Rossi 92 buttstock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Rossi 92 buttstock

Post by rogn »

Went thru the search engine looking for a buttstock - Rossi 92- with no results. I have a 5' 2" wife and she likes the Puma 45C. However the stock is much too long for her. Im looking for a replacement that I can cut back for her and put on a flat but plate or pad. I don't need a pristine piece because of the mods. Just wondering if some one has an old buttock sitting about, nearing the decision to be used for firewood. If so could you email/PM me w/ ?$ and availability. Hope Im not inappropriately foruming.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92 buttstock

Post by gak »

Edit - wasnt just my imagination - found this with reference to my "youth" comment below.
http://www.gunblast.com/Winchester-Ranger357.htm (address fixed)

No, not inappropriately foruming, but failing any quick responses here might put in a WTB in the classifieds here as well. Winchester 94 stocks are said by some to (be able to be) fit but with anywhere from "some" to "considerable" fitting....but might provide a platform to cut from. I'm sure I have the model wrong, but seems to me there was a Model 94 "youth Ranger" model or some such. Also, are you talking 92 rifle or carbine as the latter's butt is a bit shorter IIRC.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I've been planning to replace mine... but it may still be a while until I get to it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a 1 to 1 duplicater for a table saw ( even bought a new table saw to dedicate to it )
When I go back to N.M. I will get started on setting it up.
I can use my Rossi .44 Mag for a pattern.
I notice a lot of people unhappy with the wood on the Rossi's
I guess I can make plain walnut replacements and offer them for sale.
But if 92&94 can come up with some Mesquite big enough, that would look sharp!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Not cheap or free but not bad. Cut it to whatever length you want.

http://www.precisiongunstocks.com/conte ... s/d70.html
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I've never seen one for a table saw, how does it work?

I have a 4 position Terrco machine I bought second hand. They are a bit tricky to use, but doing 4x sure speeds things up! Before that I had built a 1x copy carver, but it didn't really go any faster than shaping with a large burr by hand and eye.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

I found Boyds has new Rossi buttstocks in walnut for 65$, but I just hate to cut up a decent piece of wood. The stock on the carbine is Brazils best and really is too good for me to bubba butcher. Just hoping for one of the disposable buttstocks.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Terrco uses a router, correct?
This is a 10 inch blade, pattern piece spins against a 10 inch wheel while rotating 360 degrees.
10 inch blade is a lot more cutting suface than 1/2 inch router bit.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

The small Terrco's use a router and are infamously difficult.

Mine has a 2HP motor running 4 spindles via a flat belt. Biggest problem with any of these machines is steady work holding, I've had to custom build a more rigid system than the spur driver and pin tailstock that they come with. Other problem is flexibility of the stylus on the pattern, even though it is quite heavy duty there is still some.

That table saw set up sounds pretty cool, never heard of one like that. 'Course there's no shortage of stuff I've never heard of :mrgreen:
I'd thought of doing something similar with my 1x home build, using an angle grinder with a sawchain blade rather than a router. Not precise, but awfully fast! :lol:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Mine is all auto, set it up, turn it on and stand there with my finger in my ear, watching it work.
Will try to get a picture to you so you can see it.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Numrich lists Rossi Model 92 buttstocks @ $95: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufactur ... htm?page=7

Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

rogn,

If you want to start short & add to it, then this Ranch Hand buttstock could be for you:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =386271291

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

rogn wrote:I found Boyds has new Rossi buttstocks in walnut for 65$, but I just hate to cut up a decent piece of wood. The stock on the carbine is Brazils best and really is too good for me to bubba butcher. Just hoping for one of the disposable buttstocks.
Call Boyds, see if maybe they have a second they might sell you. Might even sell you one cut and recoil pad installed at the length you want.