Sawblade knives - who makes 'em?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Sawblade knives - who makes 'em?

Post by JohndeFresno »

I seem to recall that, on this forum, somebody makes knives from old sawmill blades; a good quality steel source.

Does anybody remember who that was? I can find it using the "Search" function.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sawblade knives - who makes 'em?

Post by BigSky56 »

Maybe you are thinking about Anza knives they are made from files and USA made. danny http://www.anzaknives.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Benchmade made some from bandsaw steel.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I used to see those knifes you talk about advertised on a couple places.
If I recall, Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas both used to offer them. They were limited run from a small shop. He may be long out of the knife making business. :?:
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

My youngest son, Matt, has made a bunch of those from bandsaw blades he got from Southwest Forest Industries which used to be located here in Flagstaff. They can be ground very sharp and hold an edge well. He also makes recurve bows and other similar stuff like powder horns, etc. Professionally he works on prosthetics so he is handy with making things by hand---is that a pun??
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

kind of.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I want a tee handle ulu knife made from a saw blade.Image
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I recall, this was a regular contributor here, within the last 4 years. He made his own knives after discovering that he could obtain old saw blades from a nearby lumber mill. His comment was that this was excellent steel, and he started doing it as a side business, then a full-time business.

I don't think it was any of the above sources, unless it was your son, Batman. I'm looking for a blade with its tang - no handle - so that in a pinch I can insert into a pole or wooden handle for various purposes - like Ji did a while back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A neighbor of mine when I was a kid had several feet of what he called an "industrial hacksaw" blade, that was about 1/8" x 1-1/4", and he'd make knives out of it and leave the saw-teeth on the back of the knife - made a WAY better saw for most stuff than those overly-coarse ones they put on show-knives.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Cold Steel Bushman and the mini have a hollow steel handle that you can attach a spear handle to blade lengths are 4.5 &7". danny
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BigSky56 wrote:Cold Steel Bushman and the mini have a hollow steel handle that you can attach a spear handle to blade lengths are 4.5 &7". danny
I just picked up another one of those yesterday --- i have an affinity for those knives . My drawers are full of all kinds of "nicer" blades that just seem to sit around while my Bushman gets most of the action that i can't handle with a pocket knife
----- Doug
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

The Cold Steel Bushman are good knives. They /can/ be broken, but you gotta work darn hard at it.

I've got a plasma cutter and I would love to have a source of sawmill blades, large or small. Nearest sawmills I know of are a hundred or so miles away in eastern Ky.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

wecsoger wrote:The Cold Steel Bushman are good knives. They /can/ be broken, but you gotta work darn hard at it..
Streetstar and wecsoger -

That does the trick. Everything I found online - sawblade custom knives - are 5 times the cost or more of the Cold Steel knives. I didn't want a collector piece, just a tough utility emergency knife that could double as a spearhead in a pinch - for my camping kit. I have ordered a Cold Steel Bowie Bushman with a hollow handle for $24.13 shipped, with a sheath, using Amazon Prime.

Thank you.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

JohndeFresno wrote: I'm looking for a blade with its tang - no handle - so that in a pinch I can insert into a pole or wooden handle for various purposes - like Ji did a while back.
I got my Cold Steel Bushman knife for $22.00 shipping included on eBay. I then went to the local hardware store and picked up a 6' Douglas Fir closet rod for $5.99 picking out one with close, dense, straight grains for extra strength. I got home and tapered the tip to accept the knife handle. I then installed a threaded insert to accept a matching thumb screw. This makes it quick and easy to install, and remove this hollow handle knife onto the spear shaft. I added a copper pommel on the bottom end using epoxy putty for added strength. Then I French whipped a grip using tarred marline (hemp) twine, and finished it with two turk's-heads above and below. The shaft itself I rubbed down with several coats of a 50/50 mix pine tar and boiled linseed oil an old Scandinavian favorite for preserving wood. I wear the Bushman knife on my hip using a spear shaft as a walking staff, but should porcine trouble arise I can quickly get the spearhead on the shaft in a matter of seconds. I'm pretty happy with it.

Boar Spear

Business end

French whip & turk's-head grip

Copper pommel
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's how I did the removable screw and insert for the shaft.

You'll need an EZ-Lock threaded insert, and a matching thumb screw:
ImageImage

Installation super easy, just fit the Bushman on shaft, mark the hole, remove Bushman and drill proper size and depth hole for insert then screw in insert using an allen wrench. I would drill a small pilot hole first, and I also wax the insert for ease of installation into wood.
ImageImage
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's an earlier spear I made using a SKS bayonet but this was a more permanent attachment so a pain to get on and off quickly.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Back to the original question, yes, sawmill blades are used by hobbiests to make knives. My local fishing store used to consign some from a local craftsman. I can check on his name if you want more info.

It was because of the high carbon content. Same reason sherpas and ghurkas made knives in early 20th century from broken truck leaf springs.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

FatJackDurham wrote:Back to the original question, yes, sawmill blades are used by hobbiests to make knives. My local fishing store used to consign some from a local craftsman. I can check on his name if you want more info.

It was because of the high carbon content. Same reason sherpas and ghurkas made knives in early 20th century from broken truck leaf springs.
Interesting!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ji,

I remembered that innovative and beautifully appointed spear! Thank you for the refresher and all of the photos. That Ez-lock device is especially clever.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

A friend of mine in Brazil just used a eye screw directly into the wood to secure the Bushman to the shaft. He used a tropical hardwood sapling for the spear shaft. It hasn't given him any problems in a couple years. If you're gonna use a hardwood handle instead of Douglas Fir then the threaded insert may be overkill, and a eye screw more than adequate.

One thing I would recommend is whipping the steel handle of the Bushman for a more secure grip especially if raining or bloody to prevent slippage. I used some tarred hemp marline and french-whipped the grip. Looks pretty cool too.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ji - you are one clever Dude! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I want a tee handle ulu knife made from a saw blade.Image
These are Alaska Native made from old hand saw blades. The one at the top, I made from an old planer blade. The handle is moose horn.

The smaller one is quite old, and is mostly likely from a woman's skin sewing kit.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Grizzly Adams wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:I want a tee handle ulu knife made from a saw blade.Image
These are Alaska Native made from old hand saw blades. The one at the top, I made from an old planer blade. The handle is moose horn.

The smaller one is quite old, and is mostly likely from a woman's skin sewing kit.
WOW those look awesome, nice work sir. :mrgreen:
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

If you find yourself stuck on something, as a blacksmith, I can help give a tip or suggestion from the forges viewpoint. I love seeing knives folks have made.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I received the Cold Steel Bowie and was surprised to see that this inexpensive sharpened carbon steel knife, complete with a sheath, also comes with a "no questions asked" 3 year replacement guarantee if is bent or broken.

Gobbler, the design is simplicity at its best: One sheet of steel; the hollow handle being a rectangular pattern that is bent around a cylindrical anvil to form the grip. Then, a thumb screw sized hole is already drilled into one side at the base for securing the blade onto a pole. Perfect!

Oiled with Prolix, repackaged, and ready in my truck for emergency use. I'll pick up some thumb screws at the next visit to the hardware store.