Short-lever single-shot in 300 AAC Blackout

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Short-lever single-shot in 300 AAC Blackout

Post by AJMD429 »

With the short receiver of the Encore, this street-legal 16-1/2" barrel looks like it's a shoulder-stocked pistol, but with the Mystic suppressor I hope to pick up soon, it should be a fun and quiet plinker, and still relatively compact.

I did manage to snag an AR-15 upper in the same chambering just after the Sandy Hook thing, since I'd always wanted one and figured I shouldn't dally.

Range Report will be forthcoming when all is received and paperwork completed. I plan on using the Mystic as my 22 LR suppressor since it is one you can actually take apart and clean (so it would work for .357" and under cartridges using cast-bullets, as well... 8) ).

The 30 caliber guns typically are threaded 5/8"x24 TPI, and the 223 ones and 22 LR ones 1/2"x28 TPI, but you can get adapters for both those for the Mystic. 9mm is a whole other story, as Colt's "standard" is 1/2"x36 TPI, so the thread-grooves are shallower than the 1/2"x28 TPI and the larger bore still leaves sufficient metal before you get to threads, but I guess most pistol-makers just use 1/2"x 28 TPI.

Right now, I don't have any 9mm's I'm all that interested in suppressing, because I usually use suppressed firearms for training "newbies" and thus they are on rifles, which GREATLY reduces flinching and facilitates range communication.

There is a Calico that just begs for threading though, so I have to decide on threads and pitch and all that. I'd kind of like to sleeve the barrel so it is thicker and use 5/8" threads so there is more strength. No money for said project right now, though...

The "Mystic" (photo from LibertyCans website):
http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Short-lever single-shot in 300 AAC Blackout

Post by AJMD429 »

Update - picked the can up today... 8)

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Great looking buttstock!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

20cows wrote:Great looking buttstock!
I said that to my wife once and my cheek hurt for a week... :D

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I'm very interested to see what the BLK does. My buddies starts opening up bad after about 100yrds, and everything I'm reading that's typical, something to do with freebore I believe.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

sore shoulder wrote:I'm very interested to see what the BLK does. My buddies starts opening up bad after about 100yrds.
I think also that some folks are selling 300 Blk barrels that have 'regular' 308 Winchester twist rates instead of the faster twists you need for subsonic or long bullets, and are doubly important if you use long bullets in a subsonic range, which is the niche of the 300 Blk.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The Noveske is a 1/7, I think most of the Blk's I've seen we're 1/7 or 1/8. I'm wondering if that is too fast for the lighter supersonic rounds in the 110-147gr range. 1/10 is usually reserved for the 180gr plus range in .308 caliber, so the 1/7 is putting a pretty good spin on a 110gr bullet.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Those short barreled T/C's look good. Tho you have the cheek piece and thumbhole grip on the wrong side. Read some articles on LASC.com that a 1-10 twist was good for subsonic loads with 200-220gr bullets. Are you planning to put the evil black stocks on it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:o :shock: It's got a thumbhole...must be super deadly :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

From what I gather, one should not expect high levels of accuracy from subsonics in the 300 Blk round; apparently Savage decided NOT to build a model 10 in 300 Blk after trying various twists and so on. They commented that the supersonic loads are accurate, however, which so far is what I have found. Factory loads were MOA or less in the 125 grain supersonic loading and twice that size in the 220 grain loading. I assume some of it is my lack of precision shooting skills, too. My Encore is 1:8 and the AR upper is 1:7,

Anyway, this is a maybe-put-night-vision-on-it gun for coyotes or barnyard pests, so I'm not going to take it out for prairie dogs.

However it would be interesting to see if other 'subsonic' cartridges and their supersonic counterparts have similar issues (aside from the 'ideal twist' dilemma). I would think that if a bullet is similarly long-for-caliber and of the same proportions, whether it is .308" or .338" or .458" or whatever would not matter much.

There is actually a '300 Blackout' forum kind of like Leverguns... http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 36&t=80420

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:From what I gather, one should not expect high levels of accuracy from subsonics in the 300 Blk round; apparently Savage decided NOT to build a model 10 in 300 Blk after trying various twists and so on. They commented that the supersonic loads are accurate, however, which so far is what I have found. Factory loads were MOA or less in the 125 grain supersonic loading and twice that size in the 220 grain loading. I assume some of it is my lack of precision shooting skills, too. My Encore is 1:8 and the AR upper is 1:7,

Anyway, this is a maybe-put-night-vision-on-it gun for coyotes or barnyard pests, so I'm not going to take it out for prairie dogs.

However it would be interesting to see if other 'subsonic' cartridges and their supersonic counterparts have similar issues (aside from the 'ideal twist' dilemma). I would think that if a bullet is similarly long-for-caliber and of the same proportions, whether it is .308" or .338" or .458" or whatever would not matter much.

There is actually a '300 Blackout' forum kind of like Leverguns... http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 36&t=80420
I've done no less then FOUR 308 rifles in subsonice with the suppressor and they all shot 200-220 grainers well out to 100 yards . By well I mean 3 in an inch or less . Sorry to say I tried it no further .

While the 300 BK seems like it would be fun to try I still think ones better off with a 308 and throttling it back . Then if they get tired of it at subsonice they can always take it back to a more normal velocity .

Incidently Remington has brought the 700 TAC out in 223 , 308 and 300 BK with 16" threded barrels .
I have kept from buying a suppressor , but I kinda like the looks of that 700 short barreled 308 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

AJMD429 wrote:Anyway, this is a maybe-put-night-vision-on-it gun for coyotes or barnyard pests, so I'm not going to take it out for prairie dogs.
This will be the likely final configuration (link >) (DigiSight N-550):

I know that it "looks silly" (but whatever I'm shooting at with it won't notice), and that "there are lots better night-vision scopes out there" (give me $3,500 and I'll replace this one), but I'm enjoying fiddling around trying to find what works best for me that is reasonably-quiet, reasonably-powerful, and reasonably-accurate and capable of shooting out 100-200 yards with at night. My 'Night Scout' leverguns work pretty well out to 100 yards, and have the added benefit that the sights on them are compact and just as perfect for daytime-use as nighttime-use, and the only real 'night' accessory on them is a quick-detach flashlight, but those setups don't give me a good sight picture out past 100 yards (not that I'll likely shoot that far at night, but you know how the 'hobby-vs.-obsession' thing is). Besides, funny-looking or not - it DOES have a "lever"... :D

At least I could hunt rats in the barn if I need to - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GgHTq0M ... detailpage
Or Rabbits - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AackTuLvaK4
Or Hogs - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YyGw-WNxcs

This is an interesting 'helpful hints' video on the scope - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_rTyKJh ... detailpage
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I've refrained from buying any of the alternate AR calibers, but I've studied them all quite a bit.

I have been really close to building a 7.62x39 but problems with shearing lockig lugs and magazine issues left me hesitant. If those issues could be overcome reliably I would still prefer it over the 300blk.

What I really really like is the fact the 300 uses all standard AR parts except the barrel. If it gets adopted by the cops I'll be even more interested ( I would be shocked if it got any serious attention from the military).

If it turns out it can be accurate beyond 200 meters with supersonic bullets I'll be even more impressed.

It has certainly caught fire quickly and with more intensity than the 6.8. We'll see if it has better staying power.

Looking forward very much to your range reports AJ.
11B30
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, that is beyond cool! 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For anyone else with a 300 Blk - here's a bunch of load data - http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 41&t=81567

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot