Looking for 22 rimfire rifle advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Looking for 22 rimfire rifle advice

Post by KirkD »

I live in the Eastern half, North of NY state. However, a photo would not hurt (famous last words).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here you go.

pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Booger Bill
Nice M63! What year is it? I have one that my uncle had.
Pierre
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang! Booger Bill beat me to it. I was going to suggest a Model 63 Winchester. Mine shoots extremely well and am quite sure it would do 2" easily....if it had a scope. Its easy to shoot into 3" with junk ammo and a Lyman 56 receiver sight. You will have to "destroy" one by D&T but I have seen them for sale already "ruined".

As others have said the Ruger will do it easily but Rugers are just that.....Rugers. You want to be different............and classy at the same time.

I'm thinkin'..............Did Browning make a repo of the 63? If so get that as it ain't no big deal to "destroy" one of those.

Nylon 66's or other low end .22 autos with removable trigger assemblies have impossible to tune triggers.-------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

About 10000 of the 63's have the receiver cut for Tip off mounts. No D&T required in those cases.

Here is a picture of my grandfather, Mom's Dad, pre 1920. His hand has a M1903. He used it for rabbits as well, per mom's recollection.
Pierre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

KirkD wrote:Now you've done it! I'm actually going to inquire at the local supplier about these fancy V-rimfires. It has the look of a surgical instrument.

A look of a surgical instrument, yes that would be the proper tool for such a fine shooting doctor as yourself my friend.
You do nothing half hearted from all my observations Kirk! :mrgreen:
Whatever gun you do choose, with you shooting it,that gun will be all it can indeed be! :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I think Tauras did a reproduction of the 63.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My 63 is #173404. I belive it was built in late 1957 or 1958 right at the end of production. Unbelivebly, I bought it new in the box with hanging tag etc in about 1971. It is grooved. I have shot it very little and made a safe queen although I will shoot it a little as I am starting to think why not? I had a girl friend that cleaned my house and threw the box away!!!!! I dont know how the gunshop managed to come up with that rifle new after it was out of production by 14 years so! I bought that gun from the "gunshop" in lancaster california when jack first had it. He is the parts guy in rapid city.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

All this has made me start frothing at the mouth at the thought of a local gun show coming up in less than two weeks.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Booger Bill
Mine is approx 57 as well, #160100. Dad says that my uncle had bought it new.
Pierre
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Mescalero wrote:I think Tauras did a reproduction of the 63.
Dont bother. :x
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That bad, huh?
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I like the looks of the T/C semi .22LR, and the feel of the Browning Buckmark semi, but alas I own a 10/22 because of price. It is a fine shooter. Wonder around at cheapgunparts.com to see some great instructions and parts for the 10/22. I bought a polymer bolt buffer and a different hammer for mine from there and now the trigger pull is easier giving better accuracy. I started out with a red dot which gave ok accuracy. Now it has a Bushnell 4x which gives darn good accuracy out to 100 yds.