Another gun reunion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Another gun reunion

Post by jnyork »

I enjoyed 86er's story about being reunited with his old rifle. Here's a similar story, I posted it back a couple years ago but some of the new guys might enjoy it::

Lander, Wyoming in 1948-49 was a small, remote ranch town of about 2500 people where the Great Depression was just starting to end. As a nine year old boy, I would spend my 15 cents at the Saturday matinee and then go hang out at my favorite place, Spaldsbury's Saddlery and Sporting Goods. What a wonderful place it was: odors of new and old leather, new and old horse blankets, pipe smoke, original Hoppes and gun oil, occsionally a faint whiff of whiskey. Glass cabinets full of old Colts and Smith&Wessons. Racks full of Winchesters, Remingtons, Marlins, etc. More racks full of surplus Krags, Springfield bolt guns and trapdoors. Fishing gear too. Spitoons and sawdust on the floor.
One day a brand new Winchester 67 Youth appeared, price only $13.00 IIRC. I had some Christmas and birthday money squirreled away and conned Dad into spliting the cost. I didnt have to sign for it but Dad had to come down and carry it out for me.
I spent the next 3 years or so potting tin cans, stray crows and riding along behind Dad on old Poppin' Johnny, terrorizing prairie dogs. I learned to shoot with that gun.
At age 12 or 13 I got the hots for a new Remington model 512 at Spaldsburys, so I traded in the 67 on it This was in about 1952. Never looked back until much later in life.
In 1982, my Air Force career at an end, I moved back to Lander to start a new life. Every once in a while I would go to a gun show and see a Model 67 Youth and get a lump in my throat, longing for the days of my childhood and kicking my self for ever trading off my very first gun.
About 3 years ago my wife and I stopped at a yard sale put on by an older fellow here in town. He had some guns on a table and there it was, a Winchester 67 youth in very good condition. Got to chatting him up about it and asked him the history of the gun. He said he got it for his little son but the kid never took an interest in it, so it had been in the back of the closet for the last 50 years. I asked him where he got it, he said he bought it used at Spaldsburys in about 1952!! I gave him his $100.00 and ran for my truck , shaking like a leaf!
I cleaned it up and took it to the range to shoot a few cans, which I did, but it was difficult, I kept getting some smoke in my eyes.
My very first gun is back with me, and holds a place of honor in my safe. Life is good.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: Another gun reunion

Post by GonnePhishin »

Wow, talk about a small world. What are the chances that you would have bought your old rifle back? Now you can pass it on to your children or grandchildren :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wow, that is amazing.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I musta missed that the first time around... Good story. Boy gets gun... Boy loses Gun... Boy gets gun back... classic story! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I notice that you didn't say that it was the same gun, just that it's the same model.

Timing seems good, and I'd never doubt a fella couldn't recognize his own gun, but did you find some defining or recognizable feature or battle scar from days gone by that indicates that it really is the same gun?

Not trying to take anything away from your prize, it's just passing curiosity.

Either way, you've got a firearm that you cherish.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Awesome! It is an strange feeling at first but it is nice to re-acquaint as you know.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

FWiedner wrote:I notice that you didn't say that it was the same gun, just that it's the same model.

Timing seems good, and I'd never doubt a fella couldn't recognize his own gun, but did you find some defining or recognizable feature or battle scar from days gone by that indicates that it really is the same gun?

Not trying to take anything away from your prize, it's just passing curiosity.

Either way, you've got a firearm that you cherish.

:)
This is a very small town and was even smaller in 1952, 2500 people at most. The chances of Spaldsbury having two used Model 67 Youth were absolutely nil.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

What a wonderful outcome! Thank you for sharing.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I remember the story from the first time around. It did the same thing to me this time as it did then, made my eyes leak.

I have more than a couple guns I'd love to have back.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love a happy ending....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is just awesome. Great story. I have a 67 Boys Rifle I bought for the kids and a 512 that belonged to my Grandfather. Both great rifles.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! These are great stories!!! It is wonderful hearing on these "reunion" stories!!! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Another strange coincidence.

But the win goes to 86er as far as "the odds" and "the adventures of a rifle crossing state lines". :D His rifle made it across the country and yours never did leave town, but....................your rifle wins on "being used" as rifles in Jersey don't get shot while yours probably helped feed a family. :D ---------6

On further thought, maybe Joe's rifle was used in "bad things" as Jersey is full of mobsters so it may have been used once or twice and then hidden away.

Hey Joe, any threads on the end of the barrel on your rifle? :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD