OT Ruger sp-101

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

OT Ruger sp-101

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Anyone conceal carry one of these? I'm thinking of picking one up.
What barrel length?
I think it'll work well when I don't want to pack the .45.
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I bought one and really like it.
it can bark with factory 158 gr jhp's :D .I put a set of hogue grips on it.they really help out.
pete

ruger sp101 357
DAV life member.
Cracker
Levergunner

Post by Cracker »

I normaly carry a 1911 IWB but when I where shorts or overalls I carry a SP101 in a Thunderwear holster and no one has a clue.

I have several .357's and the SP101 hurts the most to shoot but is the easiest to hide, would not change a thing I just don't shoot much full house at the range with it. I have also read a couple articles where the author was "whining" about a 4" group@ 7yrds was exellent, I am shooting quarter size groups at 15yrds slow fire with fullhouse silvertip rounds.
Last edited by Cracker on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I was thinking about getting one of the 3" .38's myself.

Shopping around.

:)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Brother in law swat guy loves his. Carries it fishing and hiking too.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I carry mine in a Safepacker pretty much everywhere I go. And, yes, it is a knuckle-crusher with fullhouse loads if you're not in a good Weaver.

scott
copen
Levergunner

Post by copen »

Just bought our Daughter one a couple weekends ago. It's a hoot to shoot. 2.5" bbl/.357 mag. Handloads useing Unique or Titegroup did
better than +p .38s in the white box. She loves it. But we haven't run
any fullhouse .357s through it yet. No real need to,but curiosity might
get the best of us.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I have at least one SP101 snubby with me all the time. While working police patrol, I wear one concealed in an ankle rig while the duty SIG rides on the belt. On my own time, I try to wear either an SP101 or a Speed Six on the hip, plus another .357 revolver in a pocket rig or Safepacker, or in another belt holster. All three of my .357 SP101s have the 2.25" barrel, but the 3" makes a lot of sense. I usually have a larger .357 sixgun with me, or my duty pistol, so a 3" SP101 has never been a priority, though I have my eye out for a good deal on one. My 4" SP101 in .32 H&R mag is a fun little gun. My not-so-big hands are well suited to the SP101, and mine wear the factory grip.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Depending on the circumstances and whether or not I feel it would be better for me if I didn't have to worry about policing brass, I carry a 2" .357 SP101... most often in the Woods or Winter.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have one thing to say. HOGUE GRIPS!!!! I carry an SP101 snubby with full 357 loads. The hogues made things 110% better on that little sweet heart. . Its also easy to hide in the pants with a high rise holster. I carry it bow hunting or out to the store.
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

I prefer the short barrel 101, 2.25" I believe. The reason is I feel it gives me more options in modes of carry than the longer barrel version. I know some say it too heavy for pocket carry, but not for me. You just have to try and see for yourself. I have found that Mika's pocket holster is the best for me. His link is http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html.
Bob
11b3y
Levergunner

What's not to like?

Post by 11b3y »

Built like a tank, easy to disassemble and clean, stainless steel and compact.

I get 1206 fps avg with Federal High Velocity 158 JSP. It does let you know you touched one off but I don't find the recoil all that bad.

I use it when camping, hanging out in PA. I use a Galco Speedmaster for carry.

Tom
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

I carry the 2" 101 in the summer when I worry about the rust on my firestar or my m-19. I use the mexican carry as even the holster would violate company policy in some localities. I carry the 147 gr +p+ hydro shocks in it. This is the same load I carry in my 19. I also carry hydroshocks in my 40 cal firestar. Lately I am considerring just carrying the 101 and leaving the firestar in my truck. I carry six extra in a speed strip so I figure I can fight my way to my truck and the gun/s contained there in. As we are under constant video surviellance and I am the Security supervisor, I do not worry much about having them in the truck.(locked of course) Hollis
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
coobie
Levergunner

Re: OT Ruger sp-101

Post by coobie »

HillbillyGadget wrote:Anyone conceal carry one of these? I'm thinking of picking one up.
What barrel length?
I think it'll work well when I don't want to pack the .45.
I bought the sp101 in 32 H&R mag.with crimson laser sites,very nice pistol IMHO.coobie :D
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Picked up one in .32 Mag about 6 weeks ago.
Very nice lil' gun, and lots of fun to shoot.
Don't carry it tho. Just a little big for pocket carry, (for me anyway), and if I carry IWB, it's my 1911.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I sometimes carry a sp101, IWB and pocket carry, it is the one with the bobbed hammer double action only. It is the best shooting snub nose I have ever shot. Full power 357s bang pretty hard, but are totally controllable with practice. These are solid heavy duty little guns. At first I thought the factory grips were too small, so I tried Hogue and Badger. I ended up putting the factory grips back on as they work the best for me. It is popular to say it is heavy for pocket carry, but for a full power 357 that fits in your pocket and can be pulled out and actually shot it is my favorite. I tried one of the Smith ultra lightweight 357's ,11 oz. IIRC, I was unable to practice with it, I was unable to shoot it effectively. My wife owns and shoots only one handgun it is a 3 inch sp101 in 32 h&r mag, she has put many rounds through it without any issues.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

txpete wrote:I bought one and really like it.
it can bark with factory 158 gr jhp's :D .I put a set of hogue grips on it.they really help out.
pete

ruger sp101 357
That looks like it will do the trick! :D
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

it packs easy.this holster I got from midway for like 14.00.its a uncle mikes and it does a fine job when out at the ranch.3 rds snake shot next 2 with a 158 gr swc gc.I hate snakes :) .
pete

DAV life member.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

When not carried in my 511 vest-pocket holster, I carry my 101 in a similarly cheap Uncle Mikes Paddle rig or a desantis fanny pack.

Looking at getting one of these for Mexican though.

http://www.clipdraw.com/handguns.html
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Here is mine. Trying to get my Wife to get her CC Permit for this one.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Anybody besides me put a Tritium front blade on theirs?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Old Ironsights wrote:Anybody besides me put a Tritium front blade on theirs?
My two snubbies I got from Jack Weigand have tritium front sights. :)
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
357dude
Levergunner

Post by 357dude »

New here but can talk a little about the sp101. Ive owned a bunch of different handguns and the one that I use and love the most is my 3" SP101 in 357mag.

It's the right right weight for carrying and handles the hot stuff. I have a rubber monogrip in it.

357dude
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I carry a 1911 IWB or a Taurus compact 9mm (yea yea :P ) but I bought one of those SP 101's 5 years back for the wife. It sits in the glove box and once in awhile I stick it in a front pocket. It doesn't bother me to shoot, but both the wife and daughter prefer to shoot the 1911 over everything. It is small, but I don't really think it's a good womans gun, at least not the petite kind.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Thanks, for the replies. I may just have to get one in the next few months and keep my eye out for a little Marlin .357.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Don't forget they make 'em in .32 magnum, my daughter love that one!