Randall Knives, are they worth the cost?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Randall Knives, are they worth the cost?

Post by 2ndovc »

I've always wanted one but the cost of $5-600.00 has kept me from buying one.

I love the Model 1, but the $595 price tag has always put me off.
I had a '40s vintage Morseth but sold it off when I found out what it was worth.

So the big question is? Is there that much difference between a Large, Case Bowie knife that's
less than $200 and the near six hundred dollar Randall?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Re: Randall Knives, are they worth the cost?

Post by 4t5 »

I SEE THEIR STACKED LEATHER VERSION IS SELLING FOR $365
http://www.randallknives.com/knives/mod ... knife/[url][/url]
Rumble.com/ hickock45
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

IMHO Randall's are nice, but probably not worth it. I plan on putting a Busse up for sale here that I think is every bit the knife of a Randall. I do have one Randall that I use for my fishing knife and fillet knife. Has served me for years.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:IMHO Randall's are nice, but probably not worth it. I plan on putting a Busse up for sale here that I think is every bit the knife of a Randall. I do have one Randall that I use for my fishing knife and fillet knife. Has served me for years.
Hey Mike,
I've never heard of Busse. What's it look like?

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:IMHO Randall's are nice, but probably not worth it. I plan on putting a Busse up for sale here that I think is every bit the knife of a Randall. I do have one Randall that I use for my fishing knife and fillet knife. Has served me for years.
Hey Mike,

jb 8)
They look real sharp.... :!:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote:
2ndovc wrote:
Hey Mike,

jb 8)
They look real sharp.... :!:
Dude!

OMG!!!

:D

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, the worth of a thing is a personal decision. The quality is there. Years ago, before I went overseas, I wanted a Randall (preferably) an Attack/Survival. But while I could have scraped up the funds, none were to be had. I ended up using/abusing an issue Pilots Survival Knife. It worked well, but didn't have the style of a Randall.

I now have several, and I use them regularly. Well, all except one. I finally broke down and bought a new Attack/Survival. Somehow I just don't want to use this one, yet.

As to the question, are they worth it? To me yes. By the way, if you want a Randall and don't want to be on the factory waiting list (and you desire a standard model as opposed to customizing one) I have a source that has a few in stock. Their prices are right in line with the factory.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Are they worth it? In my opinion yes. I own 5 Randall's but have carried a model 15 in Iraq, Afghanistan and a few other places for years now. It's been the one that has never failed or never worn out. Granted, there are other fine knives out there but I have broken more than a few of them to include over priced benchmades. You get what you pay for.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jason, here it is:

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No, they are not worth it for use but as an investment if you do not intend to use it they may be.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Old Savage wrote:No, they are not worth it for use but as an investment if you do not intend to use it they may be.
+1
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

How does one quantify "worth it"?

They are the finest knives made. Servicemen of all types have entrusted their lives to them for years. They've been to space and back and they just flat out WORK.

To me the question is not are they "worth it" any more than is a real Colt or Winchester is worth it, the real question is simply do I have the funds to acquire them? Most of us have proven that one can always get by with an Uberti or a Rossi...

Top is the custom Mod 14 Mr. Randall made for me in '83 while I was at Bragg. Below it is a Blackjack Knives clone of a Model 1. The Blackjack works just fine and they are reportedly made with good steel, but it's no Randall and that's all that needs to be said about that. My Rossi 92s cant hold a candle to a real Winchester 1892 either, so I guess you get what you pay for. It's usually worth it!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

The cost goes away, and the knife is yours.

For me, no, the job can be done with another knife. I like my K-bar hunting knives with leather wrapped handles, $25-35.00. BUT if I were really into knives, if it was my "thing", and my identity was wrapped up in it, it would not be too much. If it's important to you there's no reason to compromise.

Just don't lose it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a Randall #1 with the stacked leather handle. I carried mine to work in a duffle for just in case.
After a few years I got to thinking that if something caused me to loose it I'd be sick. I sold it and bought a $ 20 Ontario mavhette and never felt disadvantaged.

To each his own.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

My buddy Mark has an older one. Only knife I have ever seen skin 2 200lb+ plus wild hogs and not lose its edge.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Carried my Randall #5 for years in the Marines. It is in the safe now. Never had a better friend.

Don
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Not really sure what I want. I got to thinking the other day that I really don't have
a large fixed blade knife other than my WWII Ka-Bar's and those don't leave the house.

Main objective in to have a well made 7"-9" blade that will last as a camping, hunting, emergency
situation tool.

jb 8)

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned three different Randall knives, a 3" Model 10, a Model 1 & a Limited Edition Model 25 (which I liked the best), along with a passel of other knives, including the Randall clone Blackjack:

IMO, the Randall knives are head/shoulders above most of the rest of the pack, when it came to hand-made using knives for the regular guy - especially the earlier ones (Randalls can be dated via the handle spacer sixw/colors) that were made directly by Bo, and then by his son.

IIRC, they're now made on a semi-production basis - which IMHO detracts some from the karma.

FWIW, I've never had to pay more than $400 for a Randall, and have never sold one for less then $600.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

One of the neatest knives I've ever seen was a Kabar that had been fitted with a bone handle.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

they're worth the cost in that you can always get it back should decide to sell - and if you wait through the production queue, you'll make a tidy profit.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Wanted to own something that's supposed to be the best..Randalls are within reach...I've got a couple SS ones... love the quality... (posted pic in this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48775 ) Wife thinks they're beautiful....wants me to display them...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been tooling around the web and had forgotten about this knife from
Becker Knife and Tool. I bought this, an H&R 12b with an 18" BBL, and a Case Mariner for my Dad just before he left Lake Erie. He sailed just short of Venezuela.
He mounted the Becker next to the motor/throttle control to repel Boarder's and cut lines or rigging if called upon.

There's some pitting on the grip from the salt spray but the blade is perfect and still razor sharp.
the Sheath faded from OD to a nice tan with a bit of orange.

The Becker knives are being sold under the Ka-Bar brand now. I think I'll start there.

Thanks Guys!!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Personally I've never owned a Randall and never really wanted one . So for me personally they aren't worth the price !

However ....................................... ,

I have other things that many folks would say weren't worth the price even though I got them at fair market value or less .

If one enjoys having what a good many folks consider a collectable or might I even say "artfull" item then so be it .

Lord knows I've wasted/spent my fair share on side by side shotguns and split cane flyrods that I am sure the vast majority of humanity would truely think foolish !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I've never paid as much as $600 for a gun, no way in heck am I gonna think a knife is worth that. Pretty as they are......YMMV.

LK
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Too rich for my blood! Is there something it can do that a K-BAR or the old Buck survival knife couldn't do? I have an old Buck survival knife that is easy to sharpen, HOLDS it's edge, It's HEAVY to carry, but so far, I haven't been able to break it after 20+ years :wink:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:If you order a Randall Made knife it will be a long time before you get it. You can order off of E-bay and get it now but it will cost more.

AG Russell has them in stock right now. His also cost more.

Randall Made knives are made of O-1 tool steel. which will hold an edge for a long time.

Is a Randall Made worth it? I don't know. I find it hard to use a $500 knife.

If you like the Randall Made 1-7 fighter may I suggest to you the Black Jack 1-7 Fighter.

Black Jack is a well made knife and they are patterned after the same pattern as the Randall Made. Black Jack is made by Bark River Knives for Black Jack. Bark River knife company is a well known knife maker and top quality.

The Black Jacks are made of A-2 tool steel and hold an edge as well as a Randall Made.

The Black Jacks are also only in the $180 range.
http://blackjackknives.com/

The question is what are you going to use the knife for? Getting a #1-7 fighter to baton wood would not be a good idea and it is also not the greatest of skinning knife. It can do it but its not the best knife for it.

Figure out what you want the knife for and I will help you which knife to get.
As I posted, if anyone wants a source of readily available Randalls PM me. I know a knife shop that has a pretty good selection (including some used/collectables).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

One of the best knives I ever had was made out of a leaf spring from an old truck (so I was told). Had an edge that never seemed to dull, strong like you would not believe (drove it into a tree once and used it to climb and stand on) was blued like a nice rifle with a leather handle made from a old saddle. It was a copy of the Randall knife popular in certain VietNam veteran circles.....maybe a #1 copy?

Anyway it was grand knife.....I would not have traded it for a new Randall because I doubt there is anything a Randall could do that this one could do as well and of course this one had some sentimental value. It was passed down to me by a Nam vet I was friends with and I passed it on to a courageous young Marine headed into harms way in 2003. He didn't make it but the knife was not returned with his possessions so I hope it was retained in service and passed from one fighting man to another in performance of duty.

My point is that if you want a Randall, buy it, you won't lose money on it if you keep it up and don't abuse or neglect it. But if you want a tough knife there are a lot of great knife makers and great materials who will charge you less then a Randall for a knife every bit as good as a Randall. And that is not a knock on Randall knives. They charge what the market (& their well earned reputation) will bear like any good craftsmen.

Wm
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I've got three Beckers, they are great knives for the money.

I'm also thinking hard about ordering a Randall, probably a Model 18, as a retirement gift to myself. I've got about six years left so I'll wait and think on it for another year.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I bought my first Randall in 1963 and have not been without one or more since that time. When I bought my first one, you could count the custom knife makers in this country on the fingers of one hand. Since that time the numbers have increased to hundreds if not thousands.

Most knife makers today, use the stock removal method, but Randal still forges their blades.

Will a Randall do something another makers knife will not? I doubt it, but it still is not a Randall and that is enough for me to pay the extra cost.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:If your looking for a Becker I have a BK2 for sale. I am asking $60 for it on craigslist.
I have one, and they are worth every penny. Sharp, and indestructible.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A Ka-Bar USMC knife is pretty much the same as the U.S. M2 fighting knife, of which there were more than one manufacturer. When I was in the service Camillus made them and that's what was available for purchase at the PX. I still have mine and it was/is a very serviceable knife that I carried quite a lot and didn't hesitate to pound stakes or smash things with if needed. I sure as heck would not do that with my Randall 14! Which makes a good point about perfectly serviceable knives vs. heirloom knives.

I got a new Camillus recently as a side kick to my old stand by.

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Randall's are great knives but I have no need for a knife that costs as much as my gun. My next knife purchase will be a Bush Monkey. They are built like tanks and are a no frills knife that is made to use. Here is a link, check them out. http://www.bushmonkeyknives.com/Available-Knives.html
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

tman wrote:Too rich for my blood! Is there something it can do that a K-BAR or the old Buck survival knife couldn't do? I have an old Buck survival knife that is easy to sharpen, HOLDS it's edge, It's HEAVY to carry, but so far, I haven't been able to break it after 20+ years :wink:
I have a Buck General, which is also a Bowie pattern. I carried it briefly while on active duty and found that it just didn't hold an edge and I was never sure it was strong enough to abuse it. I have a Ray Johnson one that I paid the most for of all my knives, and it has stood up well to everything I have done to it. The weight of the 2 knives is what tells the story. The buck weighs less than half of what the Ray Johnson knife weighs. Good solid steel has some weight to it. There are ways to make a good blade lighter, such as fuller cuts (mistakenly called blood grooves) and other methods, but a strong and useful knife will always have some weight since there is not any way to break the laws of physics. The old K-Bar from Camillus was heavier than my Buck General, and I used to have one of them, but I traded it away for something I wanted. If you are going to use a knife for a hammer, pry bar, general camp tool, and have it still hold an edge, then you will have to pay a little more for the better steel. Kind of like a car, you can pay for the cheap cars that are OK, but you can spend more and choose carefully and get something that will do more and do it better. O1, O2, D2, or 52100 tool steel cost more, but they tend to hold an edge better than most other steels, but even hand forged 1086, or the spring steel used in leaf springs on vehicles, can make an excellent knife. Hand forging tends to create a denser steel due to the hammering and heating, and it usually holds a better edge. I don't need a $600 dollar knife, but if I were to have only one weapon or tool for survival, I would try to get the best knife I could get, and Randall Made would not be off the list.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've broken two Buck knives....American made ones from the 70s, and 80s.....One, I broke jamming it into a pelvis trying to break through it...snapped right off at the handle, and another I stupidly dropped on the time and about a half inch broke off....a SWAG would say it's a very brittle steel, no matter how hard it is, and, the were very difficult to sharpen....

If you've always wanted a Randel, you should treat yourself.....I didn't get a Shiloh because I wanted a 45-70 :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

[quote.....I didn't get a Shiloh because I wanted a 45-70 :oops:][/quote]

Exactly!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

piller wrote:
tman wrote:Too rich for my blood! Is there something it can do that a K-BAR or the old Buck survival knife couldn't do? I have an old Buck survival knife that is easy to sharpen, HOLDS it's edge, It's HEAVY to carry, but so far, I haven't been able to break it after 20+ years :wink:
I have a Buck General, which is also a Bowie pattern. I carried it briefly while on active duty and found that it just didn't hold an edge and I was never sure it was strong enough to abuse it. I have a Ray Johnson one that I paid the most for of all my knives, and it has stood up well to everything I have done to it. The weight of the 2 knives is what tells the story. The buck weighs less than half of what the Ray Johnson knife weighs. Good solid steel has some weight to it. There are ways to make a good blade lighter, such as fuller cuts (mistakenly called blood grooves) and other methods, but a strong and useful knife will always have some weight since there is not any way to break the laws of physics. The old K-Bar from Camillus was heavier than my Buck General, and I used to have one of them, but I traded it away for something I wanted. If you are going to use a knife for a hammer, pry bar, general camp tool, and have it still hold an edge, then you will have to pay a little more for the better steel. Kind of like a car, you can pay for the cheap cars that are OK, but you can spend more and choose carefully and get something that will do more and do it better. O1, O2, D2, or 52100 tool steel cost more, but they tend to hold an edge better than most other steels, but even hand forged 1086, or the spring steel used in leaf springs on vehicles, can make an excellent knife. Hand forging tends to create a denser steel due to the hammering and heating, and it usually holds a better edge. I don't need a $600 dollar knife, but if I were to have only one weapon or tool for survival, I would try to get the best knife I could get, and Randall Made would not be off the list.
The Buck General and Their survival bowie are 2 vastly different knives. Apples and oranges, i have both.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I consider Randalls (these days) like spending $3k on a 1911. If you've got the money, hey, it's your money. But better or similar performers can be had for far less and a shorter wait.

In the '40s and 50s Randall was one of the few custom makers out there, but these days, there are far more options. Randall honestly does not make a knife that I actually would use, even if they were cheaper.

My current hard-use knife is a Grayman Suenami, and I had a hand in modifying the design slightly. Runs about $200 and it has a lifetime guarantee if it breaks.

Striders and several other brands are more to my style and general liking (size, grip configuration, etc), with prices near Randalls but shorter wait times.

A friend now formerly in Special Operations had 2 Striders at one time. He now has one. Without being specific, early on in Iraq while exiting a situation in a hurry his inventory went down to one knife. As he put it "the guy I left it in needed it more than I did". Considering that was a $400 blade he was a bit ticked, but he survived it, so he wasn't complaining.

I'd use a Randall, but I don't ever see myself paying $600 for one. A friend had a Model 15? i think on his third tour of Iraq (90-91, 2003-2004 and 2007-2008) as his near-retirement gift to himself, knowing that was his last tour. Still has it, and he loves it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

MrMurphy wrote:I consider Randalls (these days) like spending $3k on a 1911. If you've got the money, hey, it's your money. But better or similar performers can be had for far less and a shorter wait.

In the '40s and 50s Randall was one of the few custom makers out there, but these days, there are far more options. Randall honestly does not make a knife that I actually would use, even if they were cheaper.

My current hard-use knife is a Grayman Suenami, and I had a hand in modifying the design slightly. Runs about $200 and it has a lifetime guarantee if it breaks.

Striders and several other brands are more to my style and general liking (size, grip configuration, etc), with prices near Randalls but shorter wait times.

A friend now formerly in Special Operations had 2 Striders at one time. He now has one. Without being specific, early on in Iraq while exiting a situation in a hurry his inventory went down to one knife. As he put it "the guy I left it in needed it more than I did". Considering that was a $400 blade he was a bit ticked, but he survived it, so he wasn't complaining.

I'd use a Randall, but I don't ever see myself paying $600 for one. A friend had a Model 15? i think on his third tour of Iraq (90-91, 2003-2004 and 2007-2008) as his near-retirement gift to himself, knowing that was his last tour. Still has it, and he loves it.

Murph,

I don't know ya, but you remind me of one of my buddies whom I argue with all the time --- (he had a long career in some ugly MOS's too) -- he sees absolutely no value in anything with the slightest bit of form, beauty or grace --- he actually turned me on to the Kershaw Blur series of knives , which I thank him for --- they are great somewhat low buck folders for everyday carry , but he looks at my stag handled 8" #1 Randall like its from another planet -- he just can't wrap his head around something that's not be-decked in para cord, cordura and kydex.
He also prefers Glocks, ugly pump shotguns, and black rifles he is familiar with in the same way

Not a Randall, but I took a nice little survival knife my dad had given me for my 14th birthday into battle 22 years ago ----- my issue knife was a mk-2, but I left it at home and took "my knife" ---and I strapped it upside down to my LBE like a good boy should -------- the knife was basically like a rabbits foot - it was there when I needed it , just to handle, or keep sharp, or whatever --- and I think that is the primary purpose for most big sheath knives in the military - not many get left behind stuck in somebody's chest plate ---- most are fondled during long nights on CQ and guard duty , kept well oiled and always ready, but rarely called upon ----------- now the combat folder is another story , knives like the Blur I mentioned, and numerous other knives with similar mission parameters, get used all the time ----- but the big fixed blade remains the talisman for the soldier

There is a romantic notion almost of being alone in the wilderness with nothing but your knife , a'la Rambo and a lot of other Frontiersman type tales and movies, but in reality, it would be far more efficient to carry a small axe, and a small to medium size knife, than one big glorious blade. As I was taught in a specialty school --- sometimes the calories you spend tilting at windmills (constructing elaborate shelters, elaborate schemes to get food, etc. ) are better spent moving forward, within reason

------ all that said, I am in neither for or against big camp knives -- I have a few of them ------- and if photobucket would resume working right I would post up some pics of my favorites, but I believe a nice knife can be a much more personal choice than a nice 1911 , and everybody deserves to have at least one
I love Randall's ------ but I will throw another name in the mix and if I could post pics, you would see why ------ Enedino De Leon --- Mr De Leon is a Korean War vet who has been making knives for some time, mostly in the military mold, (not like the Striders, more like the Randall #'s 1 and Attack models) ------ I just procured another De Leon and I believe it stands toe to toe with it in quality . The stag handle is beautiful, --- i'm not a collector i'm a user , but I like to use stag handled knives because they're cool (so ina roundabout way I guess that makes me a little bit of a collector) ------ De Leons handle work is Randall's rival and his blades look awesome

Check 'em out if your in the market ------ I spoke to De Leon himself at the Tulsa gunshow 14 years ago and he sold me. Now the only reason I look for Randalls is if there isn't anything similar in a De LEon for sale somewhere (most of his stuff commonly encountered is big knives and daggers, which I already have enough of though)

happy hunting n- and I dearly wish to post some pics of my latest De Leon soon --- its a 6" blade reminiscent of a Buck 119, except much thicker
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I can appreciate beauty and form. I'm a medieval historian/weapons guy, I've visited 20-30 castles when stationed in Europe and nearly every major museum.

Big blades and designs are definitely in my parameters, but for a combat knife....eh. I'm not spending $600 on a tool for that sort of thing, they're going to get used. The Suenami I use isn't 'pretty' but the blade feels alive in the hand and the grip shape is absolutely perfect. I have had three Suenamis, though I only own one. First one went to my bro who redeployed to Baghdad for a year less than four months after we got back from our own first deployment. All he said was "I want a good strong knife" and he knew I was a knife guy. I asked around, being a broke new E-4 and some contributions came in from guys who'd never served but wished they had. I handed him a pile of goodies and then the knife. His eyes lit up. He never knifed anyone with it, but he used it for everything else and it rode with him in a Humvee turret and dismounted for a year with much jealousy from everyone he knew. Had his name and branch engraved on the spine.

#2 went to my now ex-brother in law, USMC infantry, same reason, same reaction (his entire BATTALION repeatedly thought about stealing his knife, but it was similarly engraved since we all know the saying and he was one of three guys in the USMC with his last name, so he was safe), he was boarding ships underway as first kid out the hellhole on a CH-46 looking for pirates.

I've got nothing particularly against big knives or good ones, but i'm much more mission oriented and the gear must serve the mission not the other way around. For survival work, I'd have a 4-5" fixed blade, a folder and a tomahawk or small hatchet. Not one big knife. I've found out from experience those work much better than a 7+" blade for me.

Same reason you'll find me carrying an M&P with two spare mags and extended baseplates on the duty rig these days, not a 6" Model 29...
GaCop
Levergunner

Post by GaCop »

Never have owned a Randall but, in June 1966 I was slated to go to Vietnam. I tried getting a Randall before leaving but was told the waiting list then was a year. I ended up carrying a tried and true Marine K-Bar.

Tom
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

GaCop wrote:Never have owned a Randall but, in June 1966 I was slated to go to Vietnam. I tried getting a Randall before leaving but was told the waiting list then was a year. I ended up carrying a tried and true Marine K-Bar. Tom
The Randall shop has always been willing to work special with active duty servicemen in need. I walked into Cumberland Knife & Gun just off of Ft. Bragg, (Anyone remember that shop? What a great knife and gun shop it was.) and told them what I wanted in a Randall Made knife, that I needed it ASAP due to a deployment upcoming, and watched as he called Mr. Randall and talked to him for a few minutes. Two weeks later I had my custom order knife with a hand written note complimenting me on my choice of special order features and the comment that he felt that they'd only made maybe one other knife before with the same features. I wish I still had that note!! :?

I bumped into Al Mar in that shop one day, and those are some fine knives too.

Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nice? Yes. "Worth it" is utterly subjective & based on the depth of one's pockets.

My favorite "working" knife is the old Loveless Guardian. it is now unobtanium and mine will die with me.

My "acceptable" replacement (in terms of balance, usability and obtainability) is the "Good Cook" brand 4" full tank kitchen knife available at most grocers for less than $10.

I can buy a LOT of 4" fighting/kitchen knives for the cost of one Randall/Gerber Guardian.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I meant to post a pic of this one earlier but had photobucket issues ----- my 3 stag handled knives --- in the middle is the ubiquitous Randall #1, 8" --- the little dagger in back is a boot knife and I honestly forgot who made it , but the hunting bowie in the foreground is a new acquisition --- I had a De Leon fighting knife before I left the service, but somewhere in the confusing time period of my late 20's, - it disappeared. Anyhow, an 8" Randall looks impressive, but is not as user friendly as a smaller blade, so I found this with a half guard and so far have been able to use it for quite a few mundane tasks around the farm

a nice Deleon is a thing of beauty too -- prices are close to the Randall catalog prices, but you don't have to wait 4 years to get it (I sucked it up and paid a hefty "impatience tax" for that 8" #1 because I deemed it a must-have at the time :lol: )--- the only problem with those, is he makes a ton of military/fighting style knives and these are the most commonly found--- Mr Deleon is also getting older and doesn't have a big volume anymore --- so I likely will go with another Randall when I can afford one of their bird n trout knives

----- Doug
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

olyinaz wrote:
GaCop wrote:Never have owned a Randall but, in June 1966 I was slated to go to Vietnam. I tried getting a Randall before leaving but was told the waiting list then was a year. I ended up carrying a tried and true Marine K-Bar. Tom
The Randall shop has always been willing to work special with active duty servicemen in need. I walked into Cumberland Knife & Gun just off of Ft. Bragg, (Anyone remember that shop? What a great knife and gun shop it was.) and told them what I wanted in a Randall Made knife, that I needed it ASAP due to a deployment upcoming, and watched as he called Mr. Randall and talked to him for a few minutes. Two weeks later I had my custom order knife with a hand written note complimenting me on my choice of special order features and the comment that he felt that they'd only made maybe one other knife before with the same features. I wish I still had that note!! :?

I bumped into Al Mar in that shop one day, and those are some fine knives too.

That sort of thing is still alive today. Before my boys deployed the first time I wanted to get them a descent knife. The issue K-Bars were pretty beat up. I cast about and found the Mission Knives made some out of titanium. Now Marines have enough to carry as it is, and if I could lighten the load, even if only a bit, it seemed like a good idea.

I spoke to the fellow that runs Mission Knives and he made sure I had them in time for their deployment. They carried them thru each of their three trips to the sandbox. And while never used as a "combat" knife, they made great cutting and prying tools for the day to day uses that arise.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"