1877 Sharps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Don McDowell

1877 Sharps

Post by Don McDowell »

The Shiloh catalog was in the mail today. Price of the #1 1877 (pistol grip) is 2250, #2 model (straight grip) price is 2150
Barrel lengths of 26,28,30,32 or 34 inch, all round.
Chambering will be limited to, 38-55,40 1 11/16bn, 40 1 7/8 st,40-65,40 2 1/2 st,40 2 1/4bn,40-2 5/8 bn,45-70,45 2 4/10,45 2.6
Custom features that can be added, forearm panel, Rigby rib, Schnabble on pistol grip, Ebony inlay in pistol grip, and Ebony inlay in the forearm.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 1877 Sharps

Post by Blaine »

When those were being talked about, I thought a 38-55 would be fun.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very kewl
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

38-55...........a favorite!

Price seems very reasonable for a Shiloh. The Lyman(Pedersoli) version is under $1400.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Blaine one of those in 38-55 with a 26 or 28 inch barrel would be a real hoot for both midrange match and hunting with.
I am disappointed they didn't offer any of the 44 chamberings.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I met the owner of Shiloh at a Shot Show years ago. He did not make a very good impression on me at all. I won't be buying any of their products. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Well Don, you gonna get one in 40-90BN? You can the one man bottleneck accuracy contrarian :wink:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That's a sad thing Tutt, the Bryan family are good people , and do a great deal to promote and foster the bpcr aspect of the shooting sports.

Lever, maybe next year, but a rebarrel , and couple of MVA scopes, 2 cases of powder (most of it shot up this year) couple hundred pounds of certified alloy,,, and my mad money fund is about shot... And sent the roughrider up to have a 7* lead cut in it. But yes I believe that big bottleneck could be made to shoot and do it quite well.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Don McDowell wrote:... the Bryan family are good people , and do a great deal to promote and foster the bpcr aspect of the shooting sports.
That's a fact. They donate a rifle to the Quigley shoot drawing every year.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Vance those rifles that Shiloh donates to the Quigley are serial numbered specifically for that Quigley match.
Also every year, Shiloh donates a specifically built and serial numbered rifle thru a drawing to active duty military personel, plus many of us donate a bit of cash for the second rifle, so there are actually 2 active duty that get a new Shiloh Sharps.
That also does not take into account the dozens and dozens of other prizes they donate to various shoots across the country and Canada, or that they do make available to some match directors a rifle at cost to be given away at that match..
They stand behind every rifle they send out.
Yet with all the Bryan family does for the shooting sports there are folks that seem to feel the need to ,, well never mind :roll:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool. Will have to check it out. Have had an itch for a 40-65 for a few years now.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Oh, dear, I've long had a hankering for a .450/400 Black Powder Express...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Tutt, you musta caught him on a really bad day. While I don't care for the '77 action (looks alone), that's a great line-up of cartridges. And Don, when you get the .40-90BN figured out... let me know your secret! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff, hope to get ahold of one of those to give it a run someday.Had a chance to get one that was a badgersoli, that Dan Theodore had built, but unfortunately not enough in the fun account at that moment.
They were pretty popular with the old deadguys.. So I'm thinking paper patch and either KIK 1.5 or Olde Eysnford 1.5,
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Where would you get good cases for the 40-90BN? The 45-2.6" sized down comes out ~2.610 to 2.615. Will a paper patch handle jumping that gap due to the shorter case? I've never shot black in mine so it didn't really matter but I'm sceptical of that the short brass working with black and paper patch.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Trim down 2 7/8 or the norma 45 basic
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Not aware where 2 7/8 is available; not Starline anymore. I'll check out the Norma.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I just happen to know a fella that has 50-75 Jamison 2 7/8 and 50 Norma basics on hand, sitting around just waiting to be used in "special project" gun. :mrgreen: Same fool also has some 360 gr slicks cast up just needing to be wrapped. :wink: And some 40 cal felt wads..
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Well dammit lets get it done this year. I have plenty of other projects so you can play with mine. I'll probably be heading east in the spring to visit relatives and take the flying lawn chair in for repairs (still searching for that ellusive bottom of a smoking hole in the ground :mrgreen: ). I can reroute past you and drop it off.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That'll work, or maybe if the weather stays half decent next week I can zip up there.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

It will take me a while to round up everything again so next week might be early. I had it all in one place last year but pack rats moved everything :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I bought 200 pieces of Bertram .40-90SBN case about 12 years ago... It took over a year to get... in fact, it was so long that I'd written off ever getting them... but the seller ponied up and doubled my order and included the shipping for my patience. And, after annealing the cases from the shoulder up... they've been working good. I have a collection of about another 200 cases from unmarked, some RCBS marked cases and some CSA marked cases, all starting out as .45Basic.

I really need to cast up some softer bullets, and get back to load up some ammo. The last time I fired it, was a day of testing with crs... my 350 gr hardcast with both smokeless (5744) and BP were very close. The BP, with 90 grains of Goex 2F, averaged 1,576, with an SD of 8.71, while 29 grains of 5744 under the same 350 grain bullet went an ave. of 1,582 with an SD of 8.33. I didn't really get very good accuracy, but I was concentrating on not hitting crs' chronograph that I can't say I was all that focused on the target! Primers were Winchester LRMs.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No rush Lever, give me a holler when you find the rifle again, and we'll get something done from there. :)
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Griff have you tried your bullets from 16-1?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:Griff have you tried your bullets from 16-1?
Nope, that's the alloy area I want to explore.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Griff wrote:While I don't care for the '77 action (looks alone)...
Surely you jest. :shock:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I got to handle the first 77 Kirk built last June. It was the straight gripped gun he took to the Texas state sillouette match and had on display at the NRA show. I have to admit I liked the way the gun handled quite a bit more than I thought I would, and it balanced really nice from the offhand position.
Before I'ld twist off and order one tho I'ld sure like the opportunity to handle the pistol grip gun.