Looking for 22 rimfire rifle advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Looking for 22 rimfire rifle advice

Post by KirkD »

I'm thinking of acquiring a semi-auto 22 rimfire rifle that can give me less than 2" five-shot groups at 100 yards, and I want to be able to solidly mount an expensive (say $500-$1,000) scope on it. What would you recommend that would fit the bill? I'd like it to hold at least 10 rounds.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Looking for 22 rimfire rifle advice

Post by roundup »

You might have to shop around a bit and expend some money on specialty items: Barrel, trigger group, stock etc..you're already committed to an expensive scope, but my suggestion would be a Ruger 10/22.
Happy Trails!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

10/22.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

You might look at a laminated stock Marlin mod 60.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Kirk,
I do not know about aftermarket magazines. One of your requirements was 10 round capability.
I have the Remington 597 series in .22LR & .22 Mag. I like them both.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

10-22 would fit that job, and if you really wanted a blast from the past find a Remington nylon 66 or a speedmaster, and the old marlin model 60 (?)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

10/22T. Good to go!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Don McDowell wrote:10-22 would fit that job, and if you really wanted a blast from the past find a Remington nylon 66 or a speedmaster, and the old marlin model 60 (?)
While I like the Nylon 66, it not a good candidate for a scope. It has a stamped steel reciever cover that the scope mounts to and it is held in place on the nylon body by two screws. Not a very rigid mount for a scope. The advantages of the Nylon 66 is its very light carry weight and reliability. The one I had went years (!) without cleaning and the only time it would misfire was the fault of the ammo.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Keep in mind you can build 10/22s from the ground up. There's so much aftermarket on these things that they're like ARs. If I were to do it again, I would probably do this as opposed to buying off the shelf.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

If weight is not a problem I would go with a 10/22 T. I got a buddy who is mid 40's never been married and is mortgage free. As a result his gear is top notch. He uses the 10/22T. Grin. I love Butler creek steel lip mags in my regular 10/22. Next time out i will shoot for groups with it and my little Brothers 10/22 T and let you know the difference bud.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, you can probably guess what an old man will tell you. I have a Remington 550-1 that my dad bought for me in the spring of 1953. It is a big long old rifle with a real walnut stock, it shoots shorts long and long rifle mixed up in a handful. It has a big Weaver 4x and will pick golf balls at 100 yards. Years ago I traded for a 10/22 and it just could not hold up to the old Remington. Most of the new rifles are all small little things. I hope you can find a rifle that meets your needs.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

JerryB,
When my aunt died, I inherited that rifle and her 99% Colt Diamondback.
Both nice guns.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

If the CZ 511 is anything like the bolt action CZ 452 that I have (the most accurate .22 LR I have - dime sized groups at 50 yds.), it would be my first choice for a semiauto .22 LR. Wood and blued steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx2hKR_XI2A
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

These rifles come with an accuracy guarantee, of 5-shot, 3/8" groups, at 50 yds. I was doing a lot less than that, with the one I had.

https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volq ... e-firearms
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'll second the 10/22 T as easily capable of meeting that standard.

Best hundred yard group with mine was .385 at an indoor hundred yard range (yes, indoor :D )--- rifle was stock with a Bushnell 5-15x42 "tacticool" scope. Ammo was. eley 10x. cCI green tag also worked well but occasionally has feeding issues because it is somewhat slow

granted, the groups would likely open up outside with the slightest puff of a breeze
----- Doug
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

66GTO wrote:
Don McDowell wrote:10-22 would fit that job, and if you really wanted a blast from the past find a Remington nylon 66 or a speedmaster, and the old marlin model 60 (?)
While I like the Nylon 66, it not a good candidate for a scope. It has a stamped steel reciever cover that the scope mounts to and it is held in place on the nylon body by two screws. Not a very rigid mount for a scope. The advantages of the Nylon 66 is its very light carry weight and reliability. The one I had went years (!) without cleaning and the only time it would misfire was the fault of the ammo.
The Nylon 66 I had back in the 60's and 70's wore a Bushnell scopechief 4x 22 scope, and I won't go into details on how many years that combination killed jackrabbits and ground squirrels at distances I won't put here cuz some wouldn't believe it anyway... :wink:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

JerryB wrote:Kirk, you can probably guess what an old man will tell you. I have a Remington 550-1 that my dad bought for me in the spring of 1953. It is a big long old rifle with a real walnut stock, it shoots shorts long and long rifle mixed up in a handful. It has a big Weaver 4x and will pick golf balls at 100 yards. Years ago I traded for a 10/22 and it just could not hold up to the old Remington. Most of the new rifles are all small little things. I hope you can find a rifle that meets your needs.
I must agree, I also own a Remington 550-1. I have owned many 10/22's over the years and none can match the Remington 550-1 I have now.
The 10/22's were subject to not liking certain ammo, not so with the Remington it will cycle and digest any type I deposit in the tubular mag. The tube holds 15-17 22LR's, and close to 21 22 shorts.

The piece was designed by Carbine Williams, as he work on contract for Remington for a short time. The piece has Williams patent numbers on the barrel.
I sold all my Ruger 10/22's.
The later 550-1's receivers were grooved for scope mounting.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Volquartsen is to accurate 10/22's what Saleen is to Mustangs.

I would start there.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have shot 3" or so groups at 100yds or so with a 1969 Browning .22 Auto...this was with factory iron sights....I would have to say that a quality mounted scope would half that easily.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Panzercat wrote:Keep in mind you can build 10/22s from the ground up. There's so much aftermarket on these things that they're like ARs. If I were to do it again, I would probably do this as opposed to buying off the shelf.
Even the RECEIVERS can be bought third-party (see Brownell's catalog or on-line). Of course they are "firearms" and have to be transferred accordingly, but you can really go high-grade if you want. A "regular" one with a good stock and re-bedding can probably shoot as well as you're saying, and if not, re-barrel it, drop in a replacement trigger, and then it will. If you upgrade the barrel, you can get threaded ones for suppressors, which can actually enhance accuracy further.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

MrMurphy wrote:Volquartsen is to accurate 10/22's what Saleen is to Mustangs.

I would start there.
I'll agree with MrMurphy

I've read considerably on .22s over the past few years & keep going back to the Volquartsen site as well - but don't own one...

lots of good rimfire reading at: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

At rimfire central KIDD products are also oft mentioned: http://www.coolguyguns.com/RiflesReceivers_c_10.html
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Lots of very good and interesting advice to digest. I sure appreciate all the input. Thanks men!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

A bone stock 10/22 carbine/sporter won't do what ya want but it's not as bad as some might lead you to believe. I'm not one for punchin a bunch of paper but have some groups stuck away in a file. Only group I found beyond 50 yards was with a stock 10/22, measured 2.25" at 90 yards using Velocitors. Not known as target ammo by any means. Honestly that's pretty dang good for a stock 10/22 but won't hold to what you want. Maybe you're on a budget, with a $500-$1000 scope it doesn't sound like you are, but IME for an additional $200-$250 (under $450 total) and about an hours time you can have a 10/22 shooting with anything short of full out target guns. Yes you can spend more, much much more, but that first $200-$250 is where most of the gains are made. Basically for $450 you will have what you want, very likely it'll do even better than you want with ammo it prefers, and it's gonna be dang hard to get more bang for your buck.

Someone mentioned the 10/22T, from everything I've seen it may very well do what you want right outta the box. But it's still gonna need some wrenching to make it enjoyable. Ruger uses the same crappy triggers, same bolts in all their 10/22's. Both need attention. The barrels on the T's are obviously better than the factory carbine barrels but IMO they still aren't as good as most of the aftermarket stuff. In short, I'd rather build a 10/22 than buy a T.

BTW, don't get stuck into the idea of needing a bull barrel if you don't want. My 10/22 with a 16.5" fluted sporter shoots dime size groups at 50 yards with hunting ammo.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

My Rem. nylon 66 can do that.

Otherwise , 10-22
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

MrMurphy wrote:Volquartsen is to accurate 10/22's what Saleen is to Mustangs.

I would start there.
+1
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have a bull barreled 10/22 with some hi speed parts. It does one hole at 50 yards even with cheap bulk ammo. At 100 I'm guessing it will do one bigger hole, haven't started stretching it out yet. The factory Ruger 10 round mags seem to be the best.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Kirk,
I use Winchester Model 74 22s. I know, this will require buying a used gun but they are available and not very expensive. They do not have a grooved receiver so I use side mounts on them, I have 2. There is a long and a short barreled version. The tubular magazine is in the butt and they look a lot like the CZ someone suggested. Being an old Winchester, the triggers a usually very good. A lot of them were made in short only for galleries. You don't want one of these as they are usually worn out. I've used mine successfully to win many a turkey and hog shoot. These old contests require the use of open sights but that was back when I could still see pretty good. Cheat and try several brands of match ammo to find what it likes.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A standard 10/22 only needs to things to make it shoot 10X better than stock. First is a trigger job, next is fire lapping the stock barrel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I had about the same goals, and went with a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. Trigger was lousy, I put a Geissele into it & it's just a pleasure to shoot. Less than 2" at 100yds is no problem, mine will do a fair amount better. They come with a match-grade Thompsin heavy-ish barrel. Magazines come in 10-rd & 25-rd (or at least they did a couple years ago) & are very easy to load because they have a button on each side that you move down while you're loading & it takes the spring tension off the round being loaded.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nobody mentioned Thomson Center jobbie yet!

This Is KD men! He ain't gonna put quality glass on no ally clad tin parts plastic thing!

He is a man of steel gents!

Nath :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

A 10-22 with a quality match grade after market barrel can easily do what you want. :wink:
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Kirk, whatever you decide on try to get a couple of bricks of .22lr thrown in on the deal, you may be able to retire early on it!
Best shooting .22s Ive had have been Marlins, 25 in a bolt gun and a 795 semi auto. The 795 would maybe(?)come close to 2"@ 100yds with the right loads, the model 25 would do it I'm sure. Down side to the 795 was it was finicky on ammo, some of the best shooting was the worst feeding. Triggers on both s*** as they came new. My 10/22 is a great shooter, and I think it could be tuned for 100yd shooting. I do think I should have hung onto the 795 and worked with it some, it just had a good feel to it.
The Remington 66 I had for years, (some alpha hotel liberated it from me in '74, my dad had bought it for me in '67), was without question the most reliable semi auto I ever saw, could not keep a scope zeroed on it, though it always shot minute of squirrel @ 25-50yds with the irons on it.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I bought a 1022 Deluxe yrs ago. I replaced the barrel with an early production Midway barrel and a Volquartsen cantilever scope mount. I also change the stock to a Reinhold Fajen Thumbhole. At 50 yards it will shoot 3/8 to 1/2" groups if I am not too excited. This barrel is most accurate with Federal Classic (almost all gone) and Remington Subsonics.

If you like a bolt action then an Anschutz will do that with no work. Just more bucks even on the used market.
Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks again for all the input. I sure appreciate it. It looks like there are two primary issues: accuracy and dependability.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Only group I found beyond 50 yards was with a stock 10/22, measured 2.25" at 90 yards using Velocitors. Not known as target ammo by any means.
I've got some of that Velociter ammo, I really like it and it packs a thump, but I've never bought any real target .22. Supposed to get some weather in this weekend, but when it clears next week I'm going to put a few through the bull barreled 10/22 at the 100 yard target and see how they do.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

The Ruger 10/22 deserves all the mention it has gotten in this thread. The BX-25 banana magazine and the flush 10 round rotary magazine are strong features of the 10/22. If you can find an older 10/22 without all the plastic parts, that would be the ticket.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

10-22. As said before lap the barrel and it should get you pretty close with otherwise stock gun. And if that does not get you where you want to be start doing the aftermarket parts. Neat thing is you can trick the rifle all the way out, then in a couple of minutes turn it back into a plain jane plinker.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Other than the Fajen stock and Midway match chambered Shilen barrel this little rifle only has a Volquartsen target hammer that turns the trigger into a sweet shooting little gun.
With selected ammo it will hit a golf ball every shot at 100 yd. without trying very hard.
Just your basic little Ruger 10-22. :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There are some nice little rifles here! I'm thinking of the 10/22 T. I won't be competing, I just want to be able to make head shots on rabbits at 100 yards with the quietness of a 22 rimfire. I would prefer something that could use shorts, but it sounds like the 10/22 is only good for LR.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Now if you are serious about shorts, I have my Aunt's Remington semi auto thet will shoot shorts, longs or LR,s interchangably.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well after what JerryB said about his old Remington, I might seriously consider one. I see they don't make them anymore, but there is a gun show coming up at the end of the month. I'm up in Canada, so buying one in the USA is a pain, requiring an export permit. I'll be seeing what comes up at the show. I really do like the idea of being able to shoot both shorts and LR's.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Just so you know, this was made when Remington made good rifles.
Stock is stunning good looking, blue is really good, it is a full size rifle.
Hope you do well, it is not going anywhere.
More interested in trade anyway.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would surely be interested in that rifle! But the cost of getting the export permit, etc. would run me close to $200.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

You can get a conversion kit for Shorts in a 1022. Volquartsen sells it. Not cheap.
Pierre
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Knowing you bro--------------------seeing what you want to spend on scope-----------------

Might as well--------------------------------DO IT!( the SS 21.5" I-Fluted laminited stock model)
https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volq ... s,16-22-lr

The Target 10/22 is not too bad as is the take down Browning semi 22

But with that scope-------few more C-Notes (might as well) :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by madman4570 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Madman, you are leading me into temptation! :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KirkD wrote:Madman, you are leading me into temptation! :D

ya, and----------------------------- I KNOW YOU! :wink: :D
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Now you've done it! I'm actually going to inquire at the local supplier about these fancy V-rimfires. It has the look of a surgical instrument.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I need to get a picture.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Where are you at in Canada?
My brother lives in Paulsbo, Wa., my SIL has family in Canada; maybe the trade won't be so difficult.