Lion Hunters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Lion Hunters

Post by Hobie »

I was just watching a History Channel show on man-eating lions and noted that #1 - one fellow used a slightly modified #4 in .303 British to kill a 3 year old man-eater with 2 shots. #2 - somebody used an 1895 Winchester to kill an elephant. Had photos but saw no reference to loads.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I was watching North to Alaska the other day they were bear hunting and one of the guides had what looked to be a sporterized No4 Mk1. The old .303 has been used just about every were to shoot just about every thing. Just goes to show it dont have to be a wizz bang magnum to get the job done :wink: . Isnt there an article on the old site about some one using a Marlin 1895 to shoot lion?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those old .303's are so tough you can use them for everything from tent pegs to jack handles and still put meat in the pot with them.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The 303 British is to the British empire what the 30-06 is to us.

:lol: And I have both. :lol:

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I just caught the first half of this show when I was at lunch I am recording the rest of it right now. They did show one ranger carrying a #4 with a cut down fore end. I thought it interesting that they called the one lion Osama. The # of people killed in that area by lions was astonishing :shock: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I think J. H. Patterson used the .303 to kill the man-eaters of Tsavo.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I made the journey to the Field Museum this past January...just to see these man-eaters. I had read Patterson's book several years ago, and it sunk the hook in me.

A bit of advice...get to the museum at opening time, and plan on spending the whole day. The African exhibit by itself...is a marvelous display.

Not visible in this photo I took...are the two skulls of these creatures, located in the corner of the display case. One of them has a bullet hole in it.

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

PP,

It is a fascinating story! JHP sure had a run of bad luck on the way to dispatching those cats.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I finally caught the History Channel program that Hobie was referring to...thanks Hobie. That fella that dispatched Osama the lion, proved himself a worthy hunter; learning the habits...then setting himself up as the bait!!!

Back at Tsavo...it is a fitting tribute to Patterson; that his bridge still stands, and is in use today.
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

Trivia anyone??

As you know, that story was put to film, Ghost in the Darkness.
But, it was also the first 3-D movie. Robert Stack in Bwana Devil.
Pepe Ray
Jesus is the way.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Every time someone mentions a Enfield I can't help but gloat about my "Smelly (SMLE) Nelly" which is of course my No.1 Mk. III rebarreled to 45/70 which I think i'd prefer to a 303 for Lions. I have 8 differents loads waiting for a trip to the Kokohead Firing Range. I also have a super cool Aussie target peep sight mounted courtesy of Bruce Scott (thanks again Tango) which i'm DYING to try out too.

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

GANJIRO wrote:Every time someone mentions a Enfield I can't help but gloat about my "Smelly (SMLE) Nelly" which is of course my No.1 Mk. III rebarreled to 45/70 which I think i'd prefer to a 303 for Lions. I have 8 differents loads waiting for a trip to the Kokohead Firing Range. I also have a super cool Aussie target peep sight mounted courtesy of Bruce Scott (thanks again Tango) which i'm DYING to try out too.

Geez Ji - isn't that a bit too much gun to be hunting house cats with? :wink: