How to remove ethanol from gas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

How to remove ethanol from gas

Post by Tycer »

Ethanol has a wonderful property of forming a hydrogen bond with water. Simply mix water and gas, shake, let it settle and drain the water/alcohol from the bottom.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: How to remove ethanol from gas

Post by AJMD429 »

But I thought ethanol also attracted water well enough and gasoline well enough, that it would allow one to pull water out of the bottom 'pool' in a gas tank, and let it dissolve among the gasoline, so it would slowly go through the engine and 'burn' without stalling it by coming along in one big glob...????
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Interesting...

But, of more use would be; how do I get sulphur back in the Diesel fuel to burn in my older diesels?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That will take the ethanol out. It will also take out the octane boosting affect leaving an octane rating well below a usuable level for any engine that is built today. The octane of the base gasoline before the ethanol is added to boost it is a pathetically low number suitable to only model Ts or coleman lanterns. Even if you start with premium, you'll wind up with less octane than regular.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Ethanol should never have been put into gas. Aside from being a huge ripoff, the damage done to engines must run into the billons per year.
A video on water in your gas.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Some time back I was on the way home from our hunting lease in GA and I found a place selling non ethanol gas. Non ethanol was $3.29 a gallon, across the street gas with ethanol was $3.19 a gallon. After filling up I traveled aprox 65 miles at speeds of 45-55 MPH thru some small towns on my way back to the interstate. By the time I got to the interstate my average MPG was 27 MPG on my 2012 F-150.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

They are supposed to put a maximum of 10% ethanol in regular unleaded gas. I've tested fuel at work with as high as 18%. That's become the first thing I check when a customer comes in concerned that their mpg suddenly dropped. Most modern engines will run fine on 10-15%, but much more than that it will start causing problems.
NRA Life Member
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Why burn your food to just drive your butt around? during WW2 the German army took all of the potatoe crop to turn into ethanol for the war machine and the people ending up eating sawdust mixed with anything and the people all but starved.We to soon forget history....
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Griff I put a fuel additive for lube and cetane in my diesel trks I get 20 mpg on the highway the new low sulfur will kill your ejector pumps. US diesels are meant to run on 46 cetane you sure dont get that at the pumps nowdays lucky to get 35-36.
Small engines are taking a beating with the 10-15% corn alcohol added several of the gas stations around here conoco and cenex carry 100% gas in supreme, plus and regular and a pump for avgas for those that need a leaded gas for a old car or muscle car. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Anyone noticed that the non ethanol fuel is priced well above the ethanol tainted gas. The ethanol requires more BTUs than a gal of gas contains to produce and is ~20% lower in BTUs, so why is the untainted gas so much more costly than the E10 that originally cost more than the non-E gas. Methinks were being ripped from both ends.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

rogn wrote:Anyone noticed that the non ethanol fuel is priced well above the ethanol tainted gas. The ethanol requires more BTUs than a gal of gas contains to produce and is ~20% lower in BTUs, so why is the untainted gas so much more costly than the E10 that originally cost more than the non-E gas. Methinks were being ripped from both ends.

"WE" think this is good for you. In fact "WE" think this is so good for you "WE" are going to make it much more expensive for "YOU" to do what "YOU" think is good for you.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This is a website that lists ethanol free gas.

http://pure-gas.org/

FWIW, the rural delivery guy I talked to a year ago said his gas didn't have ethanol in it, and the price was less than at the pumps when delivered. They didn't have enough tanks to go around, they supplied a tank if you bought enough fuel from them, which was easily normal use for most. He said he'd deliver to my drums also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Not saying that there isn't a lot of politics involved but there is a dollar reason that "untainted" gas is more expnesive than gas with hooch in it. It cost money to raise octanes. There are other units that do the same but the primary unit for raising octane is the reformer. The reformer uses platinum catalyst that cost generally 50% more than the cost to build the reformer it is used in. To get more octane, you have to run the reformer reactors hotter which uses up the platinum faster. When the refinery knows that ethanol will be added to pull their butt out of the fire as far as octane, they can run cooler and make literally junk base gas.

As far as cetane, I once worked in a smaller refinery that didn't have a CAT cracker and we only made virgin diesel. The cetane of virgin is ~60. That was some great stuff. What a larger rifinery with a CAT unit does is they add what is called light cycle oil off the CAT fractionator. That stuff has squat for cetane and the rifinery uses that to dilute the virgin diesel down to the minimum allowed. When I was in refinerys, that was 45 but it may be lower now.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I switched over to only premium, I was having problems with the small engine stuff ie mower, snowblower, generator, motorcycle. Carburetor were not setup for this stuff. Injected engines can overcome by enriching the mixture. Local police, fire and ambulance services only use premium if they are not diesel. Wonder why!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:Some time back I was on the way home from our hunting lease in GA and I found a place selling non ethanol gas. Non ethanol was $3.29 a gallon, across the street gas with ethanol was $3.19 a gallon. After filling up I traveled aprox 65 miles at speeds of 45-55 MPH thru some small towns on my way back to the interstate. By the time I got to the interstate my average MPG was 27 MPG on my 2012 F-150.
This is the biggest .gov LIE about Ethanol... that it reduces emissions.

Obviously (we've all seen their budgets) they can't do math.

Decrease emissions but decrease MPG and you INCREASE emissions per mile driven.

Maybe (maybe) Ethanol/mbte makes a difference in Urban Trafic-jam Idle Zones, but it just makes everything WORSE out here for us rural types... BY DESIGN.

I lose almost 10MPG running Ethanol in my motorcycle...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use non-ethanol premium in all small engines. I like ethanol this time of the year because I don't have to deal with gas line freezing in the car. Yes a gallon of straight gas has more BTU's than one with ethanol that is why you will get better MPG.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

It might decrease emissions, as noted above, in a very few instances.

What it REALLY does is make the wealthy shareholders of Big Oil and
Big Agra wealthier. The ethanol producers are subsidized by the US
taxpayer, and Big Oil, in addition to being subsidized via tax breaks by
the US taxpayer, add cost+ to the ethanol portion of the gasoline
they sell. And to make matters worse, as also noted above, the vehicle
mileage is decreased, which allows them to sell even more gas. :evil:

And congress continues to allow these subsidies to continue. GGRRRRR! :evil:

Rant off.....

-Stretch
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Actually the "direct" subsidy of ethanol ended and the end of 2011. The real problem is the "Renewable Fuels Act" that requires an unrealistic increase in the quantity of bio-fuels used every year. Of course "They" say it is to encourage the use of algae and switch grass and other such nonsense but, in effect, the ehtanol industry is the only one with an industrial footing to benefit from the requirements of the law.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I got a tank full at Shell a couple months ago that had too much alcohol.
Lost a lot of HP. After an hour on the net I found the acetone trick using pure acetone from the beauty supply, not the hardware store stuff that has water added. It's supposed to modify the fuel and clean chambers, valves etc.
Added 2 ounces to the tank for each 10 gal of fuel and it worked.
After 20 miles it was running better and after 100 miles it started scaring me when I stepped down on it.
Found one post from somebody with a 6 cyl BMW who said he tried two tanks of the mix and when he pulled the exhaust manifold to replace a broken stud he'd had for months the valve stems had no deposits any more.
When I bought the Ram with 90,000 miles on it I had the B&G induction flush done on it and the acetone made very little difference.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Well, thanks for that clarification Leverluver. Result is
still the same, though, wouldn't you say? Grumble, grumble....

Thanks much for that info, Mr. Ranks! I will surely try it.

I just rebuilt 4 carburetors on an '82 Gold Wing I own.
The air cutoff valves were completely rotted through as a
result of the ethanol-laced gas. $117 in parts, most of a day
of labor, and a whole basket-full of colorful phrases later :shock: !
and it was all done. Major PITA as a result of that stuff.

-Stretch
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

To make things worst, the ethanol industry wants to increase the mix to 15%. This will KILL every gasoline engine fuel system other than the Flexfuel E85s.

The auto makers are trying to stop this, with good reason.
Pierre
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

stretch wrote:Well, thanks for that clarification Leverluver. Result is
still the same, though, wouldn't you say? Grumble, grumble....

Thanks much for that info, Mr. Ranks! I will surely try it.

I just rebuilt 4 carburetors on an '82 Gold Wing I own.
The air cutoff valves were completely rotted through as a
result of the ethanol-laced gas. $117 in parts, most of a day
of labor, and a whole basket-full of colorful phrases later :shock: !
and it was all done. Major PITA as a result of that stuff.

-Stretch
Don't get carried away with the mix 1 3/4 to 2 ounces per 10 gallons. If it gets up to 5 or more the acetone may start eating the fuel line hoses.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein