Wanna pick some peaches...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Wanna pick some peaches...?

Post by AJMD429 »

Wanna pick some peaches...? :twisted:
Wanna pick some peaches - 1.jpg
They are the best crop we've had in years, as far as very few rotted, no bugs, etc...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Wanna pick some peaches...?

Post by AJMD429 »

...there is a certain reason this is posted on Leverguns; it has to do with 'situational awareness'...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe another picture will help...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

We had one in an oak tree by our house years ago, white faced hornets. We went out one night and put a garbage bag around it and cut the branch to free it. Then we took a can of wasp spray and put the entire contents of the can into the bag which fumigated all inside. Then the kids were able to take the nest to school. Ours was the size of a basketball.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:shock: We`ve had to destroy three nests this year , two ground nests and one like that under the bumper of the MH.

That puts meaning to the saying , eat and run. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Guess they like peaches too! :shock:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If I had a hornets nest like that I'd put a buzzer in it, some plastic hornets around it and hang it under my front porch.

That might keep the solicitors and near-do-wells away. :twisted:

As far as picking peaches with that in the neighborhood .......... not a chance.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Pitchy wrote: That puts meaning to the saying , eat and run. :lol:
better would be run and eat
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

When you see one of those closed-in nests like that one and you know there are nasty and aggressive hornets ready to go on the attack. I cleared out one of those from the side yard about 10 years ago but have encouraged nests of "paper wasps" that make those open-faced nests: I have a large nest of them in one of my gable vents right now. My theory is that you have either one or the other around and the "paper wasps" are very non-aggressive toward humans.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

My neighbor had a bumper crop of peaches this year as well. They were too lazy to thin the tree out so ended up with a number limbs breaking off due to the weight.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Firstly, I'd like to say that I wish I could get peaches to grow that well in Aridzona. :( We tend to have wasps and yellow jackets vs. hornets though. One hornet we're supposed to have is the bald-faced hornet, but I don't know that I've seen one:

Yellow jackets are common as flies and wasps too, but they pretty much just leave you alone! Our Africanized bees are more dangerous than anything else we've got. :?

Our scariest wasp is the tarantula hawk. With a stinger that is over a quarter of an inch long it'll put the hurt on you BIG TIME if you were so unlucky (reportedly the second most painful insect sting in The Americas), but they are not usually aggressive towards humans. I see these quite often, but not usually this large: :D

:shock: :lol: (Yes! That's real!!)
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

olyinaz wrote:Firstly, I'd like to say that I wish I could get peaches to grow that well in Aridzona. :( We tend to have wasps and yellow jackets vs. hornets though. One hornet we're supposed to have is the bald-faced hornet, but I don't know that I've seen one:

Yellow jackets are common as flies and wasps too, but they pretty much just leave you alone! Our Africanized bees are more dangerous than anything else we've got. :?

Our scariest wasp is the tarantula hawk. With a stinger that is over a quarter of an inch long it'll put the hurt on you BIG TIME if you were so unlucky (reportedly the second most painful insect sting in The Americas), but they are not usually aggressive towards humans. I see these quite often, but not usually this large: :D

:shock: :lol: (Yes! That's real!!)

That's a mid-size mosquito in MI.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

tom deinek wrote: That's a mid-size mosquito in MI.
Northern Minnesota too. :lol:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Brushing line surveying, and getting into meter boxes, and other water utility vaults, I've been stung so many times I can't remember how many :evil: Those bald face hornets carry a grudge, and chase you forever and a day......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

olyinaz wrote:Firstly, I'd like to say that I wish I could get peaches to grow that well in Aridzona. :(
We had good luck with Peaches Apricots Plums and Almonds about 20 miles S of Tucson.

The only problem we had with the Peaches was June bugs.we had to pick them a few day's early and let them finish ripen on the porch, other wise the June bugs would get em.

---- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J35nut wrote:
olyinaz wrote:Firstly, I'd like to say that I wish I could get peaches to grow that well in Aridzona. :(
We had good luck with Peaches Apricots Plums and Almonds about 20 miles S of Tucson.

The only problem we had with the Peaches was June bugs.we had to pick them a few day's early and let them finish ripen on the porch, other wise the June bugs would get em.

---- J
Almonds I can see, but the fruit just doesn't seem to like the heat we have these days. We set a record this year for consecutive days above 100 before the monsoon, and we're getting days in the 100s during the monsoon now. I've never seen anything like it in Tucson. Reminds me of Phoenix in the 1980s.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

J35nut wrote:The only problem we had with the Peaches was June bugs.we had to pick them a few day's early and let them finish ripen on the porch, other wise the June bugs would get em.
That's why we run our chickens under our fruit trees. Hardly any bugs that way. We let them into the blackberry patch in the winter, and they stay under the brambles and safe from hawks and owls.

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

BlaineG wrote:Brushing line surveying, and getting into meter boxes, and other water utility vaults, I've been stung so many times I can't remember how many :evil: Those bald face hornets carry a grudge, and chase you forever and a day......
they do carry a chemical grudge - they release pheromones when angered, and the entire hive will never forget
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

JB wrote:My neighbor had a bumper crop of peaches this year as well. They were too lazy to thin the tree out so ended up with a number limbs breaking off due to the weight.
We could be neighbors 8)
Not lazy , but my wife refused to thin out the early peaches . :roll:

Some branches propped up , we did more after these pics. Also thinned out some of the fruit .

Phil
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Those peaches in the OP ...... unless we had a sub 40 degree night and I was brave enough , well there is always next year :wink:
Phil
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Rusty wrote:We had one in an oak tree by our house years ago, white faced hornets. We went out one night and put a garbage bag around it and cut the branch to free it. Then we took a can of wasp spray and put the entire contents of the can into the bag which fumigated all inside. Then the kids were able to take the nest to school. Ours was the size of a basketball.
I need to find one about that size to drop on a certain neighbor's front porch.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein