Take-Down Winchester Accuracy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Take-Down Winchester Accuracy?

Post by LeverBar »

Was peeking in Ken Waters' Pet Loads at the store today (Wish I had a copy here at home!)

Anyway, I saw in a discussion that he specified that he used a solid framed rifle rather than a take-down for his accuracy test--as if the take-down would not shoot as well as the other.

Is there a significant difference in accuracy between two similar Winchester rifles with the only difference being one is a solid frame and the other is a take-down?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Although I have limited experience with TD rifles, I'll say that the one I own (1921-manufactured 1894 in .38-55) is more accurate than the solid frame version of the same rifle in the same caliber that I also own -- not that this proves much. If the take-down attachment point is tight, there should be no adverse affect on accuracy. Winchester made TD lever guns with two or more barrel-magazine assemblies, usually each barrel in a different caliber. Apparently accuracy was acceptable with these rifles. But more importantly, with the advent of the coil mainspring version of the Winchester Single-Shot rifle in 1906, the company offered TD rifles in Schuetzen configuration. I can't imagine Schuetzen shooters accepting a TD if it weren't accurate.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My Winchester/Miroku 1886 takedown .45-90 seems to be plenty accurate. It is still like new, but I doubt that I will live long enough to shoot it enough to make the TD connection loose. I have read that the Winchester TD can be adjusted if it does ever loosen up, but I will not worry about that until it happens.

The TD feature has some advantages and if those are important to you, then I recommend you buy one.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

CRS,

If your TD is similar to the orignals (and I believe it is), there are three adjustment screws under the forearm that impinge on the barrel side of the TD mechanism. These screws are designed to increase the deflection of the thin metal of the TD boss, thereby tightening the fit of the boss and the receiver extension. I suspect it will take many dis/assemblies of the rifle to cause enough wear to require a tightening. Just shooting the gun will not cause wear at this joint.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Cimarron;
Yes, and I always put a few drops of oil on those surfaces before putting it back together.

BTW, does your moniker come from the Cimarron River in New Mexico? That was one of my training trout fishing streams many years ago.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I own several TD 1886s and not one has ever been adjusted by me, They come apart quickly and easily and accuracy never suffers for it.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

CRS,

Yep, that's my SASS alias. I took it because I own some land in Eagle Nest, technically the headwaters of the Cimarron River, a great trout stream, as you know (though you'll have a lot of company these days.) I'm cursed by this housing market as my wife and I will be moving to the Moreno Valley as soon as we can sell our home.

In the recent snafu with the board, I had responded to your goat hunt around Clayton. That's great country!

Mike D.,

Winchester's take-down system is effective, simple, easy to operate, accuracy-neutral and way cool!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

That is pretty country. As a child and teenager my family vacationed at Eagles Nest, Red River, the Cimarron, the box canyon of the Rio Grande, on up in Creede and Salida Colorado.
Wonderful country. You will be glad to be back up there.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

CRS,

I can't wait, but, of couse, I'll have to. My brother moved there more than three years ago. He loves it, too. And it's close enough to the Whittington Center to suit me. Cold as a well digger's rump in the winter, but I'm a northern kind of guy anyway.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Thank you all for the information.

Beautiful Forum! You ask a question, get it answered completely, and glean even more information regarding the subject than you knew was there.

Good Souls in this Levergun group!