I lied to the forum-look what it cost me

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

I lied to the forum-look what it cost me

Post by vancelw »

I had a couple of firearms in my safe that I hadn't fired in a while, some not at all :oops:

I posted some Colts on here for sale with the excuse that I was "thinning the herd". Well, best intentions of mice and men...
CMP 2013-07.jpg
On our recent family trip to Ohio/Indiana to visit the wife's family, I escaped one day to go browse at the CMP store in Camp Perry. I spent all my money :( :D :( :D :lol:
The H&R Garand (with all new wood) and the Kimber target 22 followed me home.
Now I have even more guns I haven't had time to fire yet. Must rectify this soon.

The Browning 1895 .30-'06 came from 2ndovc. We had a nice visit over pizza and beer.

Not sure when I'll get back up that way, so I wanted to go ahead and get a Garand. I'm no collector so I hope I got a good shooter. The bayonet came from the wife's grandpa and his Army Combat Engineer service in Guam, Philippines, and Okinawa in WW II. The wood is missing from the other side of the handle. I'd sure love to find or make a replacement grip.

I'll soon be asking for tips/information about reloading for the Garand and finding or making grip panels for the bayonet. Also, the wood seems to have only a light stain. What's the best way to finish it? Tung oil?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I lied to the forum-look what it cost me

Post by olyinaz »

Niiiice. 8)

Range report please! :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Don't worry if you don't use them...they are like money in the bank....That Garand is really nice :mrgreen: Heck, all of them are really nice 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You will love that M1. I have some very good loads for my CMP Garand, I'll send you that info if you want. With it's favorite loads it will shoot a full clip into 2 moa.
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd like to see more pictures of the bayonet, maybe even some details about granddad if you can.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

TedH wrote:You will love that M1. I have some very good loads for my CMP Garand, I'll send you that info if you want. With it's favorite loads it will shoot a full clip into 2 moa.
Yes, by all means please share. I've done a little reading online about reloading for the Garand..still trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.
I'm guessing 150 or 165 gr bullets and 4895 or 4064?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:I'd like to see more pictures of the bayonet, maybe even some details about granddad if you can.
Let me see if I can get some better pics in a bit.

As far as the wife's grandpa goes..he didn't share an awful lot. He would talk to me about it some when the women and kids weren't around. Said he still woke up with nightmares occasionally. He passed in Dec 2011.
He told me his normal job was to drive the big dozer. The ship would attempt to beach (LST?) and he would be the first one off with his equipment. Said he would try to push up as much big stuff as possible ASAP so the smaller equipment could get off the ramp and onto the beach without drowning out. I guess they eventually got turrets on their dozers because he said if a round came in the port, he would just draw his arms and legs in as small as possible and let the bullet spin around the turret until it finally ran out of energy.
Also said he was the camp cook sometimes. He said they ate anything they could find. I'm assuming that meant monkeys and sloths, too. He said it wasn't very palatable, but they got hungry. I'm going to contact his youngest grandson and see if he knows any more. I'd like to at least recall what unit he was in. I know he earned a Bronze Star, but don't know exactly what for.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Oh man! To go right up and pick it up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

vancelw wrote:
TedH wrote:You will love that M1. I have some very good loads for my CMP Garand, I'll send you that info if you want. With it's favorite loads it will shoot a full clip into 2 moa.
Yes, by all means please share. I've done a little reading online about reloading for the Garand..still trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Yup.. I use 150gr Sierra Matchkings and Gamekings over 47gr IMR 4895. CCI#34 primer to ignite it. Winchester brass since it's cheap. After 3 or 4 full -length re-sizings, toss it. The M1 abuses brass like none other.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote:
I'm still at work and don't have my load data, but I think the best load in my Garand is 46.0 gr. of IMR4895 with the Nosler 155 gr. Match bullet. They shoot as well as the Sierra MK bullets, and are a bit cheaper. I'll double check that data when I get home tonight.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:mrgreen: :D Sweet!

Congrats! :wink:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rusty wrote:I'd like to see more pictures of the bayonet, maybe even some details about granddad if you can.
M1 bayonet 2.jpg
M1 bayonet 1.jpg
It fits on the Garand just great :D

After looking at it better, I think I can craft a replacement with a little TLC. May make both sides and put the original up for safekeeping. I wish I knew the story of how it got broke.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Base Pin Maker
Levergunner

Post by Base Pin Maker »

Glad I could help! Kelye
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Base Pin Maker wrote:Glad I could help! Kelye
Same here!

I was totally drooling over that Kimber!
If the New Frontier hadn't cleaned me out I would have been up there the next day for one of those!!

Thanks again!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

vancelw wrote:Well, best intentions of mice and men...
AKA: No plan survives first contact... :lol:

Those Kimbers are sweet. I haven't got to fire one but I drooled over a couple at the range when the smallbore BR guys and I were there at the same time.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

awp101 wrote:
Those Kimbers are sweet. .
And a lot cheaper than an Anschutz at $1500.00. I hope to get some rounds through this one soon. I just happen to have a full brick of Aguila target ammo :D (and some Federal Gold match, and some Federal Target) It pays to be a hoarder. :D