OT - Tell Me About Rat Terriers, Please

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

OT - Tell Me About Rat Terriers, Please

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I'm getting the idea that I could maybe run a rabbit or find a grouse with a miniature Ratty......I need something small so it can ride on the scoot with me......
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
phlatnose
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phlatnose »

Take a look at a Jack Russel. Do a web search on them. They are fast, intelligent, and just about the toughest dog there is.
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

I love rat terriers. Best little dog out there. There is a lot of heart in that little body.

I have owned 4 in my life and they enriched it greatly.

The first was Spot. He came along when I was in Kintergarten and died when I was in High School. My constant hunting companion and he would not back down from anything. I miss him.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

TTT, I don't know anything about the breed, but if it's gonna ride the scoot get something that covers it's ears. If you don't you're gonna have a deaf dog real quick from wind noise.
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

My grandfather/grandmother were never without a Rat Terrier. They all had the hearts of a much bigger dog. I remember one that weighed about 7-8 pounds that would routinely kill large possums and coons around their farm. Good little dogs.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Terriers

Post by model55 »

Good smart dogs just do not come with reverse-they are the alpha dog no matter what.Lost mine two years ago and plan on getting another when I retire!
Levergunner 2.0

I like terrors, er, terriers anyway......I've never heard anything bad about a ratty.....I had a Cairn mix for 17 years and up until the end, Old Oreo would rather die than lose or back down from anything......
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

This is our Rex. We lost him to cancer about 3 years ago when he was 5 years old. Strictly an outside dog, he defended the homestead with every fiber of his being; be it raccoons, squirrels, deer, UPS guys or whatever. He even chased off a bear once. He was named "Rex" which was short for Tyrannosaurus Rex (because that's what he thought he was - he didn't know he was only one & a half feet tall!). His successor, Toro, is also a Rat Terrier (a cousin by the same local breeder) and is following nicely in Rex's footsteps. I highly recommend the breed...
Tom

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd go with "the rat". My in-laws have a Jack Russell, and they can be a bit high-strung and hard to train. Not saying they are all that way... dogs are like people, with their own individual personalities. :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Blaine,

All the terriers seem to be great breeds. I'm one of those people that prefers getting a bitch and having her spayed. Generally, her temperment will work better with mine than a male. Sort of the opposite of the human world... :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Rat Terriers are great little dogs. We had several while I was growing up. They are great little rabbit and squirrel dogs.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The toy-sized rat terrorists were crossed with Chihuahuas to get their size down, so keep that in mind. Normal Rat Terriers are small enough.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Levergunner 2.0

My little Terror was my Daughter's Terrier/Princess/DressUpDoll for quite a lone time :shock: When He became mine after Daughter left, we had to have a series of serious talks before He decided to be MY little Terror, but never really got him really trained very well. I really want to get a mini-rat (not toy). I envision a strong willed, fixed male, that will recognize me as Alpha Dude and be fearless and well behaved.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

My first dog was a rat mix we got from the pound. Smartest dog I have ever had and real fearless. He lived to be almost 20.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

My partner at work got one a few years ago and it's now his best friend. Before that, it was German Shepards, which are still favorites - but I see the rat terrier is his bud.

It'd be fun to see how the ratty and our Lhasa get along; both think they are the Boss......
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

phlatnose wrote:Take a look at a Jack Russel. Do a web search on them. They are fast, intelligent, and just about the toughest dog there is.
+1 for the JRT. Jack Russells are wonderful companions and know no equal as a critter hunting, woods walking partner. They are tough as nails, and always merry and playful. I have owned JRTs for many years now, and can not imagine being without one. Currently I have Little Joe and Jackie. Mindy passed on two years ago. She's under the big Juniper - still keeping an eye on me, I suppose.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva