Have never seen ammo supply this bad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Have never seen ammo supply this bad

Post by madman4570 »

Was at Walmart today (in Pa)killing time while our Schnauzer was getting a hair cut :D and went over the the Hunting/Fishing Dept.
OMG--------all they had was 3 boxes of 20ga #7 shells and 5 packs of the 12ga(5 pack slugs)

This was about it :shock:

Now, I was told last month by a Walmart District Manager at a Gun Shop(Walmart is not going to quite selling the gun/ammo stuff ?

Could have fooled me by looking at it today unless all the stock warehouses are completely empty???

Absolutely unreal
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Have never seen ammo supply this bad

Post by Blaine »

The old guy at WallyWorld gun counter showed me as he scanned a tag for an empty shelf slot. Back-ordered at the warehouse, which jibes with MidWay USA when they say out of stock, no back order. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

If no one is finding ammo, where is it going? Is it being doled out the back door at the factory?

Kevin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For most dealers ammo is channeled through distributors. This doesn't include the big retailers like Accusport, Jerrys, Midway, Walmart, and so forth. All these primary recipients are getting their orders partially filled and are doling out to the next in line be it dealers or their stores. For the distributor to dealer chain, each salesman (who in turn handles the accounts of a given number of dealers) gets allocated just so much. This is to ensure a more fair distribution. The salesman in turn will allocate to the dealers. Most do give a bit of preference to their bigger buyers. At periods of high demand any given item can be allocated. In periods of low demand for any given item it is fair game to all. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar and I've no doubt that the personal relationships between all the various parties involved affect availability of whatever is available for distribution.

So, the distributors (and above them the manufacturers) were inundated with orders as the dealers were hit with demand following the 14 December shooting in Newtown, CT. The run actually started MINUTES after (perhaps even before) the POTUS went on the air with his statement at about 1100-1130 EST. it has been said that at least one distributor took their salespersons off the phones and put them in the warehouse in attempt to pack and ship orders in a timely fashion. Where an order would be packed and shipped the same or next day (items in stock) it was suddenly impossible to do so and orders were taking 2+ weeks to pack for shipment. Unlike 2008, distributors seemed to immediately go to a system of rationing to provide the best possible service to ALL their customers. Many dealers did the same.

So far as I know, and others have provided substantiating information, all manufacturers are doing all they can to produce all the product they can. I know that a local producer of AR lower and upper forgings went from a 5-day a week, day-shift only production schedule to 24-7 production. That is more than a 3-fold increase in production and yet they are about 6-9 months behind current orders. I think we're seeing the same for ammunition and certain handguns as well as magazines.

As the demand progressed from ARs and their magazines to all semi-auto firearms using "high" capacity magazines and the ammunition for those firearms to components and even .22 LR ammunition, shelves were stripped bare which initiated the hoarding of most other types of ammo. It seems everybody has a story related to this.

The demand isn't slacking at all. The only thing slowing the purchase of these items is availability. There has been a demand for diversity and you see it in the people demanding these things. Neither age, race, gender nor political affiliation seems to be a determining factor. We've seen a huge uptick in the number of formerly marginal users who are buying guns and ammunition just because they've become aware of the shortages.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that, no, the ammo isn't going out the backdoor of anything. It is being distributed among the public as quickly as the chain of supply allows.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Study up on the Stamp Acts to learn what's going on!! The American people believe they need to prepare for war against an uncontrollable tyrant's minions. If you believe the .22 rifle is the best survival rifle there is, you soon might get to test that belief. If you believe it's another caliber that's best for survival, you might get to test that belief also. I'm not trying to be negative, but mostly factual. History will repeat itself sooner or later, and Americans are convinced it will be sooner.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

