opinions please on

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

opinions please on

Post by two bit okie »

Need some opinions on simmons rifle scopes, for a 7 mm mag. It has been awhile since I checked out glass and was wondering if they (simmons) are still junk.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: opinions please on

Post by Pete44ru »

IMO, While Simmons have come a long way from their early/junque days, I wouldn't put one on ANY belted magnum rifle.

I, in fact, prefer the Simmons Shotgun/Muzzleloader 2x scopes on many rifle, due to their long (5") eye relief, small (7" long) size, and light weight (9oz).

Look around for a used Leupold or Burris (SWFA.com has them) for your 7mm Mag, since the scopes (not the owner) have a lifetime warranty.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I'ld suggest you spend the extra money, and get one of the Burris in the package deal with the binoculars or the spotting scope. Either way you have a topnotch rifle scope and a very useful accessory, with the Burris quality.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was just now looking at Simmons web site and I see no mention of a warranty :roll: ..... If you got an ugly Leupold and sent it back to the factory they would send it back to you looking like new.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Had a Simmons on a 300winmag. Replaced with a Vortex (I really like this scope, and my brother also bought one and loves it) and sent Simmons to my brother. He just told me the other day that the crosshairs fell inside scope. I had about 100 rnds of 300winmag on the scope before pulling it.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Not all Simmons scopes are created equal. I actually liked there scopes from the 90's, both rimfires and medium priced centerfire scopes but I did find that their rimfire quality has diminished. Have there mid priced centerfires also diminished? I have no idea but I wouldn't take a chance. Right now I'm on a Redfield kick but IIRC they've since shipped their Revolution line over seas and renamed them. USA made Revolution = good, Asian made remake = bad.
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

I have about 6 of the aetec model, but not enough rounds thru them to say. The power ring sleeve came loose on one before i even shot it. Bought all thru natchez when on sale for $80 or less.

Byron
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have a Simmons on my 220 Swift. One of my buddies and I bought re-furbs from a Simmons dealer. First run stuff was not inspected but the re-furbished ones have all the bugs out. This was in the early 90s and they are still killing prairie dogs. Oh yeah, middle son has one on his 7 mag.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

+1 on burris the fullfield ll is a good scope the fullfield E1 has a etched glass reticule and their forever warranty on both is excellent. cant beat them for a working mans scope nephew got a 2x7 E1 last fall for a 30TC whacking speed goats on the east side they are slim and trim. danny
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

BigSky56 wrote:+1 on burris the fullfield ll is a good scope the fullfield E1 has a etched glass reticule and their forever warranty on both is excellent. cant beat them for a working mans scope nephew got a 2x7 E1 last fall for a 30TC whacking speed goats on the east side they are slim and trim. danny
+1 on the Fullfields, have 2 0f'em. 2nd one came with a Garmin E-trex unit.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

3Lturttle if I remember correctly the some fullfields are still made USA. I wish they made them in a 1-4 or 1-5 for hunting timber could make a 2-7 work but still to bulky for me on my 99 if their scout scope had a 6" ER it would work as I like fixed power scopes too. danny
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have a whitetail clasic 3.5x10 that I had on a 7mm mag.It took about 7 years for that rifle to break the reticle.I sent it back and three weeks
later I got it back factory repaired.I now have that scope on a .308 and works great.I bought it in 92.I have a new Redfield also and feel its a very
good scope for the money.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If I hadn't invested much money in the Simmons I might try it unless the use was for dangerous-game or some other 'critical' purpose. If it breaks, it breaks.

Otherwise, I'd strongly consider a Redfield or Leupold, especially if the gun is light weight. The Redfield (2-7x) on my Ruger .375 Alaskan seems to love its new home there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I used a Simmons 4x shotgun scope on my .444 Marlin for 4+ years firing at least 500 rounds /year. No problems. Only reason I changed I just decided to go conventional instead of scout mount.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer has a Weaver on her 30-06 and it is amazingly clear. I have not used a Leupold or Burris, so nothing to say there. I prefer the Weaver to the Bushnell on my 30-06, and my Bushnell cost more.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost