Lee Tumble Lubing?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Lee Tumble Lubing?

Post by yooper2 »

Is anybody here using this method or the bullet molds designed for it?
Not a huge fan of Lee molds in general but the 6 cavity ones seem okay as they have steel alignment pins that go into steel bushings.
I'm interested in it for standard pressure 45ACP plinking loads. I shoot about 500rds a week through my 1911 and running all those bullets through my old Lyman lubrisizer on top of sizing for my sixgun shooting is getting a bit tedious. Just looking for something a bit quicker.
Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Eric
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lee Tumble Lubing?

Post by gundownunder »

Tumble lube is quick and easy, just warm the bullets and warm the lube and then mix them together. A little lube goes a surprisingly long way.
You can tumble lube ordinary bullets just as well as Lee TL bullets. Tumble once, then let dry, then tumble again, then let fly. If sizing is required, do it between the first and second tumble.
Try to find a square container to do your tumbling in so that the bullets tumble rather than slide.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Hi eric,
I have not tried the lee tumble lube bullets yet, but they seem to have good reviews. Ranchdog had molds made by lee for rifle bullets using the tumble lube design, and they worked and were quite popular.
I use the alox to tumble lube regular cast bullets without grease in the lube grooves, and it prevents leading to above start loads. I also put a coating on pre lubed bullets for both cast pistol and rifle, and helps ensire a clean bore.
At 500 bullets per week, I would move up to a star sizer. Take a look on you tube.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I have a few Lee molds & at least 4 other kinds, I TL them all, most are GC
Sometimes ill run them fast in a 30-30 with the lee 113 gr & have had no leading
also use a 158gr TL bullet in 38 or 357

ollogger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I use several of them, mostly Ranch Dog rifle molds. I have them in 30, 35, and 375 cal. I drive them over 2200 fps with the LEE alox, and have no leading problems. I don't tumble the entire bullet though. I thin enough alox down in a small container and dip the lube grooves and let them dry, then apply a second dip before running them through the sizer. Works great.
NRA Life Member
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I use alox/lard 50/50 inall for all of my cast bullets. Only reason for the lard is to make the alox go farther, and it's free after my wife has done her magic in the kitchen. I keep the mix warm in a crock pot, dip the lube grooves once, size, and air dry. The lube is thick enough to fill the grooves with one dip. Ranchdog came up with the process I describe for the most part.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

A little glob of Johnson paste wax (the stuff in the yellow can for floors) a little bigger then a pea with the second application of Alox cuts down on the tacky feel. The guys at cast bullets like to cook the alox and Johnson's paste wax together with mineral spirits but it seems like way to much trouble to me. Lay out to dry for a day and load.

Works a okay for mid range 45 acp and 357/38 special for me.

Chris
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Tumble lubing made easy,check out this link:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... -Mess-Free
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Well, you sold me on it. Time to make a Midway order. Thanks gents!

Eric
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Give it a try for sure!!!
I have tumble lubed lots of bullets and find they shoot just fine.
The reasons I don`t do it much now...
Con=
1-Messy
2-Have to clean the bullet seater plug often to keep O.A.L. consistent.
3-It`s not "quick" when you have to wait over night for it to dry.
4-And "easy" ways of doing things are not always the best.

Pro=
1-Inexpensive.
2-bullets tumble lubed often shoot very good.
3-easy for the beginner to get started.
4- comes with complete instructions.

I suggest you slug your bore and order a Lee push through sizer die set at the same time
1-2 thousands larger than bore (groove) dia.
The sizer kit will come with a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox, enough for thousands of bullets.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I may have to play with it in my 30-30, but I have never been confident enough to push the Alox that fast. I had some leading issues in my .44 magnum that deterred me from trying it in rifles. I use it almost exclusively for my .45 ACP though. I will have to try the method of heating it and dipping the bullets in to fill the grooves. If you wand to get rid of the tackiness of the Alox, sprinkle a little mica, and I mean a little, on the bullets in a container and shake them up. The mica will coat the Alox and get rid of the sticky.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Guys, if your bullets are sticky after tumble lubing you are using too much lube!!! Read this:

It's easy to make this lube, a thin coat is all you need! You should just barely be able to see the lube on your bullets and there is no gumming up your dies if you use this recipe. This stuff works GREAT! The Lee liquid Alox, as it comes from Lee, is too thick. Thin it out with this recipe and you are good to go!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I have had mixed results with tumble lube.
I notice that many folks suggest thinning the LLA 50/50 with mineral spirits.
I may try that next.
I'm not highly motivated because traditional sizing and lubing has been 100% effective.

Jack
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I use the tumble lube from time to time. It's sure not any quicker than lubrisizing, matter of fact you need to be at least 24 hours ahead of your loading session.
The stuff will eventually gum up your nose punch in the seating die.

Best bet is for you to try it (it'll work on any bullet as the stuff is mainly a hard coating on the outside of a bullet) and see which you prefer.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

centershot wrote:Guys, if your bullets are sticky after tumble lubing you are using too much lube!!! Read this:

It's easy to make this lube, a thin coat is all you need! You should just barely be able to see the lube on your bullets and there is no gumming up your dies if you use this recipe. This stuff works GREAT! The Lee liquid Alox, as it comes from Lee, is too thick. Thin it out with this recipe and you are good to go!

That was the best article I've ever read on making bullet lube. Thanks for the post.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I've been using alox for a good while, mebbe 19 years, as my first .44 mold was a Lee T/L 240 gr. SWC. Just like any bullet lube that works, it won't work for everyone/everything. I find it to be only as messy as I am and if I'm sloppy handling alox, it will get all over the place. I still use alox (I purchase mine from White Label Lubes http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html) and if I'm not mixing it with JPW, I thin it to about the same consistancy as heavy cream and use just a little. But mostly when I use a tumble lube now, I'll dip lube with 45-45-10...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...