My Daughter Wants a .40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

My Daughter Wants a .40

Post by Blaine »

:D :D And is asking the best way to go.....I have a 1911, a Glock, LCP, and a Springer XD-M.....all those could translate into a design for a .40.....I'd feel better for her to have a no muss, fuss DAO if she can remember not to shoot herself....
I'm so proud 8)
AND, she invited me to go shooting Monday.....is life good, or what?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Re: My Daughter Wants a .40

Post by RustyJr »

I would say Glock just for the simplicity not to mention reliability. The 23 (compact) is the perfect balance in my experience. Good size to remain controllable yet still compact enough to carry concealed. I tried the 27 (sub-compact) but found the grip to be too small. Found myself having to re-grip between shots. I have carried a 23 for the last three years without issue. In the end I would say let her handle and shoot as many different kinds as possible and let her pick what she is most comfortable with.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Yup.....She already has a real nice, older S&W Blue/Stag 36 with 3" bbl that I gave her.....If she likes my G30, I'll rent her a .40 in that size and see if she likes it...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

A friend of mine has a CZ in .40 and I've shot it. I was very impressed with it. Accurate and reliable and all steel construction if I recall. A very nice .40!

Rob
NRA
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I have a Springfield Sub-compact in .40 S&W. It is a bit thinner in the grip (which is why I have it, small hands, short fingers) she should shoot it well.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RustyJr wrote:...I would say let her handle and shoot as many different kinds as possible and let her pick what she is most comfortable with.
RustyJr
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
RustyJr wrote:...I would say let her handle and shoot as many different kinds as possible and let her pick what she is most comfortable with.
RustyJr
+1.
Yup....I just like bragging on Her a bunch 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

There ain't no better time that range time with yur kid. Good for you and her!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I personally believe the 9mm is more than enough. One thing for sure, the 9mm is a lot easier to control and as a girl, she will be more inclined to shoot it more in order to develop the confidence we all need when we whip it out.------------------------6
Model A Uzi’s
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I think Sixgun is right; but if she insists on a 40 take a hard look at the S&W M&P40.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:I personally believe the 9mm is more than enough. One thing for sure, the 9mm is a lot easier to control and as a girl, she will be more inclined to shoot it more in order to develop the confidence we all need when we whip it out.------------------------6
That depends. My middle daughter is so thin I think she has worms, but she prefers a wide-body Para Ordnance 12-shot 45 to any of the 9mm's she's shot (KelTec, Ruger, and full-size Taurus, as far as being fun to shoot...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:I personally believe the 9mm is more than enough. One thing for sure, the 9mm is a lot easier to control and as a girl, she will be more inclined to shoot it more in order to develop the confidence we all need when we whip it out.------------------------6
:lol: Don't tell her that....She has been a good shot for over 15 years, and recoil does not really bother....My .45s do not hold any mystery for her 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Blaine, my grandson has a Kahr PM .40 that is a real nice gun and it does shoot good. My wife enjoys shooting it when we can get to the range. She can hit golf balls with it so the trigger is not to bad.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'd recommend the M&P in 9mm or .40 over the Glock.

That said I've carried a Glock for 14 years (G30). Most women find the M&P fits them better than the Glock with the interchangeable backstraps (yes, Glock now has them, but they're not as thin).

I am not a .40 guy, as I'd always had 9mm and .45 I had no real need for it. I just put 1,000 rounds of .40 through an M&P as my duty gun, and it recoils less than a Glock 22 or 23 (having shot both extensively) and noticeably less than the XD and XDM according to two guys who were qualifying with those and shot mine (and now want S&Ws......).

I'm content with the .40 as a duty pistol but the 9mm performs just as well with modern ammo and you gain a few rounds. Recoil is less, mostly an issue when shooting one handed.
Three of the five women in our qualifying group run M&Ps, the other two run Glocks either by agency decree (issued) or familiarity (her husband shot Glocks his entire career and when she went in, she's got large enough hands it's not an issue and has put thousands of rounds through Glocks so stuck with what she's familiar with).

Either are good guns, but in .40 the S&W wins on recoil reduction over the Glock. In 9mm they're about the same. You can also get M&Ps with and without thumb safeties. (1911 type).
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

RustyJr wrote:I would say Glock just for the simplicity not to mention reliability. The 23 (compact) is the perfect balance in my experience. Good size to remain controllable yet still compact enough to carry concealed. I tried the 27 (sub-compact) but found the grip to be too small. Found myself having to re-grip between shots. I have carried a 23 for the last three years without issue. In the end I would say let her handle and shoot as many different kinds as possible and let her pick what she is most comfortable with.

RustyJr
+1
It is not the critic who counts
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

my glock 21c has less recoil than my buddie's s&w 40. Just that its a double stack and fits my long fingers nicely :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

My daughter is 5'6" with no excess baggage......well except for the baby due in 3 weeks. She tried M&P, Glock, Beretta PX4, Kahr, Sig, Ruger, Springfield XD, and Walther PPQ. She settled on the Walther in 9mm. I prefer hers over my Glock 19; but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the Glock. Her husband carrys a Walther PPS single stack 9mm which she has tried and she still prefers her double stack PPQ. In the interest of being thorough give it a try; it may make a believer out of you. BTW it comes in .40 also.

PS - She tried them all at Wade's on a Sunday (ladies night, cheaper). According to the map you're a lot closer than we are.

Bob in Friday Harbor WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A lot of this will depend on whether or not I can get her to apply for a carry permit :roll: Yes, I know...I have no idea where she got the "hard-headed" trait :oops: I don't know why they don't make more DA w/decocker :(

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Because DA/SA was a solution looking for a problem, and people want a single trigger type to learn.

Thus why DAO revolvers, 1911s and Glock-type triggers sell the best.

They're still out there, they'll never permanently go away, but they won't be 'popular'.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:Because DA/SA was a solution looking for a problem, and people want a single trigger type to learn.

Thus why DAO revolvers, 1911s and Glock-type triggers sell the best.

They're still out there, they'll never permanently go away, but they won't be 'popular'.
For the expert, no doubt....For EveryMan, a DA provided a large cap, somewhat safer carry than a cocked and locked SA (or, a DAO stupidly carried with finger in wrong place :roll: ). A nice single action trigger for plinking/target, and rapid deployment for SD....No? Yes?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Glock 27, if you want the BEST for your child. you can buy a lone wolfe 9mm barrell for a $100. This allows alot of cheap practice with the 9. I have this set up with 9, 11, 13, 15, and 22 shot .40 mags and 10, 17 and 33 shot 9mm's. 8)
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

It's her pick, not yours. My daughter picked out an FNP-40, and she's good with it!!!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

The Glock is one of my faves for myself when I need a pistol bigger than my Sig 238 or Colt Det Special

I don't like the lack of a manual safety for most though --- but if she is accomplished enough that this is not an issue, then Gaston Glock's company makes darn decent self defense kit, even if they are ugly :lol:

I carry a G-29 and keep a G-20 in the truck a lot of the time here lately
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The basic rule of 'keep your finger off the trigger' suffices for most of the world's population, those it doesn't either learn with an embarassing hole in a wall, or shouldn't be armed with anything more dangerous than a butterknife.

DA triggers won't stop negligent discharges due to finger-on-trigger. NYPD, if I remember correctly from their own published statistics, had MORE negligent discharges with revolvers than automatics, even though their Glocks have revolver-like NY-1 12 pound triggers (which are nearly unshootable) because of that theoretical 'safe' of the heavy trigger.

If she doesn't like the Shield, the Walther PPS is the same size and also excellent though the mag release takes some getting used to.

I like Glocks, having been shooting them for going on 20 years and carrying them nearly that long, but I feel the M&P is a superior design. S&W more or less set out to fix all the problems people were complaining to Glock about them not fixing (which, after losing a ton of sales, they FINALLY fixed partially with the Gen 4 guns.....ironically, Glock USA had been telling them since 2000 they needed these changes, but the Glock Austria Perfectionists said they didn't. Heard direct from a senior Glock representative.)
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I've got 3 .40's for carry. Astra A-75 single stack, Astra A-100 double stack and a Kahr P-40 with night sights.
I did my research before I bought the Kahr and after I bought it I went to the website and ordered their compensated barrel. Back then it was $100.
The Kahr shoots the best but only holds 6-7 rounds depending on the mag.
The others hold more but they're heavy, steel frame.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:A lot of this will depend on whether or not I can get her to apply for a carry permit :roll: Yes, I know...I have no idea where she got the "hard-headed" trait :oops: I don't know why they don't make more DA w/decocker :(
DA w/Decocker is old technology, the transition from 1st to 2nd shot was bothersome to some...the striker fired pistols (Glock, S&W M&P, Ruger SR, SA-XD) are easier to train with, easier to shoot, same trigger pull every shot...we can take a "new LEO", who isn't a gun guy/gal, and have him/her qualify with a Glock in a couple of sessions (10 hours I believe)...

i like Glocks, tried the M&P (both in .40S&W and in 9mm) traded them away and went back to Glock (just prefer the simplicity and the familiarity, just a personal preference)...i carry a Glock 27 in .40S&W as my EDC, i also own a Glock 23 (woods gun). as far as the .40S&W, we have had three OIS's (officer involved shooting) within the last two years and the .40S&W has had good results...my buds back-east with NYPD do very well with their Glock 19's in 9mm... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm much, much better with a nice single action trigger pull. A dozen years ago I shot grouse with my G36, so I have done both....For SD, I don't worry too much about perfect accuracy...Just about double tapping that LCP into the BG's chest....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Recently I had a chance to try out an HK USP .40 (full size) and I now have it on my "gotta have" list. I used around 750 total rounds of cheap reloads and factory ammo, not a single FTE or FTF. A very fine pistol in my opinion.
http://www.hk-usa.com/civilian_products/usp_general.asp

Cheers,

Carl
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have a Glock 27 and a tactical Springfield XD in .40 S&W. The sub-combat Glock is downright painful to shoot with stout loads if it is cold out. Then again, maybe it is just age sneaking up on me! :oops: I do like the additional grip safety on the Springfield. Call me old-school! :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was a revolver hold out until recently (for SD). Lately it seems like you're going to be jumped by a group of YUGs...(young, urban Gents...), and I'm not sure five or six will do it any more...Just me, but, I can reload a mag quicker than a speed loader....I'm sure many can do the opposite....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Seriously... Charter Arms advertises a stainless-built DA/SA in .40S&W. I recall a favorable magazine review of it but have not fired one myself. About 20 oz as I remember.

Serious recommendations (from BTDT folks) cannot overlook the fact of a revolver leaving no cases at the scene. And being a revolver a defensive gun looks alot better in a courtroom than a black plastic movie gun... Opinion here based on experience.
Don't carry it unless you believe you will use it on another person; and a thinking person understands the fireworks begin after the shot.
Any other compact DA revolvers out there in such a caliber?
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mohavesam wrote:Seriously... Charter Arms advertises a stainless-built DA/SA in .40S&W. I recall a favorable magazine review of it but have not fired one myself. About 20 oz as I remember.

Serious recommendations (from BTDT folks) cannot overlook the fact of a revolver leaving no cases at the scene. And being a revolver a defensive gun looks alot better in a courtroom than a black plastic movie gun... Opinion here based on experience.
Don't carry it unless you believe you will use it on another person; and a thinking person understands the fireworks begin after the shot.
Any other compact DA revolvers out there in such a caliber?
I've been waiting for years for Charter Arms to bring out the .45acp revolver....I guess they just can't get that one off the ground for some reason....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Lawyers will attempt to crucify you in court no matter what you were using. You could spear the guy and they'd find a reason to go after you.

Polymer pistols are the piece of choice worldwide among law enforcement, as are hollowpoint rounds. Simply pointing out that if it's good enough for your local department, it's obviously good enough for you will cure that issue (and has, in various court cases).
1894c

Post by 1894c »

MrMurphy wrote:Lawyers will attempt to crucify you in court no matter what you were using. You could spear the guy and they'd find a reason to go after you.

Polymer pistols are the piece of choice worldwide among law enforcement, as are hollowpoint rounds. Simply pointing out that if it's good enough for your local department, it's obviously good enough for you will cure that issue (and has, in various court cases).
+1 ... i am in total agreement with you're assessment, wouldn't be worried in recommending the same type of auto and ammo that my local PD or Sheriff's office carries, actually i believe this makes more sense. i use to be a big revolver guy, until i became involved with my local LE Agency, sold all of the 5-shots, just carry Glocks...have my name on a list for a M&P Shield, again... :)

Ysabel Kid -- my favorite Glock is a 27, my recommendation is to practice more with it...practice helps tame the beast, well at least for me...and yeah you're OLD SCHOOL, just like ME... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

mohavesam wrote:Seriously... Charter Arms advertises a stainless-built DA/SA in .40S&W. I recall a favorable magazine review of it but have not fired one myself. About 20 oz as I remember.
Don't carry it unless you believe you will use it on another person; and a thinking person understands the fireworks begin after the shot. Any other compact DA revolvers out there in such a caliber?
not sure you're revolver recommendation for SD is actually a concern, at least not in the criminal proceedings i am personally aware of, but of course my experience is limited to the jurisdiction and region that i serve...but i do appreciate you're input and comments... :)
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Thanks 30WCF,
I've only been in one civilian shooting & subsequent courtroom circus, so I have to defer to others with more experience.
But for anyone whose courtroom advice is limited to magazine articles and TV productions, I assure you that all evidence can & will be used against you. And everything an LEO states can only be used against you. Like how many shell casings were spewn all over the hacienda. Better logic for me, to have the weapon used and later dangled in front of jury members, to be as "friendly" as possible. If that is possible...

The courtroom circus to which I allude is at best, a vehicle for you to spend $500 per lawyer hour, or double that, even with a good outcome. Minimize your evidence, minimize your offensive projection aspects. If you believe that you can do that with a uber-deadly foreign-made military-grade black hi-cap pistol, go for it! I'm betting (again from experience) there will be at least one jury member who recoils and blinks when the prosecutor points it at them! Yup, standard tactic.

Sorry for the thread drift!

The OP was looking for recommendations for a woman, where I believe a woman is much more in need of experience-based advice than armchair cowboys. No offense meant to any forum member.!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am on the side of the folks who say let her decide what fits her. PillHer likes her Springfield XD and SightHunter likes her Kahr. They both like the 9mm, but PillHer likes my G22 2nd gen in .40 for range time. I don't mind that they have their own preferences and want them to use something they are comfortable with and can shoot well. Fortunately, I live in Texas and it is not very common for a woman to go to trial here for using a firearm. Probably due to the trouble to find a jury that won't just acquit and tell the prosecutor to go jump off a cliff.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sorry for the thread drift!
:D It's the spice of life.... :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

BlaineG wrote::D :D And is asking the best way to go.....I have a 1911, a Glock, LCP, and a Springer XD-M.....all those could translate into a design for a .40.....I'd feel better for her to have a no muss, fuss DAO if she can remember not to shoot herself....
I'm so proud 8)
AND, she invited me to go shooting Monday.....is life good, or what?
I agree with the DAO. The Glocks with a NY1 trigger spring might be a good idea, but even better a used third generation S&W DAO would provide a longer trigger pull.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Blaine, have you checked out a Ruger P94 in 40SW. I have one and it has less recoil than my P95 in 9mm. Cabela's usually has them for $350 or so.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!