Magtech brass shotshells components?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Magtech brass shotshells components?

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

I have my brass shotshells, steel and lead shot, blackpowder, pyrodex powder and primers. I am in a pinch and need to assemble 20-30 cartridges asap. Without having to order the quanity of needed carding, what could a fellow use to assemble them? Is there materials close at hand that could be substituted til I can afford the standard components? Thanks .DT
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
ndnchf
Levergunner

Re: Magtech brass shotshells components?

Post by ndnchf »

You'll need a punch of some sort to cut the wads. You can get by with locally sourced cardboard (cereal boxes, poster board etc) for wads and Duco cement for sealing them up. If you have access to a lathe, making a punch is easy. If not it will be tough. If nothing else, maybe you could sharpen the mouth of one brass case and use it as a punch. It won't last long, but it might get you by. Sometimes, its just easier to spend a few dollars and buy them ready use.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

.Dirty-.Thirty wrote:I have my brass shotshells, steel and lead shot, blackpowder, pyrodex powder and primers. I am in a pinch and need to assemble 20-30 cartridges asap. Without having to order the quanity of needed carding, what could a fellow use to assemble them? Is there materials close at hand that could be substituted til I can afford the standard components? Thanks .DT
Brass cases are much thinner than plastic, so... if you can find 11ga wads you'd be good to go. You could probably substitute several layers of ¾" diameter wads cut of corrugated cardboard as a cushion wad, but several layers of wool blanket material would be better, and the a light card as an overshot wad. If you use wool as the cushion material, you'll need an overpowder and undershot wad also. I would expect "holes" in the pattern.

DO NOT use steel shot... and burn up the Pyrodex and never buy it again. Stick with real black powder, it's easier to clean up with hot water and a light coating of oil til your next shooting adventure. Pyrodex requires repeated application of soapy water and chemicals to prevent flash rusting over several days to truly clean.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You will need a tight over-powder wad of some sort. If this wad is not tight you will experience a POOF! and the shot will roll out the barrel.
Go here for wads & info for brass shell reloading:
http://www.circlefly.com
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use nail varnish to fix the top card.

In a pinch rolled up newspaper ball/s will work!

In a pinch use a case to mark card and scissor cut...tedious but.......

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.Dirty-.Thirty
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .Dirty-.Thirty »

Howdy Griff, why no use of the steel shot? Preference or reason not too? Was wanting to shoot a duck...
Marlin Owner....Henry Owner....Winchester Owner
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Before fancy cartridges and wads, guys just stuffed old wasp nest down their bores for wadding..
. So really, any fine, highly compressible paper should work as well.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Call Circlefly, tell them what you're trying to load. They'll have the correct wads to you before you can even begin to gather up anything else and it will be the correct stuff.
Listen to Griff, burn the Pyrodex.
I seal my shells with water glass (stop leak) that I buy in the auto dept at Wally World. It's what the old timers used.
Buy a piece of dowel rod of the correct diameter, cut off about a ten inch piece and use it to push the wads in. Powder, nitro card, cushion wad, 80 lbs pressure, shot, over shot card and seal. I don't crimp my brass as I want it to last forever.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I knocked up this crude wad cutter when I ran out of 11 gauge wads.
Old brass shell with the flash hole drilled out to take a bolt as a spindle and a slot cut in the side to poke out the cut wads.
Spun at speed in a drill press it cuts card and fibre wads. Easily sharpened with a file while spinning.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a good idea PO!

Thanks.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!