RCBS and Lee Die Setups

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

RCBS and Lee Die Setups

Post by JohndeFresno »

I guess age is catching up with me a little bit. But my excuse is that I use setups with a turret press and a progressive press that don't change all that frequently, once I have the loads that I like.

At least, that's my excuse. Here's the problem - sometimes I find myself rechecking the RCBS and Lee literature to make sure that I am setting up the dies properly - what with 1/4 turns, 1/2 turns, full turns, setting a die on the shellplate vs. the case mouth. And the literature is smallish and awfully wordy.

I get a bit impatient trying to re-read all of that stuff from the folded paper that came with the reloading dies; I just want to get on with the program and start cranking out my munitions!

So if you are in the same boat, here is a little spreadsheet, minus all of the lengthy explanations, to cover the highlights of the setups. Of course, this can act as a template for similar spreadsheets on other brands of dies if it works for y'all.

Word of caution to new handloaders: Read ALL of the literature, first. There is talk about proper case trimming, over crimping, and so on. The attached sheet is just a simplified blueprint of the setups, for what it is worth.

Lee and RCBS Die Setups

Last edited by JohndeFresno on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: RCBS and Lee Die Setups

Post by AJMD429 »

Now THAT is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

I like the Lee Turret press that has the removable inserts so your dies just stay in them and you don't have to adjust them each time you use them (unless you change bullet significantly).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Wow, great info. I will be saving that. Thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

That's great but where's the info on Herter's dies? I know, I'm just too old. Actually I use mostly RCBS or Dillon dies in my progressive press. Seldom have to touch them after initial set-up since they are in the Dillon holder that you just change out. I do use a couple of Herter's single stage presses for everything except the 10 or so calibers I run on the Dillon. The big drawback is they use a different shell holder but Bufallo Arms makes an adapter that allows the use of RCBS style shell holders in the Herters press. Massively strong presses and I think I gave all of $5.00 for the most expensive one. They were only 12 something when new!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Glad y'all could use it.

Nope, I have no experience with the Big Blue or Herters!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

That's handy John, thank you.

Cat
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Hmm. I just make up a dummy round with the bullet I want in it. set to the proper length. When I want to load for that bullet, I put the dummy round in the press, back out the die adjustment, and screw it back in until it touches the bullet. Then it's set for that bullet. The new ones come out the same length.

I used to try and do it with drawings but it drove me crazy and was usually not repeatable.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I have several Lee Turrets with Lee dies. They stay set, but I still disassemble them regularly to clean and oil them to keep rust away since my man cave is an 8 x 10 shed out back.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

El Chivo wrote:Hmm. I just make up a dummy round with the bullet I want in it. set to the proper length. When I want to load for that bullet, I put the dummy round in the press...
That's a good tip for saving time with the seater die if you don't have to move it. You still have to go through the setup for the other dies.

I reload 16 calibers (rifles, revolvers, pistols). My Turret Press setups with their Lee Auto Disk Powder Dispensers with the Adjustable Charge Bars, will not accommodate larger capacity rifle powder requirements. So that brings me back to resetting the dies.

When I remove the dies, whether with the Lee screw down ring or the RCBS hex tightened ring, I find that it is better to readjust them with each caliber change, to be sure that the fit is right. We are talking about gunpowder under pressure, here!

Speaking of which, when I changed over to loading a pistol caliber, I realized that the Lee Crimper die for pistols - the one with the knob on it - was not included in the above chart.

See the revised chart, above (edited first entry of this thread) - the other Lee crimping die has been added.