Anyone else changed how they practice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Last week, out here, they picked up a couple more nut cases on the highway.
They had an AK with a bunch of clips, some pipe bombs and both were wearing bullet proof vests.
They're far from the first and I changed my practice targets a while ago to head and thigh shots. I've also increased the range from close up to 50 or 60 feet.
I'm use only heavy flat point jacketed for carry in the .40's because it'll do a better job breaking a thigh bone, the bruise from a vest hit won't put anybody on the ground.
With the .357 I carry speed loaders for reload. Once the adrenaline hits and your hand starts shaking half the single reloads will end up in the dirt.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone else changed how they practice?

Post by FatJackDurham »

I just read the article and have a few questions, hypothetical of course. Naturally, these guys are a couple of nuts, but out of curiousity, what are the actual crimes?

1) Misconduct involving explosives: I figure this is the statute:
"Selling, transporting or possessing explosives without having plainly marked, in a conspicuous place on the box or package containing the explosive, its name, explosive character and date of manufacture"

So, if the guys had taped a sign on the box that said, "Explosive, Improvised, Pipebomb - Gunpowder Variety, "Pipe Bomb", Loud Bang and schrapnel, made today" Would it still a crime?

2) Misconduct involving weapons: I figure this is the statute:
"1. Carrying a deadly weapon except a pocket knife concealed on his person or within his immediate control in or on a means of transportation:

(a) In the furtherance of a serious offense as defined in section 13-706, a violent crime as defined in section 13-901.03 or any other felony offense; or

(b) When contacted by a law enforcement officer and failing to accurately answer the officer if the officer asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon; or"

So, it it was a legally purchased AK, and not a full automatic, and he wasnt on his way to do anything bad, was it still a crime?

3) Use of body armor during a felony: The above to crimes are misdemeanors. What was the felony?

I mean, like I said, its technical curiosity. But it seems like the law they charged them with doesnt make the news description sound like they were technically breaking the law, so long as they werent on thier way to blow something up.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

A shot to the pelvic bones puts them on the ground right now. Then double tap if they don't stop being a BG. A shot in the rear cheeks, and they will remember it for months I'm told!

Pipe bombs and such clearly fit within ATF rules on any other weapon involving gun powder, only authorize people can have things which are essentially grenades, I'm betting the doofus wasn't an authorized person, so its still 10 years for them being the pokee (sic) mandatory I'd say.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

williamranks wrote:Last week, out here, they picked up a couple more nut cases on the highway.
They had an AK with a bunch of clips, some pipe bombs and both were wearing bullet proof vests.
Well, first of all, if we simply pass some common-sense laws against having "a bunch of clips" and "bullet proof vests", I'll feel safer. Of course all the ranchers or homeowners who keep "a bunch of clips" around to protect against home-invasion robberies, or the pharmacists and visiting nurses I know who wear Kevlar vests, might actually be less safe, but I'm a Hoplophobic LibTard and how I feel is more important than anyone else's reality.

Not sure what "pipe bombs" are, but they sound like things normal (rural, male, at least) kids made when I was young. I would never have taken them out and driven around though - because at the age I was making them I was too young for a driver's license... :o :lol:

The sad part is that:
  • a) they probably were actual bad-guys, and it is too bad our system is creating more of them and allowing them to thrive.

b) the societal response will be to make laws against things, and good-guys will be prevented from doing harmless or even socially constructive things, but the bad-guys will have no real hurdles preventing them from doing the bad stuff they do.

However, I suppose one should take the 'gangbanger' issue into account when practicing any self-defense tactics. Those folks come to the fight already 'escalated', vs. the old-school criminal who may be out simply to steal something and use force to intimidate anyone stopping him, but these new types are often just seeking to rape, kill, and maim, for the pure sake of it, often without even 'targeting' a victim for any particular valuable good they may be in possession of, but rather due to skin color, clothing style, or whatever...

Of course much of the tactically reasonable-and-proper response would involve the very kinds of things that get the news media all aghast - AK's, and Kevlar...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Change how I practice? No. I've always assumed that whomever is aggressing me has at least SOME form of torso protection...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Explosives charge is easy, pretty much any bomb you make is a destructive device - you have to have manufacturing licenses and follow a bunch of regs.

Firearms charge can be tagged on no mater whether the firearms were legal or whether they were used to do anything illegal with - they can be charged wit hweapons charges for possessing any firearm while committing a crime.

It is good to mix in headshots, etc. in your training. Thighs can be hard to hit, you might want to aim a bit higher, too.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

but I'm a Hoplophobic LibTard and how I feel is more important than anyone else's reality.

OK I'll bite. What's a hoplophobe? I'm an ethical psychopath myself.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

williamranks wrote:but I'm a Hoplophobic LibTard and how I feel is more important than anyone else's reality.

OK I'll bite. What's a hoplophobe? I'm an ethical psychopath myself.
hopolophobe: Fear of Weapons.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Nope.

Didn't before, don't now, :o

Don't believe in the "P word". I shoot for its own sake, not in practice for something else.
Slow is just slow.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Practice... Practice? What's that? Oh, wait, I remember now... that's what you do with someone else is supplying the ammo you're burning up!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Its Sept 11 so I go shooting - I've not missed an aniversary yet.
My range has a plate rack that makes head shot training easier. Too easy, so I added another 40-50 feet of rope to the regular 40 foot reset lever rope.
In my day, 9mmP would penetrate a vest that would stop a 45, and you had to go up to the next level ( IIA I think) to stop fmj 9. These days, seems like every man and his dog has some type of armor.
And yeah, i practice leg shots too. Close up, it does the trick cracking the bone. With the benefit of not killling anyone. If close enough, foot shots work as well.
Against people that think you're unarmed, and want to play baseball with your head, or think you should pay them because they just showed you their heirloom grade giant "Wolf Killer" stilleto, tactics like these lend new meaning to the word SURPRISE!!
- Brian
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I have noticed lately that as the eyesight and dexterity start to go away that my shooting practice has started to change. I now can take a 7-8 round mag of .45acp, aim at the bulls-eye or (x), and take out the sternum, both lungs, one eye, and usually a leg or two. :shock: :D I did not plan it this way, it just happens. :twisted: :lol: All I had to do to accomplish this was get older. :)
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Rifleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rifleman »

dennie wrote:I have noticed lately that as the eyesight and dexterity start to go away that my shooting practice has started to change. I now can take a 7-8 round mag of .45acp, aim at the bulls-eye or (x), and take out the sternum, both lungs, one eye, and usually a leg or two. :shock: :D I did not plan it this way, it just happens. :twisted: :lol: All I had to do to accomplish this was get older. :)
dennie
LOL! That's too funny!

I always thought of the "what ifs" when it comes to shooting. That is why I shoot at smaller and smaller targets; just in case they don't go down, I'll be able to hit a spot that counts.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I am concerned about guys with pipe bombs, vests, the clips isn't such a big deal.

A kid on the farm blowing up a bale of hay is no concern to me.

Guys out in public prepared for mortal combat just seems a bit much regardless of zip or postal code. I really worry about my American LEO friends who have to deal with this as a real risk for a traffic stop. Two heavily armed guys with armor and grenades against a decent law abiding police officer is a serious disadvantage.

I'll say a quick prayer for all of them tonight.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Canuck Bob wrote:I am concerned about guys with pipe bombs, vests, the clips isn't such a big deal.

A kid on the farm blowing up a bale of hay is no concern to me.

Guys out in public prepared for mortal combat just seems a bit much regardless of zip or postal code. I really worry about my American LEO friends who have to deal with this as a real risk for a traffic stop. Two heavily armed guys with armor and grenades against a decent law abiding police officer is a serious disadvantage.

I'll say a quick prayer for all of them tonight.
Bob, 99% of "LEO friends who have to deal with this as a real risk for a traffic stop" is Media/LEO Brass Fantasy designed to make more and more restrictive laws.

Many people (and more likely not a few of us) have played with Explosives far more "dangerous" than those pikers - and we did so long before the insanity of US DHS.

The "risk" to LEOs at traffic stops is several orders of magnitude less than the Risk of going to a common-ordinary "Domestic".

But Domestics are not Sexy, nor do they hold the same Anti Freedom Agenda value that a couple of "nuts with guns" do.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I certainly appreciate that the anti-gun faction uses such issues in their favor. I do not support restrictive laws and live in a country far more restrictive than the USA. I do not buy into the nonsense of 99% of American media. I just wished to show support for honest folks who are faced with this reality.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yeah, I don't have anyplace free to shoot so I just sit in front of the TV, point my finger at it and yell: "bang - bang". :roll:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***