Wild Kingdom experience just now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Wild Kingdom experience just now

Post by GoatGuy »

Wow!! Sorry to bother, but have have to tell what I just witnessed. Wild!

Watching a group of Mallards through my spotting scope feeding in the 1/3 acre pond some 50-60 or so yards off my front porch. Four drakes and four hens. There is another group of 15 in the pond, but don't know what kind. Not much experience identifying ducks. The Mallards were working the west edge of the pond and the others along the east shoreline. These ducks have all been hanging around here for the last several says.

My house is about 30' elevation above the pond. Watching the Mallards feeding from my open front door, with the scope set on about 12X, a flash quickly entered my field of view. Thought at first it was another duck joining the group. WRONG. Through the lens, the flash turns into a big Redtail hawk swooping in about a foot above the Mallards. It looks as if the hawk strikes one when it hits with a splash as the ducks wildly scattered. The hawk quickly recovered and wing hops to the pond dike. Thought for sure he had one. Pausing a few minutes, the predator then rises and wings into the the treeline some 15 yards south of the pond. Empty talons. Score: Ducks-1 Hawk-0. Never thought about a hawk trying for a duck meal in that manner. Won't forget the sight and sure wish I'd had a camera trained on them instead of my scope.

Several hawks call the woods around my place their home range. Pretty cool, but wish they would choose another place to hang out. Serious competition to me for the squirrels. These guys hunt the all the time, I hunt when the weather is mild enough to make it a pleasant morning in the woods. :roll: If it weren't for the murder of crows also calling this area home, these great birds would have all the small game hunting to themselves.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Wild Kingdom experience just now

Post by Blaine »

I'll be doing my 500th cast of the day for steelhead, never a hit, and a fish hawk will dive in and pull out a keeper :roll: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Snow lake, Gila wilderness, New Mexico about 7:30 A.M.
Having my morning cup of tea.
An eagle glides down, talons in the water, trout was so big he had trouble gaining altitude with it.
Biggest fish I ever saw come out of that lake.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Mescalero, I know Snow Lake and that really nice country in the Gila Natural Forest. Never lived in that country but hunted a great many times on a ranch that bordered the Gila Wilderness. Your post makes me some homesick for the New Mexico places I lived in over the years. You can take that to the bank!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Since you brought it up, I have always wondered why you left N.M and wound up in Arkansas?
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Was dove hunting in AZ years ago. Shot a dove and it fell.

As I was walking over to retrieve it, a dang hawk swooped down and stole it.

I guess I prolly just stood there for a minute trying to figure it out.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:Was dove hunting in AZ years ago. Shot a dove and it fell.

Maybe the little so-in-so will die of lead poisoning......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Got chores needing taken care just now. Will get to my answer later. Keep checking back.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OK, will do, seems we have walked many of the same paths.
Wiedner,
Bet you were powerfully confused on that one :lol:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I watched a Great Horned Owl take a neighbor's kitten once. I had warned them about this before when they had it out in the yard but they did not listen.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've only experienced the aerial show twice -

Once, while camping on a riverbank in NH w/family, I arose early/alone for some campfire coffee when an Osprey, cruising the misty river @ sunrise, dropped onto a fish (which it got), then rose up, shaking the water from itself, B 4 flying off somewhere.

The other was while I was sitting on a old Maine tote road near a deer trail (hunting , actually), looking across a 2 acre clearing, when a Bald Eagle flew/coasted down the tote road just overhead, and struck a squirrel that was on the ground halfway across the clearing.
The Eagle then took the squill to a large branch over there - where it proceeded to savagely tear his prey apart while devouring it.

I was very impressed, both times.

shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

FWiedner wrote:Was dove hunting in AZ years ago. Shot a dove and it fell.

I have witnessed a dove get snatched by a hawk before it hit the ground. Pretty crazy stuff, but entertaining!!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Seen a lot of wild kingdom kills in my life, most of it was really cool stuff
But I saw a Golden Eagle kill a young Antelope one day, it wasn't pretty in fact it was kind of revolting
it took bout 15 minutes for the Eagle to finally knock it down, I drove off after that, I seen enough

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Wow!
I never heard of that, can you guess how young the antelope was?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Mescalero wrote:Wow!
I never heard of that, can you guess how young the antelope was?
it was bout 4 months so was pretty fast until it got hit a few times
ive talked to some guys that say they watched them take adult Antelope

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Holy carp!
I did not know that!
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Those are all cool.
For me I have seen several birds vs fish. The first was fishing in the foothills in Central CA. A mature bald eagle swooped down and picked up a bass about 1 - 2 pounds from the middle of the pound, flew with it to an oak tree and made a meal of it. Then the same eagle after about 30 to 45 minutes came back again to fish. This time it caught a bigger fish but was unable to get off the water with it. Came back two more times attacking the fish, then it must have been dead or severely hurt as it was able to grab it and fly off to the same oak. I think this bass was 4 to 5 pounds. By the way we were catching bass from 1/2 to 4 pounds this day.
The neatest fight I've seen was on the Rogue River above Shady Cove. An osprey latched onto a 3 to 4 pound steelhead and went underwater with the fish. Saw the bird struggling finally on top of the river, flapping wings like mad. Then lifted of the water and came back for the Fish about 30 or 50 yards downstream and caught him. Then flew to an area with trees. The reason I believe it was the same fish we could see blood along the side of the fish. Wish I had a camera each time.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Last year, I heard a whole bunch of quacking, wondered what the heck was going on. Couple of eagles had ganged up on the two resident mallard families. They live in the slough by our house. Blasted things picked off almost the whole flock, then ate the parents after most of the ducklings were gone. Thousands of bald eagles here, they are worse than crows. Also saw two ravens pecking a baby deer to death, several years ago. Poor little guy, by the time I came along, both his eyes were gone, and mama was frantically trying to chase the ravens. I scared the ravens off, but I had to shoot the poor fawn.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Deer hunting 2 years ago, sitting on the ground next to a downed tree trunk about shoulder height. There were some finches working an evergreen shrub on the other side, maybe 3 feet away. Over my shoulder comes a Sparrow Hawk and in a puff of feathers he catches one. He sits on the tree about 2 feet from me and gives it a bite in the neck to finish it. He finally notices me and gives me a ferocious glare for 10 seconds and flies off with his prize.

One of my favorite memories.

Don
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

wolfdog wrote:I watched a Great Horned Owl take a neighbor's kitten once. I had warned them about this before when they had it out in the yard but they did not listen.
Same thing happened with a friend's kitty and a hawk. Why I've always encouraged a "catiary" - enclosure or yard covered with sunscreen or netting. We did actual fencing extending overhead when we lived in the desert, to protect our springer pups from a lurking mountain lion and a few bobcats visiting on occasion. A "dogiary"? Not that hard.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Those big raptors are impressive creatures. If you think they are in the area, watch your small pets, and even your small children as they apparently will grab a human too if given the chance. I never would have thought about that till I saw this video of an eagle trying to fly off with dinner after putting his claws in this kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmQJthjLG6g
NRA Life Member
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yesterday Goat Guy said he would get back to us after he did chores.
He must have a LOT of chores!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

A couple of years ago a 16 year old grandson was staying with us. He had pulled some weeds and grass and was kneeling down by the chicken pen poking the grass through the fence. My wife started yelling at him to get up and run, a big red tailed hawk was in a power dive headed straight for him. Joe jumped up and waved his arms about the time that old hawk turned and went straight up. Joe said he could feel the wind from the wings as it went past him up and away. Reckon that old boy thought that was a strange looking chicken.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JerryB wrote:A couple of years ago a 16 year old grandson was staying with us. He had pulled some weeds and grass and was kneeling down by the chicken pen poking the grass through the fence. My wife started yelling at him to get up and run, a big red tailed hawk was in a power dive headed straight for him. Joe jumped up and waved his arms about the time that old hawk turned and went straight up. Joe said he could feel the wind from the wings as it went past him up and away. Reckon that old boy thought that was a strange looking chicken.
Probably thought he was a big juicy rodent sneaking around a henhouse looking for eggs to snatch... and he didn't look so danged big from 3000 ft...

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Great story. I had a hawk take a duck that I shot, right off the pond. The hawk was just hanging around. I thought it unusual for the hawk to stay so close to gunfire. The ducks were flying and I quickly forgot the hawk until it swept in and took the duck. I believe the hawk learned that gunfire meant an easy meal. Pretty clever. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMVyMU4t-hs

How about wolf hunting with eagles in Mongolia? Never knew such a thing existed. Almost (almost) felt sorry for the wolves...
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

ollogger wrote:Seen a lot of wild kingdom kills in my life, most of it was really cool stuff
But I saw a Golden Eagle kill a young Antelope one day, it wasn't pretty in fact it was kind of revolting
it took bout 15 minutes for the Eagle to finally knock it down, I drove off after that, I seen enough

ollogger
Just 100 miles up the road from you, I watched eagles take down a full grown antelope. I was driving to work on a back road and came to a section nearly a half mile long where every fence post had an eagle on it; bald, imature balds, and evern golden. I stopped to see what the party was all about. About 150 yds from the fnece, I saw eagles taking turns harrassing this antelope. Don't know why they picked him as there were others about. At that time, the antelope just seemed mildly annoyed. When I came home from work, the antelope was definitely annoyed as the eagles were hanging on for 3 to 5 second rodeo rides at a time and there was blood all down his sides. The next morning he was a grease spot. Took a day and a half to do the dead but I was impressed with their tenacity and, I kow it's just nature, but a little disgusted too.

Back before the plague hit, my shop's one acre plot was infested with p-dogs. I had to shoot 40-50 per year off that one acre. I had one in the cross hairs and drilled him. Not 1/10 second later a hawk flashed straight down into the scopes field of view and nailed the p-dog. The hawk just sat there for a few seconds with his talons in the dog looking left and right wondering what just happened. Then he just took off and left the dog. I knew they liked their meat fresh but 1/10 of a second is being a little picky.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Dont mean to thread drift ---- but do any of you fellas have any experience with a telescope vs a spotting scope? -- My wife loves to bird watch out of the upstairs windows of our home

But, she is a bit fumble fingered and gets frustrated easilly, so dealing with the focus and small field of view of my spotting scope is a pain for her

Didnt know if a hobbyist's telescope would be better for her, ------- i'm thinking of just getting her some nice binocs too, so she can carry them around with her-- she'll watch a family of coons on a pond dam for 30 minutes

She didnt grow up in the outdoors, so to just see her smile and appreciation for nature now is worth a million bucks to me
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Go with a lower power spotting scope my 20x-60x is a female dog at any setting.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

BlaineG wrote:I'll be doing my 500th cast of the day for steelhead, never a hit, and a fish hawk will dive in and pull out a keeper :roll: :roll:
I wish they would do that around here, We are in a snakehead explosion. These things a verocious eaters and play havoc on the local fish.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Go with a lower power spotting scope my 20x-60x is a female dog at any setting.
will do --- just looked at mine - its a 20-60 too
----- Doug
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Sitting at one of the old rifle ranges one day, just trying to figure out wind. Range was about 300yds from river. Here comes an osprey carrying what looked like a catfish, a bald eagle does the classic dive and intimidate. The osprey dropped the fish and the eagle got it. The osprey towered and acted really ticked off. You could almost see the lightbulb go off in his head. He dive bombed the eagle so fast and so often that it forced him down into the woods. They were so dense back in there that the eagle probably had to walk home. Most amazing(to me) was a time while sitting in an old the stand that had a cedar tree growing into it. There was a pair of Virginia kinglets feeding in the cedar. These birds are barely larger than a humming bird and fairly fearless.They were within easy reach the whole time. The male moved in front of me and got clear of the cedar branches whereupon he vanished in a puff of feathers and a muted poof. Never got a clear look at the hawk, but suspect it was a Coopers. Passed within 2-2 1/2 feet of my face. Not huge and intimidating, but very impressive none the less. We have lots of raptors here on the E. shore especially in the winter due to migration routes and winter overs. Me thinks maybe too many. I did see one quail this year.
Crazier story, a friend of mine from WV , as a teenager wa hunting in WV, wearing a coonskin cap(more than a few years ago)(see where this is going?). A great honed owl made a pass and got the cap, without his scalp. It dropped the cap a bit further. I have no reason to disbelieve him.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

One time in S. AZ in the Santa Rita MTNS I was up in Faber canyon on a game trail just below the rim rock, I saw a Golden Eagle coming down the canyon just a little below me that was being pestered by a Redtail hawk, I was watching them thinking it was pretty neat to see them from above instead of from below when I heard a big whoosh overhead and looked up in time to see another Golden Eagle in full dive mode headed for the Redtail, the Redtail rolled up at the last second but not fast enough, the Golden Eagle snagged it with his left foot, a little puff of feather's and the Redtail pulled free locked it's wings and crashed landed on a little bald hill across the canyon, seen a lot of neat things in that canyon over the years.

I had a female Shorthair named Peca and she was a dove hunting fool.

I downed a dove one morning and sent Peca after it, a hawk swooped in and grabbed it, Peca took a running leap and snagged the hawk, trashed it and brought the dove back to me like it was no big deal.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I hope Goat Guy is OK, he said he would get back to us.