Goin' old school...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Goin' old school...

Post by stew71 »

I finally found the perfect field-grade, working-man's SxS shotgun. For that last year or so, I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a good, low-cost, used SxS for the duck blind and pheasant fields. And here it is...a very slightly used CZ Ringneck 12gauge. The action isn't even broken in yet, so I doubt the original owner even put a couple of boxes through it. While everyone else at the LGS was snapping up ARs, AKs, and Glock 17's at inflated prices, I went old school and found this beauty in the used rack in the corner....lonely...just looking for a nice warm gun safe. I shouldered a gorgeous fixed choke Ithaca, but the LOP was way too short for me. The second gun was a very nice Stevens, but in 20gauge. This one was the 3rd fowling piece that I checked out and the minute I threw it to my shoulder, I knew it was going home with me. My eyes line up perfectly with the rib and bead, and my cheek melds to the same spot on the stock every time. Got a good price on her too... :)

Can't wait to take her to the clays range...

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Goin' old school...

Post by olyinaz »

Very nice!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Good Looking Shotgun Stew.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You scored,
not following the herd has always been the best policy for me.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very cool.....I don't scattergun very much, but, I've always been drawn to a nice SxS... :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I like old school too....congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You get full marks and go straight to the top of the class 8)

Is it ejector?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Nath wrote:You get full marks and go straight to the top of the class 8)

Is it ejector?

N.
Thanks Nath. Nope. Extractors only. I don't mind though. I prefer to not litter the duck blind or clays range.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

Looks like you were in the right place at the right time! Handsome gun!!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

stew71 wrote:
Nath wrote:You get full marks and go straight to the top of the class 8)

Is it ejector?

N.
Thanks Nath. Nope. Extractors only. I don't mind though. I prefer to not litter the duck blind or clays range.
Cool, less to go wrong 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Nice. Thats the same school I go to.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Well shoot. Now you went and got me all jealous!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very nice. Lots of luck with that one.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

stew71 wrote:

First off, nice shotgun. A real beauty. I also agree about the advantage of extractors only. You just pluck them out and don't have to fiddle around searching for the empties in the grass. The sidelocks are pretty too. Nice wood. Rub in a little antique furniture dye and you'll take out that mar in the wrist.

I'm more of a shotgun shooter than rifle or pistol shooter and I'm a huge fan of the SXS. I like looking over the two barrels, eyes wide open. I like the way they mount and swing. I shoot a Fox Sterlingworth and a Lefever I grade and like them both. Are you going to shoot steel through it? A company called RST makes special lightly loaded shells made for these SXS guns which you might like. I think that your gun is about new, so it was likely made to shoot steel. You want to find out.

One of the best things about the double gun is safety. I was taught to walk along with the action open gun loaded. There is no better safety than an open action. Bird fly,close the action, slip off the safety and shoot. You can do it in a twinkling of an eye. However, I like guns that do not have an automatic safety, since the open action is so safe. If the bird doesn't fly just re-open the action.

Congrats on your new shotgun and welcome to the double gun crowd. (BTW: If you have not already, buy a Double Gun and Single Short Journal magazine. It is a beautiful magazine and you'll become a real double gun nut.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those, looks like a nice usable shotgun.
I bought and fell in love with my only SxS about seven or eight years ago. It is a Sears JC Higgins, made by AYA in Spain. I think it was made in the late fifties if I remember correctly. Mine is a 16 ga on a small frame. It has 25" barrels and I bought it for shooting rabbits over beagles. I use it for squirrels as well now. It also serves as camp security quite often. It was well used when I got it and I continue to put it to good use, but it is not abused. I bought it at a GS and nearly didn't buy it over 15.00 that the guy wouldn't budge on. My friend with me advised me I would regret not getting it and of course he was right. I hardly look at my other shotguns now that I have this one. I would like to get SxS's for my sons at some point and the CZ looks like a good candidate.

As someone mentioned above, I just follow the rabbit with my eyes, the gun goes bang and the rabbits roll. Thinking back, I don't think I have missed a rabbit yet with this little gun. Plus it carries very easy.

Kevin
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Someone has found a good double, thats the way they work. when they work.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

tweed jacket...wool hat...high button boots...good dog...that's the next accessories for that nice double... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The CZs are nice guns.. I prefer hammers, but really like double triggers on any SXS.. I think I would have to make a set if I had that gun...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man Stew, that is nice! Congratulations. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS