Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading 45 LC - Today's Costs VS Commercial Ammo

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Steve, you sure got it down to a science. And loading is fun!! :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I don't think I've ever bought a commercial box of .45 Colt. Back 20 years ago when I got my first one they were too expensive(IMO).

You've got me thinking though, there's several cartridges that I've never bought a box of commercial ammo ( surplus not included).

.30-06, .222Rem, .33&.35 Winchester ( but that's a given), 6.5x55, 45-70, .32-20, .25-20, 38-55, and a couple more that I can't think of.
I was going to add .455 Eley but I did buy a couple boxes for the brass. Commercial loads are really light.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

45 Colt! I LOVE IT! Ya done good Steve. I load bullets from 160 grain pills to 250s. I probably load 200 grain lead mostly. I cast from 160 to 250 grains, but mostly the 225grain truncated cone. I don't hot rod my .45s, as most of my shooting them is done in CAS. In fact, 9 grains of Unique with a 250 would seem to be hot-roddin' for me. Even tho', this was the exact load I shot my very first match with! Back then, I didn't consider that load very HOT! Now, it seems the upper limit!

I've been casting and reloading so long, I very seldom ever run a cost analysis on it anymore. I probably cast about 1/3 to 1/2 off all the cast bullets I load, and that further reduces the cost. Not by much... but enough to make with casting worthwhile. Especially, when a few of the molds I use aren't available commercially!

Welcome to the Wide Wonderful World of 45Colt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

You really didn't need to post this, my wifes gonna be upset to find out I'm thinking of getting back into reloading after reading this. :roll:
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:It also doesn't hurt that the savings I've realized from handloading over buying commercial ammo have more than covered the total cost of my high end Dillon Xl650 press setup, plus the entire cost of every firearm I've ever owned, plus the cost of all the components I've bought, plus the cost of the truck and all it's fuel, routine maintenance, and repairs I take out shooting, some $28,400.00 in all.
I explain that to everyone who starts shooting or gun-owning; once they 'get it' they start reloading and within a month or so have saved enough that their last firearm purchase is therefore 'free'... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I started loading .45 Colt ammo in 1960 for my Colt SAA 5 1/2 inch. The man at the gunshop told me Unique and a 255 grain bullet was all I needed to load. I reckon he was right. I use them in my Rossi carbine too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, reloading pays off, especially considering the lack of reasonably-priced loaded ammunition now.

You didn't even touch on the sheer fun of reloading. Add that to the mix, and it is darn near impossible to beat! :D
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I couldn't shoot if I didn't reload. I got caught a little short on primers and a couple of powders in this current shortage, but I'm working on that. I rarely buy anything commercial. I will buy a cheap box of 30-30 every once in a while, and I don't reload 7.62x39. My revolvers (except the .22) have never seen a commercial round, and rarely even a commercial bullet as I cast 95% of what I shoot through those. I've never bought ammo for my 7mm-08, 45-70, .223, .45 acp, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .357. I do occasionally buy a box here and there for my .243 also, as I can find it pretty cheap at Wally World, and I can reload the brass.

I'm glad you sit down and go through the cost savings so it reinforces my reloading :wink: I have never broken it down like that. I just know it saves me a bit of money and I enjoy doing it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not only the cost savings, but with reloading you can usually make it more accurate than factory loads. Some firearms like fast and some slow. Finding out what a particular gun likes can make for a lot of fun. To me it is solving a mystery with the final result being the best possible groups that I and the gun are capable of.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Steve, Please keep us posted with your load development. I have the same gun. And yes, I love to reload and cast. It is the only way I could afford to enjoy shooting. Since my retirement, I can't even imagine buying guns in this price range anymore.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Excellent break down Steve.

I add casting to the mix. It allows me to add a huge range of loads to what I can shoot, fine tune for the best accuracy and the cost savings are very like yours with reloading.

Many of my components were bought twenty years ago so comparing to todays prices is, well, rude. :) I loaded up a batch of 365 grain mild loads for my 45-70 Marlin and they cost about 2.75 cents each.

But you know, in another twenty years or so I would imagine that the shooters then will be looking back at todays prices the same way I do now.

Cat
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Catshooter wrote:Excellent break down Steve.

I add casting to the mix. It allows me to add a huge range of loads to what I can shoot, fine tune for the best accuracy and the cost savings are very like yours with reloading.

Many of my components were bought twenty years ago so comparing to todays prices is, well, rude. :) I loaded up a batch of 365 grain mild loads for my 45-70 Marlin and they cost about 2.75 cents each.

But you know, in another twenty years or so I would imagine that the shooters then will be looking back at todays prices the same way I do now.

Cat
You know I made a post on non gun forum, and told them most of my ammo cost's less than 3 cents a pop, and I suddenly became the bad guy.

Most couldn't fathom free WW's, surplus powder at $6-$7 a pound , $11 and $12 a thousand primers, free range brass or what to do with it.

So I think your ( rude:) ) is spot on. :!:

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Yes, and a lot of my primers are from before the panic in '92. Seven fifty a thousand. Oh well some just don't want to be convinced.

Cat
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

The secret is also to think about the future.

In twenty years time, I think that people will look back at $35/thousand for primers as cheap.

The future is coming, and it will probably cost more, don't ya think?

Steve, why don't you cast? It's obvious you have the skills, no space?

Cat
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Ah. I figured there'd be some logic behind it. Sounds like it works for you, so there you go.

Cat
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Some years ago at my range I found a box that was full of Starline 45 Colt cases. On the box was a note that these cases had been loaded 20 times and were left there as scrap only, not to load them. Of course I naturally took them home and loaded them up with my normal load of Unique and a 250 cast and have shot them at least 3 more times. I think I might be up to two cases that have split so far. I think you will get many more then 15 loadings out of those cases.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

No more than 3 boxes of commercial stuff through my .45C--rest has been cast Lee 255grain bullets of about 4 bricks of primers over 5 years. I even use all cast in .444 and mostly cast in .308.