Fuel Stick Handwarmers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Fuel Stick Handwarmers

Post by 86er »

For you cold weather region residents: Any tips on using fuel stick powered handwarmers? What is the best way to light the stick and how do you make sure it is burning when you close the case? Can you put the stick out if you are done and going indoors? Re-use it? Any information on the best way to use these is appreciated.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fuel Stick Handwarmers

Post by cshold »

Joe,
I had one of those fuel stick hand warmers about 10 or so years ago.
I had nothing but problems with it. I wound-up throwing it away.
If and when you can get the fuel sticks to lite & stay lit, they put off a very bad odor.
Those fuel sticks draw moisture like nobody’s business,
Once they draw moisture, it’s all but impossible to keep them burning.
A number of years ago I picked up a vintage new in box 50’s JonE hand warmer that runs on Zippo fuel.
No noticeable odor and they stay hot all day.
My suggestion, go to ebay and pick up a vintage JonE or Zippo hand warmer.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think what you are talking about.
I had a coleman model, it worked well; and was a welcome addition to the gear.
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I tried a fuel stick warmer 20+ years ago and it was hard to keep light and stunk when in use. HotHands disposables are safe, effective, and cheap enough girl me if needed.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Hey, lookee this.
The Jon-e versus Zippo deathmatch.
And Amazon Zippo warmer reviews.

Interesting writeup for anybody considering either.
Off the cuff, it looks like I'd probably favor Jon-e for constructions and it's ability to stand unsupported.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Panzercat wrote:Hey, lookee this.
The Jon-e versus Zippo deathmatch.
And Amazon Zippo warmer reviews.

Interesting writeup for anybody considering either.
Off the cuff, it looks like I'd probably favor Jon-e for constructions and it's ability to stand unsupported.

Interesting on the use of the "99% Isopropyl alcohol" I'm going to have to try that. :idea:
That's what I use in my alcohol stoves.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

This guy's into handwarmers...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzZANDAQlk
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Ditto, on not using them while hunting - too much "stink"; and you'll have heat/burn problems if they're used w/o being inserted in the felt bag they were issued with.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not about the fuel sticks, but in WV a few years ago the cousins sent us to the dollar store for hand warmers. They have some that are small plastic pouches one inside the other. You break the one on the inside and mix the chemicals. They get hot and stay that way for several hours.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Used fuel stick pocket warmers a lot when I was young, never had any problems. Yes you could put out and relight, but they were so cheap was not worth bothering with. That was a long time ago though so don't know how things have changed.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I used the Jonee's that were my Dads years ago. I would light them and put them in a washcloth before putting them into my pocket.
I also remember someone had a few 308 Win cartridges go off in there pocket that had a Jonee in it. No real damage but a burnt trouser pocket :o
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:Not about the fuel sticks, but in WV a few years ago the cousins sent us to the dollar store for hand warmers. They have some that are small plastic pouches one inside the other. You break the one on the inside and mix the chemicals. They get hot and stay that way for several hours.
Yep - we use these - http://www.hotsnapz.com/ - ZERO odor, no flame, no fuel... 8)
Warm Hands.jpg
They will work even when you're totally wet (as in stepped through ice into freezing water), or underwater, for that matter (as in scuba).

Some of our older ones (same concept different brand name) are 20 years old and haven't worn out yet. We recharge them in boiling water and not in the microwave, though, and that might make a difference.

They last only about an hour, so if you're out all day, you may want several, but since they're reusable and compact, not a big deal to take a bunch of em. Never tried the big 'pad' ones but they may last longer. I usually wear adequate clothing to not 'need' the handwarmers other than maybe to extend my time out by another hour, or in case I get wet, but it's nice to have a few in a pocket or wherever just in case.

The little ROUND ones they make would probably fit in gloves better, but I didn't know they made them when we got ours. They also make a back-warming belt.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've lived in the far north and worked the winter season to the arctic circle. I never saw anyone use them to the best of my memory. What worked was army surplus gun mitts (Canadian issue). The ones with the mitt flap and an inner mitt with a separate trigger finger.

Heavy wool mitts with a separate leather outer mitt is standard wear in the bush for arctic cold. One good secret is to always dry your mitts and boot liners/socks every night. More than one trapper froze to death because they failed to dry and air their blankets or bags regularly. It is well known but warm fingers and toes start with longjohns (leg well lined), warm chest and a warm hat. I don't get itchy from wool but many do. My favorite headgear is a ball cap with a heavy toque over the top. If it gets sunny and warmer out I can put the toque away but still have a hat on with a visor.

My emergency kit includes some of those one time heat packs. They are well worth the trouble to carry a couple.

Where are you going were a Texan would need such gear? I'm guessing Alaska or maybe up here.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

I waited before posting this related tangent .
Related because I hate to wear gloves or mittens on my lever operating hand but numb fingers and thumb are not a safe way to operate a levergun.
Several years ago I got a box of the chem hand warmers , the open plastic wrap and expose to air type .
A " special bonus " in the box was a thin fleece pouch with velcro to make a bracelet type thing :roll: :lol:
The laugh was on me .
Rather than trying to rewarm my cold trigger hand in a pocket with the warmer over and over , I tried the silly wrist pouch thing.
Wow :o It worked great !! The warmer against the underside of my wrist , protected by the cuff of the coat made a huge difference .
First , it warms the blood flowing into my hand which keeps the fingers functional.
Second and also important ( IMHO ) it rewarms the cooled off blood leaving my hand as it returns to circulate again.
I can always stick my hand in my pocket when it gets cold .
For me , I could stand 10 - 15 degree colder temps with better dexterity and feel warmer overall for longer times .
I lost the wrist wraps for a few years , but , the tops of old dress weight socks , needle and thread and some velcro is simple and easy to make your own .
Phil