30-30 and other ammo shortages !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

30-30 and other ammo shortages !

Post by wll »

I saw 4 boxed of 30-30 at Walmart in Lancaster, CA yesterday and did not get it ;-) . it was gone today, as was just about every other caliber !

Had business in Santa Clarita, CA today and stopped by their Walmart ....ammo shelves bare, a few boxes of 243 and that was it !

No I'm not looking for 223 or 7.62x39 or anything like that, just some good 30-30 ammo (want 170 gr Remington Core Lokt). The sales clerk told me to be there at 7am every day as they dont know how much ammo comes in and in what calibers !

I did not realize how bad the lack of ammo was as I have a good supply, but a little on the light side in 30-30 !

I put my name in at some big ammo suppliers and on their waiting list, I will buy a supply immediately when it becomes available.

wll
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 30-30 and other ammo shortages !

Post by Blaine »

I fear Kali is going to be ammo-he11 before long.... :( Best try to find some before you have to register for it :( .....Since I don't plink with it, I've managed a healthy supply of loaded stuff, and enough bullets to reload for a lifetime of hunting....(I saw the handwriting on the wall in '07 and started buying up everything I could afford...)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

BlaineG wrote:I fear Kali is going to be ammo-he11 before long.... :( Best try to find some before you have to register for it :( .....Since I don't plink with it, I've managed a healthy supply of loaded stuff, and enough bullets to reload for a lifetime of hunting....(I saw the handwriting on the wall in '07 and started buying up everything I could afford...)
Yes, I have PLENTY, just not a lot of 30-30 as I may buy another and set it up a little different than my other hunting guns. an XS rail and iron sight set up and a Burris or Leopold scout scope, that would be like my 45-70 ;- )

A scout scope is very, very fast target acquisition for sure. The iron sights would be on at about 75, the way I would set her up !

wll
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wll wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I fear Kali is going to be ammo-he11 before long.... :( Best try to find some before you have to register for it :( .....Since I don't plink with it, I've managed a healthy supply of loaded stuff, and enough bullets to reload for a lifetime of hunting....(I saw the handwriting on the wall in '07 and started buying up everything I could afford...)
Yes, I have PLENTY, just not a lot of 30-30 as I may buy another and set it up a little different than my other hunting guns. an XS rail and iron sight set up and a Burris or Leopold scout scope, that would be like my 45-70 ;- )

A scout scope is very, very fast target acquisition for sure. The iron sights would be on at about 75, the way I would set her up !

wll
I love a Scout Scope setup 8) 8) I have one on the Ruger Scout Rifle, and will put one on me 336 30wcf....my old Win 94 will retain the original sights...I don't think I could shoot much past where a scout scope will let me see :oops: (200yds?)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rusty wrote:Try http://www.gunbot.net
Of course, everybody else is using it too. :roll:

I did get 200 rds of .22 lr the other day when Gunbot said that Cabellas had it and I needed some other items to make it worthwhile. This has gone way past ridiculous...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Ya, I'm looking at that web site, I'm checking everything out and will be a Wally World early for sure :-)

wll
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

olyinaz wrote:

I did get 200 rds of .22 lr the other day when Gunbot said that Cabellas had it and I needed some other items to make it worthwhile. This has gone way past ridiculous...
This is way past ridiculous .. I smell a rat, something is wrong, how much ammo is the govt buying up !

........ Unless folks are so afraid of this administration, and they are buying EVERYTHING in sight !

wll
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

olyinaz wrote:

Oly,

That is a blatant understatement.
wll wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

This is way past ridiculous .. I smell a rat, something is wrong, how much ammo is the govt buying up !

........ Unless folks are so afraid of this administration, and they are buying EVERYTHING in sight !

wll
wll,

I agree with you too. The ammo panic during the Klinton regime wasn't near this bad and it was bad. I bought some ammo and components consistently for a lot of years. In recent years I've bought very little. Around here, as in other places, there is very little to buy. My wife checks WalMart's ammo every time she goes in and has told me there is nothing, zero, zip, nada to be had.

I don't know about the local gun shops as I've not had the funds to go visit them.

The sad thing is I don't see this trend stopping anytime soon.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I rarely go to places like Walmart or Sportmans Warehouse for ammo. All the newbies who don't know where the gun stores are go to those big places, so of course they are cleared out.

Lately ammo has been coming back a bit around here - in the gun shops. Haven't been in the big stores lately though, I figure why waste time on it? I do remember last December I could buy ammo, powder, and primers at a gun store for a couple months after Sportmans Warehouse was picked clean.

So if you want a true gauge of the situation, go to a couple of your local long established gun stores.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

92&94 wrote:I rarely go to places like Walmart or Sportmans Warehouse for ammo. All the newbies who don't know where the gun stores are go to those big places, so of course they are cleared out.

Lately ammo has been coming back a bit around here - in the gun shops. Haven't been in the big stores lately though, I figure why waste time on it? I do remember last December I could buy ammo, powder, and primers at a gun store for a couple months after Sportmans Warehouse was picked clean.

So if you want a true gauge of the situation, go to a couple of your local long established gun stores.
Mom & Pop are gouging like sonsofguns around here.....My WallyWorld is bare of about everything..literally!!

Cabela's in Lacy kept the price the same no matter the inventory, and, they have a little bit of everything these days.....I'll be loyal to those that stayed loyal :wink: :idea:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The gun store nearest me has always had higher than normal prices on ammo. He's had a lot of it, but it was mostly priced over suggested retail and I couldn't afford that. What his prices are now, I have no idea.

The second nearest place was priced decently but I haven't been in there in a while.

As for the gun shows, I have no idea what's going on around central IL now. I haven't been to a gun show in three years.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

I go to my local shops and other shops around me, and I'm more than happy to support my local shop to keep them in business ........ Unless their prices are way off base and I feel as I'm getting the shaft .

I'll be going to the shops tomorrow and putting $ in the bank if I should get an email that the ammo I wanted is in stock !

I would love to work something out with my local shop for a case of 30-30 Remington 170 gr Core Lokt!

I will be looking for a 336W also !

wll
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I think the middle men are hording the ammo to keep prices up.take a look at gunbroker rifle ammo.over 11,000 items.222 pages. :evil: .http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

The two shops I frequent the most are in line with what I'm guessing will be the new normal after this panic. 9mm is around $20/50, 44 mag about twice that. Surplus 7.62x51 is running about $0.75 per round. These two guys may be a bit high, a few bucks over Sportsmans Warehouse, but if they have product and I don't have to wait on line with 100 other people, well, I don't mind that much. Once the lines are gone, we'll see.

The local online scalpers are charging about double those prices, and you can get 22lr from them for $60/500. Those are the guys showing up and waiting on line I figure, and at least for now they must be getting their prices.

I like supporting those shops not just for surplus ammo (that the big stores don't carry), and the lack of crowds, but also because I really like used guns and surplus guns. I don't mind paying a bit more if those guys need to stay afloat until its business as usual again. Heck, you go in there 4 times without spouting any crazy stories and those guys then treat you as a regular :mrgreen:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

The 2 LGS around here don't price gouge at all. They sometimes limit the amount you can buy, but it's at a fair price. A couple of days ago I bought 2 boxes of Remington .308 Reduced Recoil for $20 per box out the door. MidwayUSA sells it for $24 and they are out of stock. Needless to say our LGSs have loyal customers!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wll wrote:I put my name in at some big ammo suppliers and on their waiting list, I will buy a supply immediately when it becomes available.
Try http://ammoseek.com/. . . they have 170gr Rem Core-Lokt as of this moment....
3030Rem170.jpg
BlaineG wrote:Mom & Pop are gouging like sonsofguns around here.
In a free-market economy, those sonsofguns who 'gouge' are the ones who ultimately restore the supply side of the demand-supply balance; otherwise with no 'gouging' you get to look at bare shelves with no ammo. The only way the ammo makers will commit to repairing or re-tooling unused machines, purchasing new ones, paying overtime, or hiring extra help, will be IF they can get a great influx of money to fund it. That 'incentive' is what the 'gouging' funds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

My local gun shops prices are quite high.

Haven't seen 30-30 in a store (local Bi-Mart to Wal Mart) for quite a while. Although some CCI 22 LR seems to be making its way out more and more.

I thought DHS halted their massive ammo-buy....

Was able to pick up 7.62x39 at Wal Mart last week but it was over .75/cartridge. :evil:

I have no idea what the "new normal" will be like.....

Rob
NRA
1894c

Post by 1894c »

oregon73 wrote:My local gun shops prices are quite high.
Haven't seen 30-30 in a store (local Bi-Mart to Wal Mart) for quite a while. Although some CCI 22 LR seems to be making its way out more and more.
I thought DHS halted their massive ammo-buy....
Was able to pick up 7.62x39 at Wal Mart last week but it was over .75/cartridge. :evil:
I have no idea what the "new normal" will be like.....
Rob
Congress ordered DHS to stop hording, they put a limit on their purchases...
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

BlaineG wrote:I fear Kali is going to be ammo-he11 before long.... :( Best try to find some before you have to register for it :(...
Yup. It's time to learn how to reload and get the components while you can, online or locally.

Now you can see part of the purpose of that "3 Powders" thread. Buying less powders in bulk is cheaper, and easier on the Hazmat fees as well, since you buy it all at once.

Grab primers, powder. One-time brass isn't all that impossible to get, and lead bullets are still available in most calibers if you look.

There is not yet a registration mechanism set up for rolling your own. And by the way, I recently purchased some .45 Colt ammo as a loading standard, more or less. I had to give them my thumb print at a Big 5 store, so the tracking has already started here in earnest. Not so with my reloads, although it probably won't be long before trace material is put into the gunpowder for ID purposes, just as is done with certain explosives.
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

JohndeFresno wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I fear Kali is going to be ammo-he11 before long.... :( Best try to find some before you have to register for it :(...
Yup. It's time to learn how to reload and get the components while you can, online or locally.

Now you can see part of the purpose of that "3 Powders" thread. Buying less powders in bulk is cheaper, and easier on the Hazmat fees as well, since you buy it all at once.

Grab primers, powder. One-time brass isn't all that impossible to get, and lead bullets are still available in most calibers if you look.

There is not yet a registration mechanism set up for rolling your own. And by the way, I recently purchased some .45 Colt ammo as a loading standard, more or less. I had to give them my thumb print at a Big 5 store, so the tracking has already started here in earnest. Not so with my reloads, although it probably won't be long before trace material is put into the gunpowder for ID purposes, just as is done with certain explosives.
Hi Johndefresno !

I just moved up to the Lancaster, CA area a few months ago and to my great dismay most of my reloading dies and presses were ruined from water damaged where I had them stored. I through away at least 10 sets of dies including my Dillon 550B !

Thank goodness my old Rock Chucker is still working. I'm in the process of buying a few die sets as I don't shoot the stuff I used to reload for, The dies that I will use would be 44 mag, 45-70, 30-30 and maybe 357 mag.

Have all the fix-ens that I need, just need to get dies and not sure, I may have a set or two that are in good order. I plan on ripping the garage apart to find out exactly what I need.

I just put in another "notify me" this time for Federal Power Shock 170gr, as that ammo also gets some good reports.

Take care,

wll
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wll wrote: ...most of my reloading dies and presses were ruined from water damaged where I had them stored....
wll
wll,

Perhaps a few minutes in a your sonic cleaner, or that of a hand loader friend in the area, would do the trick with the rusty dies or parts, if they aren't too badly damaged on critical surfaces. I have some great used dies that were slightly rusty on the outside that work perfectly and are in spec. You could them offer them for sale here or elsewhere, with the proper honest provisos that they were rusty at one time. In that way, you can possibly recover some of your investment.

Another solution:
RCBS and Dillon both have amazing lifetime guarantees on their stuff. If you can retrieve what you threw away, you might be able to replace needed parts, or even the whole die, by calling or e-mailing RCBS or Dillon.

As a new hand loader, I once ruined the clear plastic cylinder of my RCBS Uniflow measure by leaving the powder in it for a week during humid weather. The powder etched the plastic so that I could not see how full the container really was. I told RCBS precisely what I had done. They sent me another one, postage free, no questions asked. They have replaced parts to some second-hand equipment (purchased from a another hand loader who "upgraded to Dillon") more than once in the same way, even though I admitted to them that this was not an original purchase.

Dillon claims that their guarantee - a "No BS Guarantee" in their words - is even more inclusive, although I don't see how. If it is broken or damaged or doesn't work, it seems, they will replace it, no matter what. Anyway, I would put their promise to the test!

Cheers -

John
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

JohndeFresno wrote:
wll wrote: ...most of my reloading dies and presses were ruined from water damaged where I had them stored....
wll
wll,

Perhaps a few minutes in a your sonic cleaner, or that of a hand loader friend in the area, would do the trick with the rusty dies or parts, if they aren't too badly damaged on critical surfaces. I have some great used dies that were slightly rusty on the outside that work perfectly and are in spec. You could them offer them for sale here or elsewhere, with the proper honest provisos that they were rusty at one time. In that way, you can possibly recover some of your investment.

Another solution:
RCBS and Dillon both have amazing lifetime guarantees on their stuff. If you can retrieve what you threw away, you might be able to replace needed parts, or even the whole die, by calling or e-mailing RCBS or Dillon.

As a new hand loader, I once ruined the clear plastic cylinder of my RCBS Uniflow measure by leaving the powder in it for a week during humid weather. The powder etched the plastic so that I could not see how full the container really was. I told RCBS precisely what I had done. They sent me another one, postage free, no questions asked. They have replaced parts to some second-hand equipment (purchased from a another hand loader who "upgraded to Dillon") more than once in the same way, even though I admitted to them that this was not an original purchase.

Dillon claims that their guarantee - a "No BS Guarantee" in their words - is even more inclusive, although I don't see how. If it is broken or damaged or doesn't work, it seems, they will replace it, no matter what. Anyway, I would put their promise to the test!

Cheers -

John
Well, the dies were so filled up with rust I had to throw them away, you could barley recognize them. The press was just a mess along with 6 + die holder sets that were matched to that press, it was a loss of lots of $

Soon as I can, I'm going back to the garage and see what I have that is usable.

wll
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

Well, Just went to Walmart again today at 7ish and no ammo, They have not gotten a shipment in 3 days !

wll
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

If you can go in with a buddy to defray the Hazmat and shipping costs (by purchasing a large shipment), you might have more luck online. Speaking of luck, Lucky Gunner frequently has ammo from various suppliers, in a pinch. They have some 44 Mag and other loads right now:
http://www.luckygunner.com
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

Op, try Big-5.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Coming back from the doctors this morning I stopped at the smaller of our two LGSs a couple towns away. He had an excellent supply of ammo including 22LR, 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, .223, all pistol calibers except 9 mm, and every centerfire rifle caliber I looked for, including more than a few boxes of .348 and new .32-40. Walmart's shelves are bare, except for shotgun shells and a few common center fire rifle calibers. If you're thinking that the small LGS's prices are keeping his ammo from going out the door you're wrong. His Win .32 WS Leverevolution is $23 a box and .40 S&W Low Recoil HydaShocks $2 less than Walart's...when they have them! It's always a pleasure to stop by this small LGS owned by a old school, retired gunsmith!
wll
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wll »

I've had a huge re thinking of what I'm doing !

I have LOTS of 44 mag, so I don't need to buy ammo in my life time !

My 30-30 ammo is on the low side, but do I need more ? no, maybe 200 more rounds !

My 45-70 ammo and bullets are off the charts, It would last 3 lifetimes ! So I could buy another 45-70 and use it till the ends of time !

When I say I have lots of bullets and brass, mean lots of bullets and brass ! I would be able to hunt from now until the ends of time !

I think another 45-70 is in order !

wll