Safe interior question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Safe interior question

Post by TX50Cal »

I have a Winchester Silverado series safe. I love the fire rating and the safe in general but I don't like how the interior is arranged. The guns sit facing each other on both sides of the safe. I would like to change the way they are placed inside to where I have two rows one behind another and all guns facing the same way. Can I make a new barrel rests out of wood or would you reccommend something else? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Safe interior question

Post by AJMD429 »

This is what I did, and it makes the safe hold more guns, with easier access, barrel-up or barrel-down.

I'd planned on a middle section made the same way, but I wound up just using the side-racks, then the firearms in the middle go in gunsocks and just sit loose. Nonetheless, I much prefer the arrangement than the 'factory' one. I do like the idea of sacrificing some useable 'depth' in the racks and putting a row of guns on the door, though.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is my #2 safe. It's a Liberty/Remington . As soon as I got it, I ripped out all of the interior and got some wood and made a "box" that fit tightly right where it's at. Then I just made the bars in the middle and notched them out every 2 and 1/2". This standard sized safe will now carry 30 long guns but as some have scopes, it will comfortably hold about 24.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Six. do you have enough room to pull rifles out from the back 2 rows or do ones in front have to come out? BTW I found a COTW I forgot I bought packed away in a tub I haven't opened in 8 months.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Turtleman,
Yes, I do, and it's a PITA. I could have put 2 rows in and spaced them further apart but you know what happens when you only make enough room for what you have. :D

The guns in the back row are safe queens so they only come out once a year anyway. My GO-TO rifles sit up front.....M-1A, AR.....then I have my #1 GO-TO rifles. They don't sit in the safe at all and are in arms length, spread around real well. :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I use RIFLE RODS from gun storage solutions in my safes. It allows me to arrange the rifles in any configuration I need/want depending on scopes, bipods, dumbazz AR handles, or large lever loops. I am very happy with the way they have worked for me. One hint though is to get their fabric to line the under side of the shelf, if you don't some of the rods will slip and your guns fall over. No need to ask how I know this. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.