Glenn Miller Pic....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Glenn Miller Pic....

Post by Blaine »

Glenn Miller in concert, Podington Station 109, England, 1944. Many audience members would soon soar into harm’s way over the European continent. The Army Air Force suffered 88, 119 fatalities (including KIA, MIA {including Miller}and accidents) during WW-II. God bless their valiant memory.

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Glenn Miller Pic....

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool picture. Thanks for posting it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Neat pic, brings back memories of my Grandfather. He was a huge fan and saw a least one show while stationed over there. I seem to recall that it may of been his last show before the crash too. Wish he was still around to ask him. RIP.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love his music, 8) He must have done a lot for raising peoples spirits during the dark days of war.
He certainly got Britain swinging! :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

I have Glenn and Tommy/Jimmy Dorsey, both on the computer to listen to as well as Artie Shaw and Harry James. I've put that great music on my Teac RTR for listening pleasure in the living room. From what I've read, they never found Glenn Miller's body.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ColColt wrote:I have Glenn and Tommy/Jimmy Dorsey, both on the computer to listen to as well as Artie Shaw and Harry James. I've put that great music on my Teac RTR for listening pleasure in the living room. From what I've read, they never found Glenn Miller's body.
You can stream tons of Oldies here.....my favorite InterNet www.apikai.com/kbrd/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

"Odies" is certainly correct.

Guy died almost 75 years ago.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

tom deinek wrote:"Odies" is certainly correct.

Guy died almost 75 years ago.
Yes, it was along time ago. But, how many of today's musical artists can you name that voluntarily gave up a well paying civilian career and entered the United States Army. Oh, and a good many of his band members went with him. What do you think the difference between the enlisted salary and the civilian salary was for these men? Today's musicians, singers and actors could take lessons from my parent's generation.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Every true American citizen should be like the most patriotic generations who lived in WWII times. Almost all generations since then have more no counts than strong Americans!!!
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

Excellent, BlaineG-thanks.

Dead for 75 years? No, I beg to differ. Music such as Glenn Miller, the Dorseys, Harry James and Artie Shaw will never die. I'd much rather listen to real music such as they produced than the sorry excuse they have for music today on TV and radio. Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Jim Reeves, and Patsy Cline have been gone for about 50 years but people are still buying their CDs and LPs besides posting videos of them on YouTube. How many are going to be buying Led Zepplin 50 years from now? Zilch.
ColColt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ColColt »

Speaking of old, I like old things. I still have my first camera.

...and the first car I ever drove, an old '49 Studebaker Champion with vacuum wipers and starter button under the clutch pedal. Cars had chrome and a helluva lot more class back then than the plastic wonders on the road today.

Music? How about an old Marantz receiver. It'll outlast and sound better than anything on the market today.

I had to show off my 1937 Zenith. Sound is superb with a large12" speaker.

...and, my 1930 Atwater Kent radio I restored.

Old is good...I can dig it.
Last edited by ColColt on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

great band...parents love to dance to them!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In a former life, I'm sure I played tuba for Louis Armstrong, or another early jazzer.....Aside from the discrimination, what a wonderful life that would have been 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

When I was a little kid in the 50s before Grams gave us a hand me down Magnavox TV with UHF converter box on top :lol:, I had heard Moonlight Serenade since the crib :lol: .... WWII was still fresh in my parents minds, I was told how Glenn Miller disappeared mysteriously during the war. I would play Serenade now and again but the record I wore out was the rockinest tune then, and still stands up well now... Big Noise from Winnetka which made me feel so good to hear I'd... well...just spaz out about every time I spun it up....
So I was very interested as an adult when info was presented on what probably really happened to GM, Here's some pretty convincing info on why the legend died http://www.examiner.com/article/friendl ... enn-miller
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

ColColt wrote:Excellent, BlaineG-thanks.

How many are going to be buying Led Zepplin 50 years from now? Zilch.

mmmmmmmmmmm ---- LEd Zeppelin may still have a market , the Doors, Fleetwood Mac, Jackson Brown, Sammy Hagar - a few others . plenty of timeless country acts in the 60's - 80's as well

---- OTOh - I have been waiting for some of the bands from my generation to fall off the radar for a while (motleycrue-poison-whitesnake- etc etc) and they seem to hang on like grim death
----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BlaineG wrote:In a former life, I'm sure I played tuba for Louis Armstrong, or another early jazzer.....Aside from the discrimination, what a wonderful life that would have been 8)
My mom's favorite song. Thanks for bringing that memory back Blaine
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad