OT - New Sixgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

OT - New Sixgun

Post by Scott64A »

Hey guys, it's been a while, and I hope this finds you all doing well.

I picked up a Ruger Blackhawk in .357mag at a local pawnshop for $300.00; it's clean as a whistle and I can't wait to shoot it!

I had a question about the age of it, and the pawn shop owner didn't know.
The l first two and last three digits of the serial number is: 32-xx621.

Also, the cyclinder is marked with an S on one side, and it looks like someone used an engraver to put 621S on the other side. The seller said it would shoot both .357mag and .38 specials, and I'm wondering if the cylinder will accomodate both rounds. (The "S" on the cylinder got me thinking about it,)

So I'm glad I got this gun, it's exactly what I was looking for in terms of protection and possibly hunting. It will certainly keep the bobcats and coyotes in check!

Any input?
Thanks,
Scott
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looks like 74 or 75 depending on the full serial #
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... ry-RE.html#
If it's marked .357 good chance it will shoot it and .38Spl.:D
Congrate's on the new revolver.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

had a question about the age of it, and the pawn shop owner didn't know.
The l first two and last three digits of the serial number is: 32-xx621.
Scott, if you had listed the serial number as 32-123XX I could have dated it closer for you. As it is, you have a new model Blackhawk made somewhere between 1973 to 1975.
1973 ... 32-00001 to 32-33638
1974 ... 32-33639 to 32-66488
1975 ... 32-66489 to 33-03853
This info courtesy of RENE

Also, the cyclinder is marked with an S on one side, and it looks like someone used an engraver to put 621S on the other side.
The "S" is a proof mark. Generally when the last three digits are engraved on the cylinder it means the gun left the factory as a convertible. In your guns case it would have been a 9mm cylinder. The only way to determine this positively is to call Ruger and ask for the record dept at 1-603-863-3300.

The seller said it would shoot both .357mag and .38 specials, and I'm wondering if the cylinder will accomodate both rounds. (The "S" on the cylinder got me thinking about it,)
Yes, ANY gun chambered for the .357 Magnum round will chamber and fire the 38 Special. The .357 Mag is nothing more than the 38 Spcl stretched .010" longer.

Joe
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Thanks! You guys are super-helpful.
I went to the Ruger site listed by salvo, and found the manual and parts list.
Also, I figured out that it is from 1975 by the serial number chart listed above.
I also found out that the cylinder numbers are supposed to match the last three of the gun's numbers for indexing and fit to barrel. So it's a good thing that they match. :)

So thanks again.

Um, isn't it odd that the .357 and .38 are the same daimeter? Wouldn't they be bigger in .38? I guess not. I wonder how they'll both shoot?
Can't wait to try it.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Scott64A, like J Miller said .357Mag is just a a stretched .38 Spl case. Both are loaded with .357 Diameter bullets.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Back in the Black powder days there was cartridges such as the 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt.
If I remember correctly, the 38 Short Colt actually used a 38 caliber heal based bullet, (think .22RF style). Then with the 38 Long Colt it became an inside lubed bullet, like the current 38 Special. But was still called a 38. Later that was stretched a bit more by Smith and Wesson and it was called the 38 Smith&Wesson Special.
But it had a .357 +/- diameter bullet.
Then in the 1930s the .357 Magnum was introduced. I suspect they called it that to differentiate it from the shorter weaker 38 Special.

I'm hoping I got the names right, it's been a loooooooong time since I've looked at the old 38s. But that's pretty much the evolution of the round.
The 44 calibers share a similar evolution.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

That's right. I always thought it was funny that Colt's .38 won out going to long and then the Special and then the Magnum but it was due to military service that it beat out the .38 S&W for ascendency. HOWEVER, the .32 S&W won for the .32 caliber becoming the .32 S&W Long or Colt New Police and then the .32 H&R after taking a stretch while the .32 Colt is mostly a has been.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Good info there...

Does anyone remember the pistol troubleshooting "clock" diagram which tells what you're doing wrong based on shot placement?

I haven't done a bunch of pistol shooting, and I remember my dad had one of these diagrams...
It showed the bull's eye, and based on where the shot went, it told you whether your grip was too tight, or if you pulled the shot or whatever.

I looked but couldn't find it.
and man, I can hardly wait to shoot this thing!!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Here is the link to the one I have:
http://shootingsafely.com/correction.jpg

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

J Miller wrote:Scott,

Here is the link to the one I have:
http://shootingsafely.com/correction.jpg

Joe
Joe, they forgot to label the target center...."accident" :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

C.Cash,

You are right. I've never shot at one of these diagnostic targets. I printed one and carry it with me to the range.
But if I get one in the bullseye, it sure is an accident.

Joe
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Ho HO!

I am sorry I hadn't posted a pic of this gun yet, I work a 24 hour shift on an ambulance and couldn't get home to take the pic, host it, etc. until now.

But here it is:

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looking good Scott! :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It was worth the wait. NICE!!! :D
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I agree, it WAS worth the wait...
I put $40.00 down to get it off the shelf three weeks ago, and I'm gad to have it. I could have gotten an automatic or something, but these single actions are just too good for the money.

People overlook them all the time, and it's a shame, because they shoot better than most all semis and last a long time. Revolvers are OK with me.
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Very nice indeed, hard to beat those Rugers, my 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk 44mag in stainless is my favorite woods gun. Wish I could find a old model in .357.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

OK, I went down to the indoor range this afternoon and shot 94 rounds through this gun. The first box was some brazilian manufacturer, and had a 158gr SJSP and cost $17.99. The second box were reloads sold at the range, 125gr JHP at $10.99 for a box of 50.

Wouldn't you know it? The second box shot better than the heavier round, and after I got used to the feel of this gun, I had a six-shot group inside of 3" at 25 ft.

Trouble is, I'm pushing the shots, they are hitting slightly high and left.

Most groups I shot went left. I guess this is pushing, or anticipating recoil, and the funny thing is, there isn't much due to the weight of the BH.

A fine gun though, and since everyone was shooting automatics, they all came by to see the old revolver and try to guess the caliber. Most would come up and say, "Oh, is that in .45 long Colt?"
Maybe it's because a lot of old six-shooters are in the .45LC

They all liked it anyway, as I do.