bisley under heavy recoil + P loads better than I did IMHO. I've seen that Ruger revolver and my loads rock a much taller and bigger man than me off his feet (my Uncle Dan in AK)! You really impressed me that day OS. No sheet. 8)

-Tutt

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, thanks Tutt, looking forward to you coming to shoot again. :)

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

First week of April! L.A. shooting range. Be there or be, uh, whatever! :lol:

-Tutt

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

CowboyTutt wrote:First week of April! L.A. shooting range. Be there or be, uh, whatever! :lol:

-Tutt

Say it: "Or, be square" ........... :mrgreen:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

... Return with us now to those days of yesteryear.

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Received my 45C/ACP convertible this past week. I was a little disappointed that the throats measured pretty small (.4500-pin gauge). Anyone know if the cylindersmith is still in business or not? The website doesn't come up for me.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Good grief, after all these years they are still having that problem?? :o :shock:

Don't know about Cylinder Smith but any competent gunsmith can do that for you. I had mine done on my Bisley too.

-Tutt

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Evidently so. It's not a used gun. Brand new from the distributer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Leverluver wrote:Evidently so. It's not a used gun. Brand new from the distributer.
Call Ruger...maybe they will send you a shipping box, and do the work for free.....they certainly know better.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've seen this on many other forums many times. Ruger always says it is within their specs. Their specs just suck. I already sent one back (Davidsons warranty) because the loading gate wouldn't close by more than 3/16". I was very impressed with my Ruger 44special. Everything was the correct size. I bought the 45 conv. becasue I thought it would be just as good. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Leverluver wrote:Received my 45C/ACP convertible this past week. I was a little disappointed that the throats measured pretty small (.4500-pin gauge). Anyone know if the cylindersmith is still in business or not? The website doesn't come up for me.
Very common condition with the .45 Blackhawk. My newer production Redhawk throats measured a consistent .451". Better but still not right with a .451 groove barrel. I had him, Cylindersmith, clean up my Redhawk about 10 months ago. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

How did you contact him? When I try the website, it comes up a blank.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

This is the email address I have.... cas@cylindersmith.com I hope he is still around. He does nice work. 1886.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

I have a new model Blackhawk 44 special with 5.5" barrel and it is amazingly accurate. Good easily do bullseye comp if I was a better shot
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think he retired.