1862 Colt Police

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

1862 Colt Police

Post by Sixgun »

OK, here's the story. My buddy Gunny calls me from his mobile telling me he is on his way to buy a mess of old guns that some old timer is selling. He gets there and finds 99% of the guns are junk. He does manage to buy an Italian repo 69 cal. muzzleloader rifle for a c-note. As he was leaving, the old timer gives him this 1862 Colt, telling him he has had it since dirt was made and its missing the internal parts.

Well, Gunny stops over the house and shows me his purchases and I immediately show interest in the Colt, offering him a crsip new hundred dollar bill and a Lyman mould in 69 cal. so he can get his muzzleloader shooting in exchange for the Colt. He accepts.

I make a few phone calls and get the needed parts for the Colt, a mainspring, bolt, bolt spring, hand & spring, and a couple of screws. I had to make a hammer screw as none were to be found.

The gun is all matching, made in 1873, one of the last to be made, as the serial number is 760 higher than the last recorded.

Here's a terribly made video of me shooting it. ------------------Sixgun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OnIEKE_CSk

This is what a NEW 1862 Uberti looks like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2oBNNMdSS0

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: 1862 Colt Police

Post by Old Ironsights »

Coool...

when are you cutting it down to be a pocket pistol... :twisted: :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Well all i gotta say is, ha ha ya missed me :lol:
Now that is a pretty cool pistola there pard but lucky ya wasn`t in a gunfight. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Enjoyed the videos, looks like a fun gun you got :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well :D Weeeee doggy! That is really a cool find. And, you got it to workin' again! Super. Finish is gone mostly but some like it that way - How much to get that baby hard chromed? :D Be one of a kind for sure then.

Always thought they were cool - never shot one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Well :D Weeeee doggy! That is really a cool find. And, you got it to workin' again! Super. Finish is gone mostly but some like it that way - How much to get it hard chromed? :D Be one of a kind for sure then.

Always thought they were cool - never shot one.

Ya know OS, you got me thinkin'. (that ain't easy) The sight on these guns are a notch in the top of the hammer. Now.............if I can figure out how to mount a horizontal hammer on this gun, I can make it "homey style". :D ............and be cooo in da hood.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun you find the coolest toys!..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was standing by my desk sucking on a lemon and watching your fine video. Pretty neat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hobie wrote:I was standing by my desk sucking on a lemon and watching your fine video. Pretty neat!

Ha! I just caught that one. Took me a minute or so, (hey, I'm half Italian)

Stonewall Jackson used to suck on lemons! :D (I guess you heard me :oops: ) :D Sixgun

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Shooting at water is something I was taught not to do because a bullet, or in this case ball can skip off the water. But I figured the fellow knew what was on the other side. Then I saw the horse.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sixgun,
I really like that. One of the first Colts I ever shot was an 1862 Police almost like that. That's been 60 years ago.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jeepnik wrote:Shooting at water is something I was taught not to do because a bullet, or in this case ball can skip off the water. But I figured the fellow knew what was on the other side. Then I saw the horse.
Wow, I never knew bullets could skip on water. It was OK. I was trying to shoot the gun and hold the camera with the other hand. The horse was 45 degrees to my left. There's nothing for about a half mile in the direction I was shooting and my family owns most of that. But you probably did not know that just by watching my cruddy video. At 500 fps, I don't think the ball would go more than a hundred yards as I was already shooting at a 40 degree angle.

If I shot the horse, the last thing I would be worrying about is the horse as that horse has been my wife's pet for 25 years and she is a full blooded Italian. She would have showed me how you can jam an 1862 Colt in small orifices. :D

Thanks for caring though. Your comments will help me and others to be more safe in the future and speaking of the future you could think about MYOB and then GFY. :D --------Sixgun :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks guys. I have been playing with cartridge guns for so long I never realized what I was missing in the C&B guns. Might be a new direction to take. :D ------------Sixgun

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ricochets are and interesting topic and generally they go a lot farther than we may think. I have no doubt you know well what is behind you. If you were holding the gun at about 4 ft off the ground at 40 degrees the can would have to have been less than 6 ft from you. I am guessing the angle would have be more like 15 to 20 degrees possibly less. Saw a lot of pistol bullets skip off the desert dirt into a high berm beyond at a place where we used to shoot. Have checked on this sort of thing a few times when friends were interested - hard to tell I would say here is one fellows report.

Me and two friends spent a calm evening skipping bullets on a lake the water was mirror smooth it was over a mile to the heavy cedar swamp on the other side with no people there.
44 magnum Hornady 200 gr HP @ 1590 f/s no skips even out at long range.
44 magnum 262 gr semiwadcutter @ 1430 f/s one skip @ about 200 yds out of 18 tried.
44 special 246gr factory round nose all skipped and some all the way across!
22 rimfire yes except hollow points.
.223 hard ball yes and all the way across started at 100 yds closer would dig in.
30-06 hard ball yes soft point no it would dig in.
38/357 we could not skip any hollow points but one flat point and all round nose and pointed bullets would skip many times.
Round ball .562 no but later I did it at about 30 feet from me.
The most entertaining was those big finned German "rifled" slugs (Benneke) in 12ga. hitting out about 150 or more yards . They would hit turn slightly hit then turn and a couple actual made complete circles before stopping a little over a half mile out. These were fired from 18" smooth bore barrel.
With the exception of the shot gun slug all bullets skipped strait in the very calm water waves or ripples do change the direction of bullets if they skip. The 30-06 black tipped armor piercing bullets did go into the cedar trees on other side of lake and we heard the impact echo so I suspect they were fast enough to still be lethal.
After dark we fired some tracers but not into the water they went high and into lake when they came down.

Might be interesting to try some experiment - low velocity seems to skip more than high in some of these reports.
Last edited by Old Savage on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Sixgun, thanks for the report.
Very interesting!

/Stefan
Sweden
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:
Hobie wrote:I was standing by my desk sucking on a lemon and watching your fine video. Pretty neat!

Ha! I just caught that one. Took me a minute or so, (hey, I'm half Italian)

Stonewall Jackson used to suck on lemons! :D (I guess you heard me :oops: ) :D Sixgun
:wink: He would also stand most of the time as he thought it aligned his internal organs better.

That is a neat pistol and story.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

M. M. Wright wrote:Sixgun,
I really like that. One of the first Colts I ever shot was an 1862 Police almost like that. That's been 60 years ago.
M.M.,
Ain't that somethin' how we remember the neat old guns we have shot but totally forget about that Ruger, Rem.700, whatever modern junk? There's just something about the old historic guns that really adds to the excitement. Now that I'm excited thinkin' about them, I'm going outside and rip a few from the old Remington-Keene.--------------Sixgun

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:Sixgun you find the coolest toys!..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+1 I just love the 1862 Police. Truly a miniature 1860 Army. All the lines and styling. What a find!!!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

You lucky dog! :D
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sixgun, sorry I offended you. But, some folks only learn the hard way. I hope if you do ever learn the lesson no one else pays the price for your education.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad