Movie Recommendation...Lone Survivor

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Movie Recommendation...Lone Survivor

Post by PaperPatch »

Saw it today; not for children. Take away lesson; even with well laid plans...things can go horribly wrong.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Movie Recommendation...Lone Survivor

Post by TedH »

We saw it last weekend. One of very few movies I've seen that I felt was worth the price of admission, and then some. Non stop action, two hour movie seemed like about 30 min. It's not exactly accurate, but it's pretty darn close to the way the actual events really played out.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not everyone agrees... A reviewer from the LA Weekly found herself invited onto the Glenn Beck show: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01 ... ells-face/
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I wouldn't have a problem taking a kid to see it, if they were old enough to play "Call of Duty". People need to know the reality of war and that they don't "respawn" immediately after being shot and have infinite lives.

Don't go see it for entertainment. It's very sobering. Well worth watching, but if you have any level of PTSD you may want to pass. It's pretty realistic. There was some humor between the participants, but knowing the end result I had a hard time laughing.

EDIT: I was very reluctant to go watch this after seeing the previews. I saw that Mark Wahlberg was in it and was afraid Hollywood was going to make a mockery if the incident. They didn't
Last edited by vancelw on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'll wait for the dvd --- still can't get over this guy playing a hero-------- Luttrell is cashing in I hope -- good for him I suppose

----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Luttrell is in the movie, multiple times in the background.

They can't make a two hour movie be perfectly historically correct. He knew that, but this is about as close as you're going to get without making it a five-season miniseries. He stayed on set pretty much every day hashing stuff out with the director making sure it was as right as they could get it, and minimizing how much change got made for the Hollywood aspect.

My wife and I won't see it in the theater, we've got enough collective nightmares between the two of us, but I'm buying it on DVD to watch in smaller chunks.

I've met the man (he sat in my office chair in fact) back in 2009, and he's about as humble as can be. Yeah, he might be making some money off of it but I'm pretty sure the majority is going to the other three's families.

Remember Audie Murphy made his own war movie back when, and starred in it. And ironically, he edited out a lot of stuff because he didn't think audiences would believe some of the stuff he really survived, at least in the 1950s.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Terrible movie....Like watching a Shoot Em Up Video Game for two hours. Hundred foot falls off cliffs, rifles bashing against rocks, terrible decisions at point of battle......Sorry.

All this movie shows is why America can never fight a war to win. Because they were afraid of lawyers and didn't neutralize the shepherds, over 30 brave Americans died and a pro American village was whipped out.

Terrible message that everyone seems to have missed.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:
My wife and I won't see it in the theater, we've got enough collective nightmares between the two of us, but I'm buying it on DVD to watch in smaller chunks.
I wouldn't worry about it too much Murph --- a buddy and I (actually a lot of buddies) spent a relaxing fall season in Mogadishu in 1993, -- but even then, we were able to laugh hysterically at certain aspects of the movie "Blackhawk Down" (some of it was sobering though, to be sure)

IT sounds like Luttrell is a man you respect , so the telling of the story is the culmination (to date) of his life's work --- I say bring the popcorn :)
----- Doug
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I have read the book and am looking forward to seeing the movie. The falls over the cliffs actually happened, more than once. It was one of the things that made me begin to suspect that in spite of the casualties, the hand of God was somehow with Marcus Lutrell to bring him through alive to tell the story. There were some things that actually happened that, if the movie goer has not read the book, might seem like Hollywood embellishments. Having read the book, however, it puts things in a different perspective.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The wife and I are going to see the movie tonight. Hoping it's a good as everyone says.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

KirkD summed it up pretty well. I read the book a couple of years ago, the movie tells the story pretty accurately. Luttrell describes their "retreat", as he called it, down the face of that mountain quite vividly! If I remember correctly, they "retreated" three times before he, ultimately, was alone. In the book he states that God was certainly with him, as each time he fell down that mountain his rifle landed right there next to him. That's not Hollywood, rbertaletto, that's the TRUTH! And, the scene where the one SEAL (can't remember his name, Dietz maybe?) walked out of cover to an open area, knowingly exposing himself to enemy fire, in order to call for help, THAT is also the truth! He knew he would probably die, but in order to save his teammates, he did it anyway! Maybe you could trouble yourself to actually read the book, rbertaletto! :evil:
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

That was Lieutenant Murphy, to the best of my recollection.

Street, had a friend who was in Mogadishu prior to the Mogadishu Urban Renewal Project with the USMC, and while he can watch BHD, some days it gets to him.

It came out just before I enlisted, and we watched it while in tech school several more times. I can watch it, but having known two guys who were there (met Mike Durant and talked to him for about an hour, per him, the streets were narrower, but his part they pretty much got right) and one of the former SFOD-D guys who survived the first crash (the one who defended the crash site initially).....they don't exactly go out of their way to watch the movie either.

Friend of mine found himself sitting next to Kyle Lamb on a flight to Africa. They spent hours discussing hunting. He never served so he didn't bring up the battle or the movie as he thought it might come across disrespectful.

The movie probably won't bother me compared to some (I didn't see combat), but odd things still touch things off at times. The later part of Act of Valor where the two teams meet up got a pretty serious reaction from me, it brought back a time in 2006 where one dark night I nearly shot one of my own troops. Wasn't expecting that one to come smack my brain again, but it happens.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:That was Lieutenant Murphy, to the best of my recollection.

-------

The later part of Act of Valor where the two teams meet up got a pretty serious reaction from me, it brought back a time in 2006 where one dark night I nearly shot one of my own troops. Wasn't expecting that one to come smack my brain again, but it happens.
Your right, That was Michael Murphy --- I became familiar with him due to the Cross-Fit workout named after him (called simply - "The Murph" -- any of you workout guys look it up - its fun stuf :twisted: ) --- HE received the Medal of Honor posthumously for his actions that day, -
- Dietz received the Silver Star posthumously and there is a short highway named after him in - Littleton? CO - somewhere in Denver area. Statue in the town square of him that was protested by Columbine sympathizers because he had his rifle in the statue :roll:

I'll try to catch Act of Valor again- its on Netflix streaming i think

--- another movie that was surprisingly realistic that i caught recently and hadnt seen before was "Jarhead" -- starring Jake Gyllenhall about experiences in the Gulf War ------- (naturally there were some things that were sensationalized in there) -- but overall, it was an enjoyable flick. - It seemed to spell out the "Hurry up and wait" aspect of being in the military pretty well

I think i held back on seeing it years ago as i didnt think Gyllenhall would seem believable portraying a combat vet (similar to my opinion on the former Marky Mark ) -- but these guys' are actors for a reason --- i realized Gyllenhall the man probably couldnt pull off military duty, but Gyllenhall the actor did just fine for 2 hours :)

--- Since my first post saying i wouldnt see Lone Survivor till the DVD - i re-considered and am trying to round up a couple of Cross-Fit buddies to go with me, in honor of Murph at least
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I wasn't overly pleased with Jarhead, though it had it's good moments. From someone who knew him at the time, his former unit (if not the entire Corps) pretty much disowned the original guy after writing the book for some of the stuff he put in there.

Gyllenhall isn't my favorite actor, but the movie End Of Watch, he did VERY well (and played a former Marine there too IIRC). Cop-movie-wise, End Of Watch is what Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down were for modern war movies.

As many cop friends already in the business (i'm working on getting hired) said, this is the movie you don't let your wife watch. Alternatively, if she has no clue, you do have her watch it so she gets one.

In my case, my wife was both Army and a civilian cop, she watched it with me and agreed. I grew up in LA and many of my classmates were "LAPD kids" with dads living out in the suburbs, so it was very, very close to home.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My niece`s husband , Jeff Lucas was one of the Navy Seals killed in that operation. He was in the helo. I have never met him. My brother has been divorced from her (niece`s) mother since she was about 4 and they moved to the south east and fell out of communication all together. I have yet to see the film.
magyars
Levergunner 1.0

Post by magyars »

I read the book, it was awesome, and does speak to the "hand of God" aspect.
I refuse to put a penny of my money into the hands of little marky-mark, who is anti gun.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

He may have changed his mind lately. Give credit where it is due, some idiots do grow up.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I watched an interview where Luttrell was being Luttrell, i.e. adamantly patriotic and Marky Mark's body language was trying to distance himself from that sentiment (not popular in Hollyweird I guess) Wahlberg made a middle of the road remark trying to pretend he understood Luttrell, but his body language was undeniable. Anything for a buck. I can't believe they couldn't find a more suitable actor for the part.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Listen well to me doubters. I served in combat on more than one occasion in more than one location. Many decisions that seem bad later made sense in the line of fire. It's not about war or politics....it's about doing what's right for you chalk (squad/team)..it's about the man fighting at your side. Those men were patriots and hero's and to hell with anyone who says otherwise.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

wvfarrier wrote:Listen well to me doubters. I served in combat on more than one occasion in more than one location. Many decisions that seem bad later made sense in the line of fire. It's not about war or politics....it's about doing what's right for you chalk (squad/team)..it's about the man fighting at your side. Those men were patriots and hero's and to hell with anyone who says otherwise.
AMEN
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Reading the book right now. Looking forward to the movie.