Paco, thanks for the article on the .444 Marlin vs the .308.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Paco, thanks for the article on the .444 Marlin vs the .308.

Post by dogngun »

I know it's been around for some time, but I just read it a few minutes ago, and It really made me feel much better...I recently bought an old Marlin .444 - about 1975 - kind of by accident.

I love Marlin lever rifles.

Over the last 45 years, I have owned a .444 and a .45-70, an early '70's version with the straight grip - at least 3 .35 Remingtons and maybe 6 .30-30's going back to the 1950's. This "new" .444 is the only Marlin I own at this time, but if I can find a good older Marlin in .30-30, that might change, too.

I really appreciate that a lot of writers -not limited to gun writers- just take for granted that what has been written before is gospel, and build their opinions and writings on that sand, and I do really appreciate that you are among the few who go far beyond that, along with John Taffin and Mike Venturino...and the late Stephen Camp, with whom I had some correspondence over a few years.

Not to suck up too much, but I want to make people here who may not appreciate it aware of what a gold mine this forum is, and again to thank you for doing it.

Mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Paco, thanks for the article on the .444 Marlin vs the .

Post by AJMD429 »

The .444 can be the 'big boy' of a nice 'set' of firearms...

for 'field use' a Ruger .44 Mag Redhawk
for 'concealed carry' a Charter Bulldog in .44 Special
for 'whitetail' or 'home defense' a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag
and
for 'moose' or when something needs a big and deep hole in it - a .444 Marlin

All of them can use the same components except brass, which helps a bit in reducing inventory.

The .452" 'family' would be even better, since the .45 Colt can be fired in a .454 Casull, and that can be fired in a .460 S&W, but there just aren't the guns out there yet - no long-action .460 leverguns, and no snubby DA 5-shot revolvers in .45 Colt.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Paco's articles on the .444 and those of Marshall Stanton at beartoothbullets.com convinced me in 2007 that the .444Marlin is what I wanted. No regrets on luckily buying a JM marked Marlin before the brand was ruined.

edited for spelling--darn them fingers think faster than my brain!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

dogngun wrote:
Not to suck up too much, but I want to make people here who may not appreciate it aware of what a gold mine this forum is, and again to thank you for doing it.

Mark

a GOLD MINE................. its a MONEY PIT. I have bought more rifles and pistols because of this forumn than anything else since 07 when I joined. Of course when I need a cheap way to fix something so I can buy fuel instead of parts, I can always get answer here :P :lol:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I got a BigBore 94 .444 Marlin. Think of it as a 6 :D 1/4LB fast handling fast shooting 200 yard Big game rifle and a hammer for kodiak bear. It don't get much better.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmm , the 444's okay and I might have one or two of them .

But I find it to be a pussycat with full house loads compared to some of my other uhm toys :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

3leggedturtle wrote:
dogngun wrote:

Mark

a GOLD MINE................. its a MONEY PIT. I have bought more rifles and pistols because of this forumn than anything else since 07 when I joined. Of course when I need a cheap way to fix something so I can buy fuel instead of parts, I can always get answer here :P :lol:

:roll: Hard to just have one, isn't it...

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.