Marlin 1895 Cowboys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mark Terry
Levergunner

Marlin 1895 Cowboys

Post by Mark Terry »

I've had a couple of questions lately that I haven't been able to get answered and I've been meaning to come to the source of levergun knowledge. This is the first one:

I've been enamored with the Marlin 1895 Cowboy rifles of late and have been on the lookout for one in .45-70. After more than a year of looking, I finally found a mint specimen and brought it home.

It's apparent that these are being made even though they are still listed on the Marlin website. When were these made and approximately how many were made?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1895 Cowboys

Post by BenT »

Not sure , but I would say it's been a catalog item for at least a decade.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's ONLY in 45-70.......a worthy rifle.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

You can get more info from the Marlin Owners forums, but what I have heard is that Marlin themselves made them in the 90's and early 2000's with a JM stamp. THen stopped production, and Remington has made some since under contract. There was a flurry of poo-pooing the "Remlin" quality, and some concern about receiver cracks, which has made for a perception difference that the JM Marlins were better and therefore should be more expensive. However, I am not aware of any more differences than that.

Wish I had known you wanted one, I have been trying to sell mine, which is a JM. They are very nice, and very accurate guns.

I like that you can easily scope and sling them for hunting, then restore them to peep sights for silouette shooting.

About how much did you pay for yours?

Lets see some pictures of yours!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THE MARLIN COWBOY 45/70 TO LOOK FOR IS A VERY EARLY ONE WITH THE TWO RECEIVER SIGHT HOLES, AND THE BADGER BARRELS THAT WERE ON THOSE FIRST GUNS. THEY SHOOT LIKE A DREAM WITH MY SMALLEST FIVE GROUP AT 100 YARDS BEING .55" C-TO-C.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Mark Terry
Levergunner

Post by Mark Terry »

FatJackDurham wrote:You can get more info from the Marlin Owners forums, but what I have heard is that Marlin themselves made them in the 90's and early 2000's with a JM stamp. THen stopped production, and Remington has made some since under contract. There was a flurry of poo-pooing the "Remlin" quality, and some concern about receiver cracks, which has made for a perception difference that the JM Marlins were better and therefore should be more expensive. However, I am not aware of any more differences than that.

Wish I had known you wanted one, I have been trying to sell mine, which is a JM. They are very nice, and very accurate guns.

I like that you can easily scope and sling them for hunting, then restore them to peep sights for silouette shooting.

About how much did you pay for yours?

Lets see some pictures of yours!
This one is marked JM and is in excellent shape. It has the Skinner Express sights.

The buttplate is not well fitted and looks as though it came from the factory this way. It will probably have to be remedied.

All in all, I'm very pleased and hope to have the opportunity to shoot it today.

As luck would have it, I did manage to fulfill another .45-70 dream this weekend:

Sometimes you just get lucky.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looks like a nice score on both! --- I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of MArlins, but it doesn't look like the wood on the Cowboy model is as clunky or chunky as they are on the guide gun -- very nice.

That #1 looks like its begging to be taken on safari --- darn classy rifles - both of them
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They've been out atleast twelve years as I bought the first one I had in 2001 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

One of the finest modern Marlin rifles ever produced, and a great score!
They also made the cowboy in .38-55, and the two I owned were incredibly accurate with .379 jacketed bullets.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

And that second one is what, a Ruger No. 1? Can you use those in silouette matches? It looks cool!