Henry Repeating Arms' H011- Original Henry Rifle 1860

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Henry Repeating Arms' H011- Original Henry Rifle 1860

Post by Hagler »

http://henryrepeating.com/The-Original-Henry-Rifle.cfm

...Now, the Original Henry Rifle is back in all its American-made glory.

The Original Henry Rifle is virtually identical to its history-making forerunner in all aspects. The only exception: it is a .44-40 caliber. The 1860 version was made in caliber .44 Rimfire, also invented by Benjamin Tyler Henry, but long an obsolete cartridge. Every other facet remains true to its inventor, and each gun's serial number begins with the initials BTH in his honor.

Made with the same American pride and attention to detail as all Henry Repeating Arms rifles, the Original Henry Rifle features a hardened brass receiver with the same tensile and yield strength as steel; a one piece, 24 1/2 inch octagonal barrel/tubular feed; a genuine American fancy walnut buttstock and a classic folding ladder rear sight paired with a traditional blade front sight.

Model Number H011
[*]Action Type Lever Action
[*]Caliber .44-40
[*]Capacity 13 + 1
[*]Length 36 ½"
[*]Barrel Length 43“
[*]Weight 9 lbs.
[*]Stock Fancy American Walnut Buttstock with Hardened Brass Buttplate
[*]Sights Folding Ladder Rear, Blade Front
[*]Finish Hardened Brass Receiver with Blued Steel Barrel
[*]Price $2,300.00
...though, I believe that their figures, in the chart, for the barrel length & overall length are not correct. :wink:

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Henry Repeating Arms' H011- Original Henry Rifle 1860

Post by yooper2 »

Sure is pretty but ouch, my wallet screams in agony at $2300! Can't wait to hear from folks that have gotten to handle/shoot them.

Eric
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

It's neat to see them being produced in the US again. I wonder if one has been put through the test?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's a beauty - & I like the chambering !

IMO the workmanship & original-looking design are worth every penny actually paid (not necessarily MSRP), especially when what looks to be a fair amount of hand fitting to the muzzle end & BP's is considered.

It's an unreasonable expectation to think American folks would do fine handiwork for chump change.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

That is a rifle I'd love to own
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

This does look pretty nice. You get what you pay for.....buy once cry once.

Great, so Henry has proven that they can make something with a barrel longer than 20". Maybe now they can add 4" to the H001T and make a real rimfire "rifle".
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Pete44ru wrote:.

That's a beauty - & I like the chambering !

IMO the workmanship & original-looking design are worth every penny actually paid (not necessarily MSRP), especially when what looks to be a fair amount of hand fitting to the muzzle end & BP's is considered.

It's an unreasonable expectation to think American folks would do fine handiwork for chump change.

But is the "workmanship and original looking design" any better than the Uberti 1860 at almost twice the price? I know there are folks who will pay a premium for the "Made in the USA" mark, but the model 1860 is a niche/low volume model even for Uberti. Interesting to see how the market responds on this one. In any case, good to see it happen! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh but for the brass. I like steel guns. But, it's Very Nice, I wonder how many pre-orders they're waiting before the actually produce any? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

yooper2 wrote:Sure is pretty but ouch, my wallet screams in agony at $2300...!
If I were spending that much on a lever gun it would be a Bighorn Armory Spike Driver.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

the Original Henry Rifle features a hardened brass receiver with the same tensile and yield strength as steel
I'm just not buying that brass as strong as steel thing. Not the first time that Henry has put out some misinformation either.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Griff wrote:Oh but for the brass. I like steel guns. But, it's Very Nice, I wonder how many pre-orders they're waiting before the actually produce any? :P
Davidson's has them listed, but shows them out of stock.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/defa ... ?item=H011
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I wish they'd chosen a cartridge closer in size to the originals. That stretched carrier area just doesn't look right to my eye. I only know of one maker who offers a receiver of the correct proportions, and it's a tiny shop in Europe.

Given the numbers Henry will make, the price is fine so long as it is a high quality product. The one Uberti I ordered I returned due to so-so quality control. Regardless, I have no need for a 9 lb rifle firing a mild cartridge.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

It appears that Henry RAC is updating their Web site, right now. This is the DELUXE version:

http://henryrepeating.com/The-Original- ... -Rifle.cfm

Model Number H011D
[*]Action Type Lever Action
[*]Caliber .44-40
[*]Capacity 13 + 1
[*]Length 36 ½"
[*]Barrel Length 43“
[*]Weight 9 lbs.
[*]Stock Fancy American Walnut Buttstock with Hardened Brass Buttplate
[*]Sights Folding Ladder Rear, Blade Front
[*]Finish Hardened Brass Receiver with Blued Steel Barrel
[*]Price $3,495.00

Using existing photos of those historic patterns, our artisans have replicated a distinctive scroll design which at the time was an evolution to both greater detail and fuller coverage engraving. They copy the original pattern, engrave the receiver to depth, and hand chase the scroll to add bright cuts and detail to this beautiful embellishment.

The Original Henry Rifle Deluxe Engraved is a proud part of our effort to maintain the Henry legacy of beautiful and exemplary rifles. Limited to 1,000 units and featuring deluxe fancy American walnut buttstock. Serial number range is BTH00001 to BTH01000.
Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

With a limited edition of 1000 units, they are going to sell this deluxe edition like hot cakes at a Methodist prayer breakfast. Sadly, not to me!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

AJMD429 wrote:
If I were spending that much on a lever gun it would be a Bighorn Armory Spike Driver.

...and I think .44 Spcl would have been closer to the original.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

... or a .44 Russian

I love my Uberti "Henry 1860". It is in .45 Colt - which I know is no-where near accurate, as far as caliber goes, but since I have several .45 Colt firearms, I opted for ammunition exchangability over anything else. As much as I like Y2K's H100L, and as much as I like Henry Repeating Arms promise to only make guns in the USA, I just can't see paying 2x as much for one! :shock: :(
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

... or a .44 Russian
... or .45 Auto Rim

That deluxe model is sure nice looking, I'll give them that.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Rusty wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:

... or a .44 Russian

I love my Uberti "Henry 1860". It is in .45 Colt - which I know is no-where near accurate, as far as caliber goes, but since I have several .45 Colt firearms, I opted for ammunition exchangability over anything else. As much as I like Y2K's H100L, and as much as I like Henry Repeating Arms promise to only make guns in the USA, I just can't see paying 2x as much for one! :shock: :(
The 44/40 is probably to "protect us from ourselves" as some dude would invariably stuff it full of smokeless Bear Stompers in 44 Special and then promptly sue the company for not protecting him from himself. Sad that we live in a society where that dynamic predominates. I agree......would have loved the 44 Special and it would have made it more appealing and usable to me personally. That being said, it would still be neat to have one.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

my guess is that the bulk of the market will be CAS shooters, thus 44-40 is the right choice. Especially if black powder is going to be used. 45 LC would be the other choice for that market. However, Henry is attempting to build an authentic recreation. I can't find one or I would be test shooting it now! :mrgreen:
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The gun is in production.
Denis
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

buckeyeshooter wrote:my guess is that the bulk of the market will be CAS shooters, thus 44-40 is the right choice. Especially if black powder is going to be used. 45 LC would be the other choice for that market. However, Henry is attempting to build an authentic recreation. I can't find one or I would be test shooting it now! :mrgreen:
That is true....hadn't thought about CAS.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

IF the folks at HRA can match their production to their HYPE, and IF they ever decide to make a run of these rifles in .45 Colt or .44 Special, I'm in for one..

(Oh, and IF they will properly "match-polish" appropriate parts, and keep the rifles out of the hands of their aggressive, ham-handed impressarios of the buffing wheel... :evil:

44-40 Willy wrote:
the Original Henry Rifle features a hardened brass receiver with the same tensile and yield strength as steel
I'm just not buying that brass as strong as steel thing. Not the first time that Henry has put out some misinformation either.
SOME brass (bronze) alloys are as strong as SOME steels..

I have to wonder if a descendant of George Herter, or even P.T. Barnum, writes their press releases and advertizing...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

" hotcakes at a methodist prayer meeting "
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'd like to see it aged to verdigris so I can see how it will go with the rest of the green metal on the boat.

What is it a 44spcl can do that a 44/40 won't?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

As pretty as that gun is, if I had $2300 for a gun it would prolly go for an M1A or M14...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I like the 44 Russian idea with a matching S&W model 3 pistol. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Buck Elliott wrote:IF the folks at HRA can match their production to their HYPE, and IF they ever decide to make a run of these rifles in .45 Colt or .44 Special, I'm in for one..

(Oh, and IF they will properly "match-polish" appropriate parts, and keep the rifles out of the hands of their aggressive, ham-handed impressarios of the buffing wheel... :evil:

44-40 Willy wrote:

I have to wonder if a descendant of George Herter, or even P.T. Barnum, writes their press releases and advertizing...
Ain't that the truth. His description of his products were ahead of his time. Wonder how he would have done on fleabay or kregslist
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
ndnchf
Levergunner

Post by ndnchf »

It sure looks like a nice rifle. But I was they would have made it for a .44 centerfire cartridge of the same overall length as the original .44 Henry rimfire cartridge. The changes in the receiver they and Uberti made to accomodate the .44WCF and other rounds stick out like a sore thumb. A shortened .44 Special case could be dubbed the .44 Henry centerfire. It would be easy to reload with readilly available components, could duplicate original ballistics and would hold the same number of rounds in the magazine as originals.

I know its unrealistic because they are catering to the unwashed masses, many of who do not reload. But if they did, I would be a LOT more interested.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Both Henry & Uberti have to design & produce to sell to the largest market share.
Restricting the rifle to an obscure wildcat caliber attractive only to handloaders wouldn't generate enough sales to bother producing the guns.
Denis
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, it sure is purity and I would like to have one. But, I keep thinking for $2300 I could have a Les Baer 1911 Comanche. I do commend Henry for building it. Maybe I will get a big tax refund. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

ndnchf wrote:It sure looks like a nice rifle. But I was they would have made it for a .44 centerfire cartridge of the same overall length as the original .44 Henry rimfire cartridge. The changes in the receiver they and Uberti made to accomodate the .44WCF and other rounds stick out like a sore thumb. A shortened .44 Special case could be dubbed the .44 Henry centerfire. It would be easy to reload with readilly available components, could duplicate original ballistics and would hold the same number of rounds in the magazine as originals.

I know its unrealistic because they are catering to the unwashed masses, many of who do not reload. But if they did, I would be a LOT more interested.
Back in the day, there WAS a .44 Henry Center-fire cartridge, which was developed for, and adapted to, the final run of "Improved Henry" rifles, which we also call the 1866 Winchester.. Most all of those rifles went to South America, under contract, and are only rarely seen in the U.S. Today..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

What's needed is for Henry Repeating and Uberti to agree with an ammo maker to produce again the .44 Henry Flat rimfire and the rifles for it, such as Hornady and Marlin did for the Marlin Express cartridges. Not that I'd expect many people to buy them...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

What is NEEDED is for people to realize that it ain't gonna happen, because the market would not support it...

Large-bore, non-reloadable, rimfire ammunition, and newly-made guns to go with it are the classic definition of a team of dead horses..
Regards

Buck

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Agreed, which is why in other posts on the new Henry, I've suggested the .45 Auto Rim instead, which is close to the .44 Henry in dimensions. Not that I'd expect many people to buy them...

I wonder what .44 Henry would cost these days? It uses about 5 times the materials of a .22 LR. The case needs a draw more like a .22 WMR, though. Let's see, Midway sells the nearly obsolete .22 WRF for about $0.16 each. Perhaps the Henry could be sold for $0.50 a piece, or a box of 50 for $25? Nah, .45 AR is closer to $50. On the other hand, cheapie, imported .22 Hornet is $25/box or about double what jacketed .22 WMR is, so maybe $30 to 35 a box for the Henry is possible, and I know non-reloaders who think nothing of blowing off a $30 box of .45 ACP. Hmmm, no, I don't see many takers at that price, but I'd be tempted. :wink:
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Incidentally, the BH "cowboy" lead was a hotter load than either of the two commercial jacketed soft-points I chronographed through the rifle.
Denis
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Big difference between .22 WMR and .44 Henry, on so many levels..

Ammo companies know they can sell tens of millions of .22 mag ammo, while the market for the .44s would probably be less than 200,000 rounds per year..

Obviously, a Lot more material goes into a .44 RF cartridge than into a spindly little WMR..

I'd expect the shelf price of American made .44 Henry Flat ammunition to approach $2 per round.. Maybe even more..
Regards

Buck

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

$2 each certainly won't sell, but I have to wonder if it would be that high. I was surprised at how low .22 WRF sells for. It would be interesting to talk with someone in the industry and better gauge the price. Regardless, I agree it's not coming back.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Just as an aside... I never thought I'd see ammo for the venerable old .45 Colt sell for over 40 Bucks a box either, but it has and does...
Regards

Buck

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

KWK wrote:Agreed, which is why in other posts on the new Henry, I've suggested the .45 Auto Rim instead, which is close to the .44 Henry in dimensions. Not that I'd expect many people to buy them...

<snip> :wink:
Adironjack's 45 Cowboy Special would be the ticket. Same length as the 45 ACP / AR and really close to the 44 Henry RF. Rifle would hold a bunch of them and they, at least the brass, is available from Starline I believe.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wish someone made a scaled down [ in price and size ] 22lr version !
cable
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For a while Uberti made an 1866 in 22LR. Years back I handled one. Thought it was interesting but not enough for me to buy it then.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

hfcable wrote:wish someone made a scaled down [ in price and size ] 22lr version !
A couple of small, independent makers have produced what you're asking for, but billed them as Volcanics.. One fairly 'local' shop offered both rifle and pistol versions, in several barrel lengths.. Parts were CNC machined from solid stock..
Regards

Buck

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

J Miller wrote:For a while Uberti made an 1866 in 22LR. Years back I handled one. Thought it was interesting but not enough for me to buy it then.

Joe
A good friend of mine has a Uberti '73 carbine, in .22 WMR...
Regards

Buck

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Buck Elliott wrote:A couple of small, independent makers have produced what you're asking for, but billed them as Volcanics.. One fairly 'local' shop offered both rifle and pistol versions, in several barrel lengths.. Parts were CNC machined from solid stock..
Are any of those shops still making them?
Last edited by KWK on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

I have to agree. My gripe about Henry has always been their deceitful advertising.

For the record, I have an Uberti replica 1860 Model Henry. Mine has the iron frame (actually steel) and it is chambered for 44-40. (my avatar is a photo of the frame) I am an avid CAS shooter and I only shoot mine with Black Powder, it has not seen a round of Smokeless ammo since it left the proof house. I can tell you though, you do not see very many Henry rifles at a CAS match. They have a few peculiarities that other lever guns do not, so they are not very common.

Anthony Imperato is no dope. He is doing exactly what Aldo Uberti did. After building a few Henry rifles chambered for the original 44 Henry Rimfire cartridge, Uberti stretched the frame in the cartridge elevator area and chambered it for 45 Colt and 44-40. These guys know (knew) what they are doing. As somebody has already said, these are niche rifles. They are in business to sell rifles. They are not going to chamber it for cartridges other than those two. Forget such chamberings as 44 Russian, 45 Cowboy Special (nobody even loads that one commercially) and all the others. A non-reloadable 44 caliber rimfire? Not going to happen. The frame will remain stretched for the 44-40 and 45 Colt length cartridges.

Just for fun, here is a photo of some of the cartridges we are talking about. Left to right they are 44-40, 44 Special, 44 Russian, 44 S&W American, 44 Henry Rimfire, 45 Schofield, and 45 Colt.

I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
Winnetou
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winnetou »

There are some exceptions to this rule. When Uberti and Chaparral reintroduced the Winchester 1876, all four of its calibres were long obsolete. Armi Sport offer the Spencer rifle and carbine in a centre fire .56-50 chambering that never existed before. These rifles may not sell in the quantities of those popular for cowboy action shooting, but their continued presence in the market shows that it is possible to successfully sell rifles in calibres that haven’t been available in ages.

I have long thought that rim-fire cartridges in calibres larger than .22 could be successfully reintroduced. Since they aren’t re-loadable, the cases could be made of aluminium, which is much cheaper than brass, and readily recyclable (Blaser had a line of single-use aluminium cased centre-fire ammunition). The aluminium cases could be anodised in a brass or copper colour. Low-cost rim-fire ammunition could become quite popular with those who do not wish to re-load, as well as those who are interested in historical arms and loadings. It would be almost ideal for CAS.

Correctly-dimensioned Henry and 1866 rifles, as well as rim-fire versions of single action revolvers, would be a clever way to sell more guns in a market that is already quite saturated. For example, I suspect that many shooters who currently own Uberti Henry rifles would be tempted to purchase a new Henry with the original dimensions and chambering.

This could readily be taken beyond the .44 rim-fire. There are thousands of fine old rifles in .25, .32, and .38 rim fire, whose owners would like to shoot them.

With regard to the early replica Henry rifles in .44RF—it is my understanding that these were amongst the first batch of rifles manufactured by Navy Arms in the U.S., and that the receivers were the same size as the .44-40 model.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Well I would agree with using a shorter cartrige. This much money , I would want a cartrige that is very near the origonal. I shoot 44 Russian in origonal S&W's. I would have been thrilled with a real Henry in that caliber. Better 44 American ! That would have been like icing !
Imagine if the plan had been "parts interchangable" with the originals. I can live happily with real 1873's.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Correctly-dimensioned Henry and 1866 rifles, as well as rim-fire versions of single action revolvers, would be a clever way to sell more guns in a market that is already quite saturated. For example, I suspect that many shooters who currently own Uberti Henry rifles would be tempted to purchase a new Henry with the original dimensions and chambering.
Howdy Again

Well, I am completely happy with my 44-40 Henry, and frankly cannot understand why anyone would want one chambered for 44 Henry Rimfire. I will not be looking for a 1860 Henry chambered for the rimfire round in the unlikely event that one is chambered for it.

Regarding the difference in dimensions, it is so slight that it does not bother me at all. I just compared the OAL length of one of my standard 44-40 rounds to the 44 Henry in my photo. The difference is right about .275. So all other things being equal, the carrier and area of the frame that houses the carrier would be about .275 shorter on a 'correctly' dimensioned Henry vs my Uberti version. Not much difference. Certainly not enough for me to get excited about.

44 Henry Rimfire was a pipsqueak round, that's why the 44-40 was developed to replace it. Only about 28 grains of Black Powder vs 40. Winchester understood the limitations of the round, so 44WCF was introduced in 1873 with the Model 1873 Winchester to replace the Henry round that had been chambered up until then in the Henry and 1866 rifles.

As far as 44 Russian is concerned, yes I do load it, with Black Powder, for shooting in original S&W #3 revolvers. That is what they are chambered for, so that is what I shoot in them. I am not interested in a new made replica being chambered for 44 Russian either. 44-40 is just fine with me.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Driftwood Johnson wrote:Well, I am completely happy with my 44-40 Henry, and frankly cannot understand why anyone would want one chambered for 44 Henry Rimfire... 44 Henry Rimfire was a pipsqueak round, that's why the 44-40 was developed to replace it.
I'm more the other way: I'd rather have a Henry or '66 in the rimfire, and if I must use a .44-40, I'd rather just have the '73 for which it was developed.

Regarding aluminum cased rimfires, Winnetou, has it been done for the .22 LR? If it's suitable but more economical than brass, I think it would have shown up there already.
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Howdy Again

I guess part of my antipathy towards the lower power rounds in a Henry are because of the weight of the gun. If you have never hefted one, they are heavy. My Uberti Henry weighs 10 pounds 6 ounces. Compare that to the weight of my 24" Uberti 44-40 '73 or my original 24" Winchester 38-40 '73, coming in at 9 pounds 3 ounces each. The reason the Henry is so heavy is because the barrel and magazine are machined from one solid bar of steel, unlike all the later Winchesters that had separate tubular magazines. Sorry, I just think it is ridiculous to be shooting such a light round out of such a massive gun. With a full charge of FFg behind a 200 grain bullet in my Henry I never feel the recoil, because the gun is so heavy, and 35 grains or so of FFg going off gives a very satisfying boom. It just would not be the same with 28 grains of powder.

I'm sure if the original Henry had continued in production past 1866, it would eventually have been chambered for a more powerful cartridge.

Hmmm....just noticed that HRAC claims their 1860 Henry weighs 9 pounds. Something is not right there. That's what a '66 or a '73 should weigh