rimrock wrote:Study up on the Stamp Acts to learn what's going on!! The American people believe they need to prepare for war against an uncontrollable tyrant's minions. If you believe the .22 rifle is the best survival rifle there is, you soon might get to test that belief. If you believe it's another caliber that's best for survival, you might get to test that belief also. I'm not trying to be negative, but mostly factual. History will repeat itself sooner or later, and Americans are convinced it will be sooner.
I don't know that I can speak for everyone but they are certainly voting with their money! Whatever it is they believe, they BELIEVE!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote::roll:
You don't like guns and ammo anymore? :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote::roll:
You don't have to agree with them to acknowledge that they believe they must do what they are doing. Gold wouldn't be worth what it is but for this same belief.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Of course they have the right to do so, so do we all.
I just do not think it is as dire as some have expressed.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mescalero wrote:Of course they have the right to do so, so do we all.
I just do not think it is as dire as some have expressed.
Well, it may not have BEEN as dire as they thought, but it might be in the future and in a way is now because they believe it to be so. Perception is 90% of reality. I know you probably realize this, but it is preferable to understand how people think what they do when they do without necessarily allowing them to influence your own thoughts particularly in such things.
Sincerely,

Hobie

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It's a classic panic and hoarding has set in. No rocket science.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

There are two types of reality:
reality as it is, it is inalterable.
percieved reality, which is what we are dealing with here.
I believe the percieved reality is more onerous than the actual reality will be.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Makes sense Hobie-----excellent explanation of what's going on!
Thank you! :wink:

Man you guys, this is one great Forum!--------honestly, I am always learning something on here------ :mrgreen:

Great members/Great leaders===============top notch!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Local range is offering $30/brick 22 LR and selling it for $50/brick.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Our local Walley World had some CCI Mini Mag today but they only would let me have three boxes of the five that were left. The gal said they got in 4 bricks last night and by noon it was gone. The guy behind me got the last two. :x
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

So is anyone seeing a run on BP or is it just the smokeless powders, etc?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Bumped into a pal of mine in Vegas today and I asked him if he'd been shooting much. "Not if I can't replace the ammo," he said. Thankfully his re-qual is in a few weeks so he'll get some range time in there, but it's the affect on everything re. the hobby and sport of shooting that bothers me. It's far reaching.

Another pal's son bought a Colt AR-15 up in Anchorage. Great gun and got a good price but can't find any ammo to go and break it in! I'm going to see if I can figure out how to mail him some when I get back home later this week. I'm hopeful that I can still do it at the UPS hub, but I'm not sure if Alaska is going to be a problem. Thank God I've got some to spare the kid if I can figure out how to work it.

Re. the question: No shortage of BP or BP substitutes in Tucson. Lots of it available.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

My question of ammo going out the back door was tongue in cheek. I just cannot fathom that there is no .22 rimfire to be had. It simply seems non- existent around here and I read the same from all over. I understand what is going on, I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.
I was at my usual reloading supply shop last week and they had more powder than I have ever seen there. Brass and bullets were on hand also.

Thanks, Kevin
1894c

Post by 1894c »

first time in a long time (civil war?) that the American people are afraid of their government... :(
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I could not find a pound of W748, in the state of OR. I was told that besides us 30-30 shooters that .223/5.56 loaders love it also.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

30wcf wrote:first time in a long time (civil war?) that the American people are afraid of their government... :(
Not just lunatic fringe (pick your fringe group) types, normal everyday housewives, college students, blue AND white collar workers, and the unemployed as well. Race doesn't seem to matter as much as one might think based on the voting patterns. I hate to say it but these are interesting times.
Sincerely,

Hobie

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't see any panic, and I don't see any fear.

I see people wisely preparing... just in case. I don't believe that people are afraid of their government, but they know enough to be on guard.

I think it's a plain and simple case of seeing what may be coming, and knowing that they have to get ready.

The fact that others weren't as quick on the buzzer is just... what is that phrase?... oh...

TOO BAD.

It will settle down... eventually.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

olyinaz wrote:It's a classic panic and hoarding has set in. No rocket science.
You're right, it is not rocket science but I don't think it can all be attributed to panic buying and hoarding. I think that many people are making sound decisions to purchase firearms, accessories and ammunition based on the current anti-gun trends reflected by our President, Vice-President, Secretary of State, most Democrat and many Republican legislators, Governors, Mayors, Judges, popular "actor/activists", and educators at all levels.

My nephew's second grade daughter came home from school last week and told him that her teacher said that no one should have guns in their homes because when they get mad they might shoot each other. He is meeting with the teacher and the principal on Thursday.

I just don't see the panic or hoarding, what I see (and have personally made after the 2008 election) is the decision to buy what they want while they can. Both firearms, "high" capacity magazines, and ammunition.

Luckily, because of my decision to stock up (hoard?) ammunition and components when the buying was easy, at 59 years of age and given my family history, I probably have enough that I can stretch it out to last the rest of my life.

I know, many of you think that some of us are over reacting, all of this will pass, no need to get excited, this is America, can't happen here. Tell that to the New Yorkers.

Ok, Andrew, if you don't mind, would you help me off my soap box please. :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

damienph,
Was not soap boxish to me at all.
I thought it to be well reasoned, thought out and well written.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

awp101 wrote:So is anyone seeing a run on BP or is it just the smokeless powders, etc?
BP forums commenting no black powder pistols can be found, new or used.

Caps impossible to find.

If there'sa bp shortage, it's not evident here. It's been difficult to find the holy black for 10 years.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

damienph wrote: Ok, Andrew, if you don't mind, would you help me off my soap box please. :mrgreen:
Of course! Always glad to help my elders! Will you be needing just the cane or the full walker? :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mescalero wrote:damienph,
Was not soap boxish to me at all.
I thought it to be well reasoned, thought out and well written.
Mescalero, here's the genesis of the soapbox reference... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46934
:mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Things have gotten so extreme a friend has informed me that he has laid in a life time supply of Brazilian harmonicas.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Things have gotten so extreme a friend has informed me that he has laid in a life time supply of Brazilian harmonicas.
I'll bet he got them for a song.... :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ay Caramba!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Like the crazy ocean hug shore, sway with me, stay with me ...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Was down in NY State last weekend and heard that the Department of Homeland Security has purchased a massive pile of ammo .... can't recall how much but it was comparable to what has been expended in Iraq. It's probably just a false rumour, but if it is true, I wonder who they plan on using that ammo on? I'm Canadian with no vested interest, but if I were an American, I'd not be happy with the direction things are going, i.e., more rules and regs and monitoring, coupled with decreasing liberties and freedoms and increasing freeloaders.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Kirk,
I am American and grew up on the southern border.
I have been hearing about these large purchases of ammo for a while now.
Charles, another member here; is another border person with a long history here.
He will attest that the prescence on the southern border is an increase of a thousand fold from when we were young.
All these people must practice and qualify with issue guns.
When I bought and salvaged a building from the border partrol, we were there first thing in the morning when 3rd shift came off, I have never seen so many heavily armed men and women outside of a standing army.
Pistols, AR's, shotguns.
The numbers may sound huge to the average person, I can see that ammo being required to keep the force prepared.
I guess I don't see the evil that others do.
I am no fan of large government.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Yes indeedy, these are interesting times. In my short fourtyseven years here on earth, I have not seen anything like this. Gun bans have been slung around since I can remember. However I have never seen or heard of sherrifs standing up against bans and states scrambling to make laws to keep guns leagle or not like what we are seeing. I never thuoght there would be a civil war over firearms but now I'm not so sure. Not that I think pro gun states or sherrifs are wanting such things. However I can see the anti's going that far. I beleive things are bad, not that they can't settle down. However I don't think it would take much for things to go south in a hurry also with everything that is happening here and around the world. I'm not scrambling for ammo but I wouldn't mind having a few more molds for some of my guns.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Looks like I was right, confirmed in the politics section.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thought that number was too ----- high.