Recoil pad that won't hang-up on clothing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Recoil pad that won't hang-up on clothing

Post by getitdone1 »

The new Browning A5 shotgun has a recoil pad that is "slick" and therefore won't hang-up on clothing when shouldering the gun.

Does anyone here know of manufacturers of this type of recoil pad?

I'll have to go to the Browning site and see if they offer this pad on some of their other guns and also if I can buy the pad from them. I doubt I can.

Maybe clear finger nail polish on the heel portion of the pad would work? Expect it'd crack once it hardens and is compressed. Is there some substance a person can apply to standard recoil pads that works well?

Believe I've heard of leather covered recoil pads that should help.

Here's a link regarding Browning's pad:

http://www.browning.com/library/tech-te ... asp?id=204

Back again to add this product that makes a recoil pad slippery:

http://mpcsports.com/slickeezrecoilpadtreatment.aspx

Appears they have the price high enough for a bottle of that stuff.

Back again and just read that some of the "old-timers" used to use electricians tape on the upper portion of the recoil pad to make it slippery. No doubt, though, an over-all slippery pad would be best--and, better looking.

Don
jlk45
Levergunner

Re: Recoil pad that won't hang-up on clothing

Post by jlk45 »

BILLYDIXON
Levergunner 1.0

Post by BILLYDIXON »

I use to put electrical tape on my recoil pads. It was a lot easier to do that than replacing a original pad. Shooting International Skeet, Sporting Clays or hunting.
NRA Life
GOA Life
NSSA Life
AMA Life
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Armoral?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I don't think a completely slick pad is best. I like it to help hold the gun in place in use. Some pads have a harder section at the top to help prevent it grabbing the clothes. Having well fitted clothes or jacket help. That's also one reason for the sewn on leather patches on jacket shoulders. The leather doesn't grab and bunch up like cloth.

Having the pad/gun fit to you, in the clothes you plan to wear helps also. If you fit it in shirtsleeves, and mainly shoot or hunt in cold weather, I'd have it made a bit shorter. It probably easier to use a gun that's slightly too short than too long. The shorter gun certainly hangs up on the clothes less.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I though my Baikal SxS was hanging up on my clothes, until a fellow clays shooter pointed out that I need to choke up on the forearm, not worry about the back end of the stock. That gets you out in front of the shoulder/clothes, then you can mount it properly without interference.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Rounding the lip smoothly and polishing with fine sandpaper helps on many pads. I use my belt sander with sweeping passes. You can do the same with work boots if you catch the toe like I do.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

BILLYDIXON wrote:I use to put electrical tape on my recoil pads. It was a lot easier to do that than replacing a original pad. Shooting International Skeet, Sporting Clays or hunting.
This.