Canadian Ammo Supply

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Canadian Ammo Supply

Post by Dewight »

I know we have a few Canadians who hang around here. I was wondering if the ammo buying here has had any effect on there ammo supplies.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Canadian Ammo Supply

Post by KirkD »

I was just at the local shooting supplies last week. The shelves were loaded with ammo, except I didn't see any .223. I bought a few thousand primers and a couple pounds of powder. I asked how their supplies were and he said 'so-so'. Prices for the primers and powder were normal.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

Just went to the store yesterday, as well. Not much .223 but they had tons of .32WS and .30WCF. Lots of .303 and .30-06. Not much change from last year, really.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Went to two gunstores this weekend. Lots of Ammo, picked up a flat of 22 lr asked the manager how things where, he said he had an american ask if he could buy all his 22 LR last week, he had a large pallet full of cases containing 5000 rounds a case. He asked, how are you going to import it. That thought kinda killed the deal. One store had no target loads in 12 Guage the other had a pallet full. Walmart has very little to no 22 Lr or 12 Guage at several stores I visited. Lots of centerfire rifle ammo at walmart. We are at the far end of a very long empty pipeline, so while we have a good supply, on wonders how long it will take to fill that pipeline.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Here in Nova Scotia where I live , there is no ammo shortage per say.Right now we are winding down our hunting season and there isn t as much of demand because of the winter weather for ammo for shooting at the ranges as such plus a lot of guys I know ,are dreaming of the opening of fishing season, so shooting is kind of forgotten .The problem we will have is when the demand starts and what we have is gone it will be a long time before the supply will be replenished, thats a big worry of some of the retailers I ve talked to.But then again with all the hording going on down in the States people buying 5 lifetimes supply of ammo we might be the Ammunition manufactures only customers as everyone else may not be buying ammo for years to come. :mrgreen:

In a sense this will probably end up being a feast and famine for the manufactures and retailers as while things are going all out now they in the future will be trying to sell their goods to a
heavily saturated consumer.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

barbarossa wrote: ... with all the hording going on down in the States people buying 5 lifetimes supply of ammo we might be the Ammunition manufactures only customers as everyone else may not be buying ammo for years to come. :mrgreen:
:D Thinking long term, I see it getting increasingly hard over the years to come to get ammo and components. I think I have about 10 years supply already, but I would ultimately like to lay in at least 20 years worth of reloading components. I've already got a lifetime supply of lead.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

KirkD wrote:
barbarossa wrote: ... with all the hording going on down in the States people buying 5 lifetimes supply of ammo we might be the Ammunition manufactures only customers as everyone else may not be buying ammo for years to come. :mrgreen:
:D Thinking long term, I see it getting increasingly hard over the years to come to get ammo and components. I think I have about 10 years supply already, but I would ultimately like to lay in at least 20 years worth of reloading components. I've already got a lifetime supply of lead.
I am sure you are right about it getting harder to get ammo and components as the years go by.
I don't need 20 years supply :lol: , maybe 15 :lol:

According to the sources where I get my supplies pistol primers both large and small are getting scarce as is 22LR.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

I would expect that y'all are gonna be just like us down here, it's mostly a matter of time. Unless you manufacture your own it would seem that the pipelines coming from us are well on their way to drying up. They sure have down here! :)

I would also think that your shortage will last longer as then your pipes have to fill back up.

*sigh*

Cat
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The problem in the states is not that there isnt any ammo or components, the problem is everybody is in major freak out mode and buying all they find as fast as it's made. There is TONS of it being made daily, they're running 7 days/week making it. Production is above normal levels from what I understand, the demand is the issue.

At some point there wil either be a saturation point when anybody with money has all they can afford or store, or people will quit buying in panic mode and stock will level out with sellers. The folks that buy all they see every time they find it on the shelf are a big part of the problem right now. The time to stock up isn't when it's hard to find, the time to stock up is before it's hard to get. If you never keep any ahead, you really shouldnt complain too much, because you failed to plan ahead, but I do sympathise when scads of people buy way more than the use or need and make it hard for everyone else just to go hunt or shoot.

This isn't the first time this has happened. New shooters have a tough time right now, but old hands should already have some around for a rainy day, take a deep breath, step away from the ammo counter, and let someone else get some.

I simply don't get why folks don't keep some ammo ahead for unforseen events, etc, but everyone seems to think its the end of the world suddenly, and no more will ever be made.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I for one have made a personal decision that I want a minimum of 300 rounds reloaded for each caliber I use. I have enough components to reach that goal. Once that's done, then I'll my shooting frequency will most likely decline. I'll just do more dry fire under varied scenarios to keep my skills up. What I most dread is that powder and primers will have less shelf life so the 300 I reload will be with current stuff. I have ammo that's 40 years old and still functions fine. Once the supply chain opens back up, I'll replenish my stuff, but will keep the 300 rounds from now until I die as a hedge against future catastrophic conditions.