.310 round ball in 30-30 ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

.310 round ball in 30-30 ...

Post by 86er »

I need to fire-form some 30-30 to 35-30. Does anyone know a light load for the .310 round ball? How about a sufficient "blank" load that is safe and will fire-form the cases?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: .310 round ball in 30-30 ...

Post by Malamute »

I use 3 grs Unique with a .310" ball for small game. I dont know if it has enough power to fire form a case though.

Can you just expand the necks with your sizing die?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As thin as the neck on a .30-30 is, expanding with a die would result in a few split cases. Fireforming should give better results.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Joe, from the .38-55 thread:
earlmck wrote:If you need that 38/55 bad enough, I have made satisfactory ones out of 30/30 brass. Expanding the neck to size with a series of neck expanders always gives me uneven necks that have to be shortened more than I like, so I go ahead and shoot a blank load. I didn't write down my load but I think it was something like 14 grains of green dot held in by a little wad of paper towel. I use green dot 'cause I have a keg of the stuff but any fast powder will work.
Not sure if that's helpful, but...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I would suggest getting a 32WCF expander plug and going to 8mm first. Then do your fire-form to 35 cal. Before fire forming I would aneal the case neck first before the fire form.

When I had my Winchester 375 I made some cases from 30WCF. I lubed the case's inside and out and ran them thru the 375 die. I crushed a few case mouths and also split a few.
Had I anealed the case's my success would have been more successful, I am sure.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Just being ornery, but, why not just a .35 Rem? Isn't it 15% more powder capacity?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

http://www.6mmbr.com/260aiforming.html

This is a link to fire forming without bullets. There is a number of search results for this technique.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

While waiting for my order of Starline 38-55 brass to come in I fireformed a bunch of 30wcf brass, only lost a couple with split necks. I used some Unique, cream of wheat and a small piece of paper towel as a plug. Point the rifle up and shoot, worked good for me. I think I got this from Sixgun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

I have some unsized, unlubed 150 grain .309" bullets. They're cut on the base for gas-checks, but I haven't installed them. Want me to drop 'em by?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That'll work
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

One day at the range I was shooting some "Short Range" replication loads in the .30-30. 120 gr cast bullet over 6 grs of 4756. I handed one to my friend to try....... thinking he was shooting a .30-30 and he handed me back the empty which had expanded nicely to fit his .375 chamber........ duh!

So.....a gallery load should work nicely or a blank of 7-10 grs of a fast burning pistol powder with a 3/4" sq of toilet paper folded and pressed down on the powder should work as well (no bullet).

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I formed 375 Win brass from 30-30, using 5 gr. of Unique, and then filling the case with cream of wheat topped off with a wax plug. Worked great.
NRA Life Member
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

w30wcf wrote:a blank of 7-10 grs of a fast burning pistol powder with a 3/4" sq of toilet paper folded and pressed down on the powder
Joe, I've used this strategy occasionally for one thing or another. Use whatever fast powder you have handy (my stash is a keg of green dot at present, but most of the time I have used Unique). Start a little low (maybe try the 7 grains suggested) and if that doesn't get a good "fill-out" just try again with a little more powder. I think I started with 10 grains of the green dot and worked up a bit from that when I made some 38/55's out of 30/30's, but for some reason I didn't write down my load, though I almost always keep track of such things. I can tell you for sure that when making 6X47 cases out of 222mag cases, 16 grains of Unique didn't get a good fill-out but 18 grains did nicely. (That's the only one I could find written down).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

10 grains of Red Dot and a quarter sheet of toilet paper will do it. If you want to shoot the round balls they should produce about 2400 fps. As long as you are burning primers and powder you may as well have the fun of shooting at something.