OT - The GF is studying hard for the Hunter's Safety test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT - The GF is studying hard for the Hunter's Safety test

Post by Jason_W »

She's taking a day long marathon course this saturday.

She's getting a bit aggrevated though due to the fact that the workbook often has questions that are not covered in the corresponding instructional textbook, not to mention some outright contradictions.

In the part that covers the field dressing of deer, one set of instructions has the hunter cutting through the pelvic bone while the topic overview on the next page says "do not cut bone" :roll:

I'm not a huge fan of our states dept. of fish and wildlife for a variety of reasons.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

"Just get through it" seems to be a mantra a state run events, doesn't it?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

In Wa, it's a 22 hour long heartbreaker. They are currently doing people born 1972 and after, but rumor has it that they want everyone to take it....... They's make better use of my money sending State drones thru a Constitutional Law course.
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

that's pretty much what I'm telling her. give them the answers they want in order to pass the course.

Aside from the actual firearms safety stuff, a lot of what's in the book is simply impractical. Their suggested field dressing kit includes a hatchet and bone saw. I like to travel a lot lighter than that.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Hey good on her for wanting to get in to the sport.

Yeah some of the stuff is kind of silly. The course I went threw in Alabama wasnt to bad and I came away with some good info and had a chance to talk some older more experienced hunters. The only problem I had with the course was the online course wear was a bit off from the class room work.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've taken gun safety courses ... when I was young and really smart. But I've never taken a hunter safety course. My feelings are why do I need to?
Now wait a minute before you pounce on me.

There is no difference between gun safety and hunter safety. Both require you to make sure of the target and backstop. Make sure you don't shoot anything you don't want to destroy, and all guns are loaded always.

Now, as for the skinning and gutting of the animal, the state mandated courses don't need to to cover that. Doing so sounds to me like money grabbing to me.

So, unless it's forced on me I'll skip the Hunters Safety course.

Besides I can't keep a knife sharp enough to gut or skin a deer anyway.

Joe