Neat old picture of my Grandfather's brother

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Neat old picture of my Grandfather's brother

Post by Rube Burrows »

This is my Grandfather's brother. I found this old picture last time I visited my family in Alabama. I thought it was a pretty neat old picture and wanted to see if anyone could identify the rifle in the picture. I know its not a lever gun but still pretty neat. Im trying to date the picture.

It had to be in the 1920 or maybe the 1930s but prob. not any later than that. If I could identify the gun then it may help me with at least knowing what year it would be after.

Could it be a shotgun instead of a rifle?

All of my Grandfather's men in the family were known in those parts for being excellent shots with great hunting and trapping skills so this was a pretty neat find.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Neat old picture of my Grandfather's brother

Post by Mac in Mo »

My guess would be a Remington model 21. Great photo, by the way.

Kevin
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Remington Model 12 rimfire? Great picture!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Looks like a Remington model 12, probably a 22 rifle. They were produced from 1909 to 1936.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Damien and Geobru, I agree. My first thought was wrong.

Kevin
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i like his dog. :mrgreen:

the 22 could be a winchester 61 or a savage 29b or several others.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Rube Burrows wrote:This is my Grandfather's brother.
... your Great Uncle...

Does the gentleman have a name? (For your benefit :wink: )

A good photo.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Def Rem mod 12 -22. The ejection port is a dead giveaway. Good shooting little rifle if no parts are missing. Most common is the follower and the cartridge stop.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice photo :)

My first thought (often wrong!) was Savage!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

FWiedner wrote:
Rube Burrows wrote:This is my Grandfather's brother.
... your Great Uncle...

Does the gentleman have a name? (For your benefit :wink: )

A good photo.

:)

Hezzie Carl Wheeler
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

pwl44m wrote:Def Rem mod 12 -22. The ejection port is a dead giveaway. Good shooting little rifle if no parts are missing. Most common is the follower and the cartridge stop.
Perry

Thanks. That seems to be the most popular vote. The gun may still be in my cousins collection. It was his grandfather. He has some of grandfather's guns. They took a coupld good pictures.

Here is another.

Left to right

Thomas Nathan Wheeler (Great Grandfather), Myrt Wheeler, Bailey Woods, Hezzie Wheeler and William Chester (Check) Wheeler (My Grandfather)

The picture is of my Great Grandfather Thomas Nathan Wheeler and his sons Myrt, Hezzie and William Chester. Bailey Woods was his son in law.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Not a very common name. My Fathers name was Hessie (he said it was supposed to be spelled with two z's but the Dr. wrote S's on his birth certificate :)
Dave
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

TX50Cal wrote:Not a very common name. My Fathers name was Hessie (he said it was supposed to be spelled with two z's but the Dr. wrote S's on his birth certificate :)
Dave
Interesting. I have not heard it anywhere else.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

I agree...Remington Model 12 sir.....

rick
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Those three pelts leaning against the wall behind his dog are truly "stiff as a board". I've never seen them stretched quite like that.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

VERY COOL
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

If they had a sister I bet their brother in law, "Walked the straight and narrow" with sis!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Booger Bill wrote:If they had a sister I bet their brother in law, "Walked the straight and narrow" with sis!
They had several sisters and while Bailey Woods was a family friend I am sure he walked a straight line. They were quite the rowdy bunch from what I hear and could tell by pictures that we have.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Like the guy shot. Handsome crew. Unfortunate composition for one fellow.

Is this right.... roller, double, win-97, sav-99, unk ?

Grizz
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Grizz wrote:Like the guy shot. Handsome crew. Unfortunate composition for one fellow.

Is this right.... roller, double, win-97, sav-99, unk ?

Grizz

I know the sharply dressed guy (third from left) is holding a Winchester Model 12 shotgun. My uncle still has that rifle. The next (fourth from left) I forget what model it is but I know where it is also....its a .22 that you load in the stock. Others, im not sure of.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

damienph wrote:Those three pelts leaning against the wall behind his dog are truly "stiff as a board". I've never seen them stretched quite like that.
That is called "cased, fur in" pretty common. Most of your water critters are case skinned and put up fur in except for beaver. Also Opossum, squirrel ,weasel maybe Badger, I have seen them put up both ways. There are many types of stretching forms made from wood and wire.

It is hard to sneak anything questionable past the fur buyer when put up fur in.

Damage from knife or bullet or any repair's are right there for all the world to see.

He can glance at the color of the skin and no instantly if it is a prime or not, when prime they are whitish , harvested to early they will be dark or blueish .

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

J35nut wrote:
damienph wrote:Those three pelts leaning against the wall behind his dog are truly "stiff as a board". I've never seen them stretched quite like that.
That is called "cased, fur in" pretty common. Most of your water critters are case skinned and put up fur in except for beaver.
Would you mind briefly describing the process and purpose of this method? Thanks.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

I know the sharply dressed guy (third from left) is holding a Winchester Model 12 shotgun. My uncle still has that rifle. The next (fourth from left) I forget what model it is but I know where it is also....its a .22 that you load in the stock. Others, im not sure of.[/quote]

The fourth guy is carrying a Remington model 24 semi-auto.
Dave in TX
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

sore shoulder wrote:
J35nut wrote:
That is called "cased, fur in" pretty common. Most of your water critters are case skinned and put up fur in except for beaver.
Would you mind briefly describing the process and purpose of this method? Thanks.
To case skin you make one incision from ankle to ankle right by the anus then peel the fur off the legs, critters with furry tails you strip the tail then proceed to peel the fur down the back and belly and sides till you reach the shoulders, then work the skin loose around the shoulders and down the the inside of the front legs as far as your buyer wants then make a cut around the front legs and pull the leg's free, work the skin loose down the neck and up the head till you reach the ear butts then cut the butts and proceed down to the eyes and lips and nose, you want to make sure and do the nose right, other wise you will have a hard time stretching the skin.

The purpose is like I explained in my other post the buyer can see if the fur was harvested when prime and the hide is undamaged and fleshed properly.

The furrier's also want to cut the fur there way so you case it neatly and then they can make the best use of the pelt to suit their need's.

Canines and felines you case skin and put the pelt up fur out.

----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

TX50Cal wrote:I know the sharply dressed guy (third from left) is holding a Winchester Model 12 shotgun. My uncle still has that rifle. The next (fourth from left) I forget what model it is but I know where it is also....its a .22 that you load in the stock. Others, im not sure of.
The fourth guy is carrying a Remington model 24 semi-auto.
Dave in TX[/quote]

Thanks.

I know my cousin still has that gun as it was his grandpa's gun. My father may have another of the bunch but im not sure.