3 string cigar box guitars

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 3 string cigar box guitars

#51 Post by Grizz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:00 am

Ray, I love it. I am going to share this with my grandkids if that's alright with you.
I think your guitar is fretted, is this correct? It sounds great.

Mine is fretless so I can confuse myself better. It is strung very high, like a dulcimer, if they are strung very high. It's a consequence of the stick-on-top construction method. I used a digital electronic tuner to "tune" it and my wife with perfect relative pitch commented that it needed to be tuned. I promise not to sing out loud in anyone's hearing, if I can avoid it.

THAT'S HOW TONE DEAF I AM . . . :lol: :D :lol:

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#52 Post by Ray » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:34 am

Fretted......

Was gDG & tuned the D down to B and the G down to E......

moved the bridge back towards the tailpiece about 3/8ths inch to tighten the slack....

didn't have to do that as strings are plenty tight after slackening......

they must have been mandolin tight two whole steps up from where they are now.....

I think this is the one heard playing.....

https://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-guita ... y-to-play/
m.A.g.a. !

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#53 Post by Ray » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:34 pm

Hey grizz !

Check this out.....

You can never go wrong with Amazing Grace.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GMd4IKB3l34
m.A.g.a. !

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

#54 Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:00 am

yeah! good one for sure.

the neck on my new box is bending enough that it doesn't stay tuned overnight. so I get to mod it with an external truss rod on the back of the neck.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

#55 Post by Grizz » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am

Ray, I dropped the tuning to EBE, the neck responded by getting a little less dished. Methinks the worker-bee oriented the ash grain in the wrong direction, or it's just a pool noodle to begin with.

But I like open E a lot, it sounds less like a cloud of flying insects .. . . :lol:

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#56 Post by Ray » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Grizz wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am
Ray, I dropped the tuning to EBE, the neck responded by getting a little less dished. Methinks the worker-bee oriented the ash grain in the wrong direction, or it's just a pool noodle to begin with.

But I like open E a lot, it sounds less like a cloud of flying insects .. . . :lol:

I close my eyes and imagine the smell of the pacific ocean, dungeness boiling, and hear this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rims ... blebee.oga
m.A.g.a. !

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

#57 Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 am

Ray, that's hilarious. but with a little stretch can you imagine the entire flight off-key :?:

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#58 Post by Ray » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:15 pm

I like this g b e tuning so much now, I got a chinese six string banjo that is going to the luthier tomorrow to see if he can whittle a new bridge and nut for three pairs, either redundant mandolin style or reentrant 12 string guitar style as he sees fit.

The correct number of tuners are already there so it is just a matter of geometry to get the spacing right. A higher bridge will help me from scrubbing the skin when picking fast.

A .034" for the g and a .010 wlld g string from a banjo set paired together reentrantly might give it some twang but I think the b and e will have to be paired redundantly.
m.A.g.a. !

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

#59 Post by Grizz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:57 am

this g b e
1 - 3 - 5 ? a full cord ?

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#60 Post by Ray » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 am

Grizz wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:57 am
this g b e
1 - 3 - 5 ? a full cord ?
high three from a standard guitar which is ead(gbe)..... all three played open at once is an pseudo Em chord.....the buttons you press to play guitar chords are the same just ignoring the ead strings which are absent.
41_BanjoChords4DTuning_2ed_450.jpg
ignore the d string......the old d chords on the gbe strings will still be the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !

Ray
Senior Levergunner

#61 Post by Ray » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 pm

m.A.g.a. !

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

#62 Post by Grizz » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:04 am

OK! a three legged banjo eh? that's easy listening and singing truth is the best kind...

my box is EBE right now, and the noodle neck likes the looser tension. replaced the bridge with a wood nut, which lowered the action a lot. this makes it a little quieter, but also mellow. just won't work well with lots of ambient engine noise, like at take-off... thanks for the cord chart. my box is fretless, so I only get slide sounds. I listened to it for a while today and somehow the key of E suits me, although I can't figure out what it's good for. I crack myself up sometimes.

thanks for the input and samples