OT Sixgun Shooting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

OT Sixgun Shooting

Post by Scott64A »

Since the sixshooter forum is temporarily down, I'll pose the question here since I know you guys also shoot sixguns, too.

I'm pushing my shots.

They are grouping to the left, and slightly high. I have moved the rear sight to the right, but I don't think it's the sights; it's me.
I want to put the rear sight back to the middle, and work on my follow through/recoil response. How should I follow through?

How do I correct this? It smacks of a golf lesson I bet.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Since I take it your just learning to shoot a pistol the first thing that I would do is get it sighted in off a rest, so you know exactly were it should be shooting.
Next I would get or load up some soft shooting .38 Special Cowboy type loads (Sighted in for these)
Do a bunch of dry fire practice watching the front sight from aiming to well after the hammer falls keeping it still as possible.
Go shooting, just like you have been dry firing, just let the recoil do whatever it wants to do.
Load up the chamber with only four or five rounds then spin it so you don't know wich are empty, if you jerk when it does not go off, keep dry firing some more :D
A .22 revolver would work even better with this exercise!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Thanks, Salvo...

That's a good idea to load only 4 or 5 cylinders and watch The Flinch.

I definately flinch when I squeeze one off.

I'll practice dryfiring and then go sight it in on a rest.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott64A,

Sixgunner.com is doing the same thing we are. They've got a back up forum running.
http://single-actions.phpbb3now.com/index.php

I agree with Salvo, the only thing I'll add is to watch your trigger finger. When I get careless I tend to use my trigger finger to help hold up the pistol. Then my groups head left left left. So remember, the trigger finger pulls the trigger, nothing else.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Without observing you, I would say you're either gripping too tightly, or not pulling straight back on the trigger. Don't squeeze or "milk" the grip as you let off the shot.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'll add a couple little tidbits to what has already been said. Use the first pad of your trigger finger to squeeze the trigger. If you are to the first joint, you are putting too much of your finger on the trigger for good single action shooting.

Another part is mental, I'm assuming you are using good hearing protection, if not, GET SOME, nothing will start a flinch like the noise of the gun, especially the loud crack of a 357. Next time you're at the range, grip the gun fairly loose and fire it. Did it hurt? It shouldn't actually cause physical pain it is going to move but not hurt. You have just adjust your mind to that. I'll also second(3rd?) dry firing, making sure you are following through and the sights are not moving as the hammer falls.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Sixgun Shooting

Post by C. Cash »

Scott64A wrote:Since the sixshooter forum is temporarily down, I'll pose the question here since I know you guys also shoot sixguns, too.

I'm pushing my shots.

They are grouping to the left, and slightly high. I have moved the rear sight to the right, but I don't think it's the sights; it's me.
I want to put the rear sight back to the middle, and work on my follow through/recoil response. How should I follow through?

How do I correct this? It smacks of a golf lesson I bet.
Scott, it can also be a normal thing to indeed have to adjust your rear sight a good bit to hit dead on with a certain load/gun. My Super Blackhawk is this way. Are the rear sights WAY right of center....as in almost maxed, and you are still shooting left? Just thought I would mention that if your grouping consistantly to the left you may just have to adjust your sights further. Are you shooting it off a bag or offhand?
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Such good advice.

Yes, I am using my trigger finger to help hold up the gun, and yes, I may be gripping it too tightly and yes the trigger is up to the first knucle of my trigger finger. I'll try those adjustments and see if I start hitting waaaay right. :)

Also, C. Cash, the sights are all the way to the right and I'm still putitng them left. I am shooting from a standing position, legs shoulder-width apart, and off-hand.

Since I intend to shoot .357mag from this, (and be good at it,) I had better be in proper form first.
Thanks for all your help, guys; I'll put these tips to work and report back in a week or so.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

A problem I always have is focusing on the target and sights. Jumping back and forth.
My Father had a friend that shot for the Navy and he said to focus on the sights only and let the target blur. What a difference it made for me.

Ed
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

As EdinCT said, focusing on the sights and letting the target blur works for me also. And, I can't shoot from the icosoles triangle position, I find the Weaver stance works best for me. I can use the same basic footwork for shooting a rifle offhand as the pistol. I'm just more comfortable. For others it's the other way around.

And I'll chime in with the find out how it shoots off a rest first. Then you adjust to it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Also, C. Cash, the sights are all the way to the right and I'm still putitng them left.
ED,
If you have the rear sight cranked all the way to the side, you may have a mechanical problem. I've seen many Rugers with crooked front sights, and I had one once that the barrel was crooked in the frame.

At this point it's time to stop and regroup. Center the rear sight, then hold the gun up straight in front of your face in both hands with your arms outstretched. Using the sides of the frame as a reference follow them out and look close at the sides of the barrel. They should run straight out from the frame. If the barrel is off one way or the other that will through the groups off.

While you have the gun out there look at the entire front sight. Is it straight on the barrel? Is is tilted? This will play havoc with group placement and sight picture.

Next find somebody who is experienced with single action revolvers and have them shoot the gun. Second opinions are always good. This will confirm or deny any gun problems.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Are you right handed? You might look at this.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Thanks, Hobie.

I have that sheet printed out, and that's how I figured out I was pushing the shots. Of course, I forgot it when I went to the range the other day!

I have tried holding the gun up, and have found it very hard not to use my trigger finger to heft the pistol. It feel like the grips are sort of short for my hand.

I am wondering if new grips would help, but I like the stye of the original grips. Hmmm...

Is there a way to hold this pistol where my trigger finger won't hol the weight?
Here is how I hold it:

To better see my grip without the supporting hand, (left,):

I have also found the front sight doesn't move when I curl my pinky under the butt, which reduces the cramming of my middle and ring fingers. It also relieves the squeezing and pressure on my trigger finger, and allows me to place the trigger in the pad of my index finger, rather than the first joint.

Like this:

Is it OK to put my pinky under the butt? (Oh man, that sounds WRONG,)
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Scott ...to your last question. Sheriff Jim Wilson was on a tv program not long ago,Guns and Ammo I believe,and said that is EXACTLY how you should hold it.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Where there's a will, there's a way.

The adult in me loves the classic style of the original grips, but the kid in me likes the feel of those Hogue rubber grips.

The Scrooge in me doesn't like the idea of spending money on a gun that is already usable, and tells me to just learn a new trick or two. People have been shooting these grips for a loooong time, and shooting them well.

I'm going to check Youtube for that clip, they have it all there.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Your last picure is correct. (Glad to hear Jim agrees!) :P :lol: :oops: Now for the supporting hand; I overlap the fingers of my right with the left, placing my left index just under my right index along the bottom of the trigger guard, using the 1st knucle for weight support, sort of a modified golf grip. This puts my left thumb in position to cock the hammer, no movement of grip necessary; my right thumb rests on the web between left thumb and forefinger.. Practice with slight variations till you find one that feels natural. I really had to think to analyse and then describe my grip, sorry no pics.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Wow, Griff. That sure feels more solid.

I can hardly wait to apply this at the range.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

deleted, double click
Last edited by Griff on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I found a couple of pics of two pards I took up in IL earlier this year that show the "squaw grip" pretty well. They both seem to hold it a little higher than I do, but then it's all a matter or personal comfort. As you can see in "High Brass'" picture, after cocking the revolver the left thumb remains back on the web of the right. This keeps you from reaching back up and pushing against the recoil shield and thereby disturbing the pressure of the gun. You're still holding the gun in the right hand, just adding some support and stability with the left. Heck, what were you going to do with the left hand anyway; play pocket pool? :lol:

High Brass:

and, Gunrunner:
Image[/img]
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Maybe I missed something. But I always thought if shooting to the left , move the REAR sigjt to the LEFT Shooting to the right, move Rear sight to the right. Maybe Ive gone NUTS. //??????? Muttt :oops:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

You're just having a dyslexic moment.

Move the rear sight in the direction in which you want to get to on the target. Too high, move it down.

It's shooting left, so move the rear sight to the right.

Or, in this case, I learn about a whole new world of pistol-shooting. I believe I was using improper form, and am glad to have all of your help.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Scott64A wrote:You're just having a dyslexic moment.

Move the rear sight in the direction in which you want to get to on the target. Too high, move it down.

It's shooting left, so move the rear sight to the right.

Or, in this case, I learn about a whole new world of pistol-shooting. I believe I was using improper form, and am glad to have all of your help.
Yes, that's that way it's always worked for me. Sounds like your having fun and congrats again on a fine handgun.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mutt wrote:Maybe I missed something. But I always thought if shooting to the left , move the REAR sigjt to the LEFT Shooting to the right, move Rear sight to the right. Maybe Ive gone NUTS. //??????? Muttt :oops:
Move the front sight in the direction you are shooting, move the rear in the opposite.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!