Barrel length 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Barrel length 1873

Post by dsmith512 »

I am thinking about getting an 1873 Winchester in 45 LC. Cimarron offers several barrel lengths 30", 24", and 20".

What are the pros and cons of these lengths?

Does the 30" increase velocity and accuracy over the 24" or 20"?

Or while carrying it in the field does the added weight make you wish you would have brought a hacksaw along?

I have several other short barreled guns I could use for handiness including a 92 in .357 and a Marlin 18" guide gun in 45-70.

I do not have a long barreled lever rifle so that aspect has an appeal.

Does anyone hear have any 1873's in these lengths with stories to share?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

20".

Much more useful/handy, and in .45LC the extra barrel length can actually DECREASE velocity. IIRC handgun ammo burns ALL of its powder/pressure curve withinn 20". Anything over that just adds friction/drag on the already decelerating bullet.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you get an 1873 you aren't concerned about velocity. Factory standard pressure loads won't get more than about 1100 fps.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

To me the 24" Deluxe Sporting Rifle is the most pleasing to the eye and handles the best. Velocity usually peaks between 18" and 20", even using slow magnum powders not suitable for the `73.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I have always thought that the 20 inch is the ideal length for the 1873. However, Taylors is now listing a Trapper with 18 inch barrel octagon barrel, and either a straight or pistol grip stock in both 357 and 45LC.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products ... hester.tpl

My personal favorite is the SRC with 19 inch barrel.

PS: The 30" makes a fair fishing pole in a pinch! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

The model 73 with a 30 inch barrel is a winner in the NRA Pistol Cartridge Lever Gun Silhouette game -- the extra weight is a plus for the off hand shooting this game requires and the extra length means a longer sight radius which is inherently more accurate (all other factors being equal.)

I agree it's not very handy for CAS (except for posse shoots where the extra fire power is a plus.)
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Read somewhere that the optimum length of a '73 chambered for .44-40 is 19", 'course that is utilizing smokeless powder. That being said, with 40 grains of FFg behind a 200 grain LFN a 24 1/4" barrel will ignite 98% of the BP consistantly. So if you are going to shoot smokeless get the 20", if you are going to shoot BP get at least the 24 1/4".
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Read somewhere that the optimum length of a '73 chambered for .44-40 is 19", 'course that is utilizing smokeless powder. That being said, with 40 grains of FFg behind a 200 grain LFN a 24 1/4" barrel will ignite 98% of the BP consistantly. So if you are going to shoot smokeless get the 20", if you are going to shoot BP get at least the 24 1/4".
Good call. Hadn't considered that.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

WEll BP is out if you are buying a 45 Colt.

So I would go with a 20". :wink:

I have a Uberti in the original 30" target model. My BP loads are a problem because I do not have enough lube to travel the length of the barrel. I need to start loading a greese cookie to make it all happen.

With smokeless, it is deadly! :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have the 24"delux sporting rifle. .45 colt. It is a great shooter. I had no trouble duplicating the original 44-40 load using a 200gr bullet and HS6. I like 24" barrels.Jim.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Really depends on what you're going to do with it, but in the "cool" department, the 30" can't be beat!!! 8)
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

The longer the barrel, the longer the magazine tube. Thus, more cartridges. I remember reading Mike Venturino commenting on the cartridge capacity of the 30" barrel with regard to some specific Cowboy Action event. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the event.

Sean

PS. Why can't black powder reloads be used in a Win. 73 replica in .45 Colt?
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Junkbug,
I apologize for my post. I just bought a Kimber 1911 Custom II Stainless pistol and I have 45 ACP on the brain. :roll:

Yes, you can shoot BP in 45 colt. That being said, I would go with a 24" barrel for BP. You will get better accuracy and more velocity using BP with the 24" BBL.

I went with the 30" because I wanted more velocity with my BP loads and the bullets just don't carry enough lube to get all the way down the barrel. You need a greese cookie.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have heard of the lube problem with black powder, long barrels, and short pistol bullets with limited grease carrying capacity.

If I were to chose a Win. 73 replica, it would have to be a SRC in 44-40. For some reason, that is the replica that has the most appeal to me.

I would choose an original first, in any caliber and barrel configuration. I have not seen one in a long time.

Sean
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Yes, I agree....I woudl like to have a SRC in 44-40. $$$$$$$
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Junkbug,

As I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, the CAS event where the extra magazine capacity is really a plus is in the posse shoots where as many as fifteen shooters simultaneously engage multiple targets in a timed stage. Multiple reloading really slows the shooter down.

If you're running out of lube in a 30" barrel with BP, the easiest solution is to use duplex loads with 10% Reloder 7 or SR-4759. You get all the smoke and thunder with minimal fouling.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it. It looks like a close decision between a 20" and the 24". I guess I'll wait and get a 30" rifle when I get an single shot 1885 or maybe an 1876.

Now for the really hard decisions. The 20" and 24" cost the same. Do I want a pistol grip or straight grip? The pistol grip costs about $100 more, but I like it best. Which importer provides the highest quality Cimarron, Taylor, or Navy?

Does anyone have a Chaparral '73? They only have a straight grip rifle but it is about $300 less than the Uberti imports.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

At 24", there will still be several hundred psi left to accelerate the bullet. (Were there no pressure at 24", there'd be no report.) Perhaps with a jacketed bullet, drag on the bore will be such that it might actually decelerate by 30", but I doubt it. With a lead bullet, I'd guess you'll get a wee bit more velocity, maybe 25 fps, which isn't worth worrying about. On the other hand, at such low pressures, perhaps the seal by the case at the breech will open up and cost you some fps instead.

Mostly, the longer barrel will give you a milder report and a longer magazine. Perhaps it might get you few fps more as well. Which do you prefer the looks of?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Get the pistol grip/checkered stock; you won't regret it.