new to lever guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

new to lever guns

Post by silverback57 »

well guys I have finally seen the light. I have been shooting for about 25 years. I have always been a bolt or semi auto guy. I recently started to get back into revolvers. Their simplicity, reliability and accuracy keep impressing me each time i go out to the range. I had been thinking that i ought to just go with a revolver as my primary and consolidate weapons. i really like the look/feel and manual of arms single and or DA/SA weapons. recent events only confirmed my position.

i have been using the ruger gp100 357,the ruger redhawk 45 lc and my two sweet ruger buckeye 38-40 10mm's, glock 20,vepr .308,saiga .223,swedish 1911 mauser 6.5 x 55 and of course ruger 10/22.

I want to consolidate cartridges so after some reaserch i thought i would start Looking for a nice rifle that could give decent SD/hunting. This has lead me to start looking for a decent 357 lever gun as they don't make 10 mm. The information that i have been able find suggests that a nice 357 load would get close to 30-30 ballistics. this really peaked my interest and confirmed my confidence in the 357 round.

I figure 357 revolers,a couple of nice lever guns (357 & 22lr) and my shot gun would cover just about all my short range needs. oh yeah can't go without at least one 22 lr handgun. I am thinking the ruger single ten and maybe the lcr for the pocket.

then for something more i would go with a bolt .308 since i have a nice stash of .308 ammo.

some day i may consider a 45 colt lever gun complement the redhawk but that will come in time.

so with that in mind from what i have been reading the Rossi m92 looks like the best buy. i enjoy tinkering so i understand that i would need to spend some time slicking up the rilfe.

any suggestions on a good 22.r lever gun?

i would appreciate any and all imput.
thanks
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Re: new to lever guns

Post by bakamorgan »

I read a lot of 357 vs the 44 mag debate for a while. If you already have a revolver in 357, go for the lever in the same caliber. In the end of the day I don't think it really mattered what was better.

I think that was the real reason I went to a .44 mag when I bought mine. I already had a super blackhawk in .44 and didn't want to have to buy different caliber ammo.

You could also get a lever in 45lc to complement the redhawk.

then agian im just a noob here to these old people. so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've got both a Marlin 1894 and Navy Arms 1892 (high end Rossi 92) in 357 and won't part with either. Leverguns in 357 are just too handy.

As for a 22 lever, the Marlin 39 has been called the Cadillac of 22s for years, but now that Remington is building them, I'd be a bit leery of the new ones. A lot of folks like the Henrys, I'm not one of them. But having owned one before, I will say that the Browning BL-22 is a very nice one. If you can find a decent used Winchester 9422, I've heard good things about them as well. But first on my list would be a well preserved Marlin 39 that was actually made by Marlin.

That being said, my 22 rifle is a Rossi 62 Octagon pump. It's been an excellent shooter for years now.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

The Rossi M92 is an excellent choice for any pistol cartridge and one in .357 would be a perfect match.

For lever action .22s, Browning, Winchester, Marlin and Henry are all good choices. I'm pretty sure even Rossi makes one in 22 also.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome!! :D
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

I really like Browning's BL-22 for the minimal lever action required to cycle a new round. You never have to loose your site-picture - just a flip of your fingers!
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

It's about time I joined this sight. I like lever action rifles. Let's see, I own: a neat original 1895 Savage, minty Savage 99 in 308, M71 Winchester (have yet to shoot it), pre-64 94 30/30, an original '73 Win in 32-20, a Win 88 in 308, early 336 in 35 Remington (wonderful rifle), Win 9422, Browning lever .22 and a '39 Marlin. I think that's it. Which do I like best? Probably the 99 Savage and the model 39 Marlin. The rifle has dark wood and perfect metal. Can a lever action rifle also be beautiful? You bet! I've removed its Burris scope. The cross hairs broke. It is my hog rifle. It is interesting to compare the rifles against one another. Each has it's good points. The 94 is light and handy, but the action is a little jerky. The 336 is heavy, but a straight shooter and the action, while long, is smooth. I just bought the 88 so I can't say much about it. Have yet to shoot it. I love the heft and works of the M71, but have yet to shoot it too. I'm getting pretty long of tooth and suspect that my bear shooting days are over.

I'll have to take some pictures of the 95 Savage which is a very interesting lever action rifle. It is about the most accurate lever gun I own! A .303 Savage, which all are.

I like lever action rifles better than bolt guns because they are faster and quicker to handle. They are accurate enough. They are falling from favor with the public. Well, not in my house.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you think revolvers are simple, you've never taken one apart.... :)
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

You obviously have never taken adpart a ruger gp 100. They are super simple. even the buckeye is easy. i do agree that others may be more complicated. If you look back i have always acquired weapons that are simple and reliable i don't go for the flash. It is more important that it works and i can work on it.

then again i have customized my own 1911, built a couple of AK's, converted my saigas and did my own trigger work on my rugers, etc.
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

Trailboss wrote:The Rossi M92 is an excellent choice for any pistol cartridge and one in .357 would be a perfect match.

For lever action .22s, Browning, Winchester, Marlin and Henry are all good choices. I'm pretty sure even Rossi makes one in 22 also.
i haven't seen one on their web page. if you have any info that would be appreciated.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

gcburt wrote:I really like Browning's BL-22 for the minimal lever action required to cycle a new round. You never have to loose your site-picture - just a flip of your fingers!

Now that is a nice weapon. i wander what they are going for now? trying to staying within reasonable range as i want to invest in bulk 357 rounds as i won't get the chance to set up my reloading equipment for about 6 months.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

44-40 Willy wrote:I've got both a Marlin 1894 and Navy Arms 1892 (high end Rossi 92) in 357 and won't part with either. Leverguns in 357 are just too handy.

As for a 22 lever, the Marlin 39 has been called the Cadillac of 22s for years, but now that Remington is building them, I'd be a bit leery of the new ones. A lot of folks like the Henrys, I'm not one of them. But having owned one before, I will say that the Browning BL-22 is a very nice one. If you can find a decent used Winchester 9422, I've heard good things about them as well. But first on my list would be a well preserved Marlin 39 that was actually made by Marlin.

That being said, my 22 rifle is a Rossi 62 Octagon pump. It's been an excellent shooter for years now.
Just got a line or a 39a but that 24 inch barrel seems like a bit much as the 22lr velocity is at its peak at about 18 inches. what would the benifit of 24 inch barrel provide?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

silverback57 & stepmac
Howdy from Florida...
Cant go wrong with a 357...in any revolver...I am partial to S&W
but the GP100 is an excellent gun...ya definately need to get a companion for it...
I would suggest the Winchester model 94 legacy...
but the rossi's 92s are hard to beat too...
winchester is making a jap version of the 92 also...
and cimarron and taylors firearms....also offer 92s...
Marlins too....
even the Henrys a good choice...

ya need to get a lever buddy for that sweet ruger buckeye 38-40 10mm's too!
my 87 year old Winchester model 92 in 38-40 is my most accurate lever...

that 39a, with the 24" barrel.....
I'd take it...fine rifle...
" what would the benifit of 24 inch barrel provide?"...tad more accurate...
long sight picture...but its a bit long for hunt'n in the woods...but great
for long rang shooting.......
but you already have, in my opinion, the best 22 made....the 10/22
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

bakamorgan wrote:You could also get a lever in 45lc to complement the redhawk.
THAT would be a great combination...!!!
bakamorgan wrote:then again im just a noob here to these old people. so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
OLD...!!!! :o

BTW the Ruger 96/22 is awesome and uses the same magazines (and integrally-suppressed barrels :mrgreen: ) as the 10/22's do. Much quieter, too.

The Ruger 96/44 is likewise a nice .44 Mag levergun, if you can find one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

I have two Win M88, both in .308. One of them I have had since new in 1968 and it has taken many deer and two elk. The other 88 I happened to get about 20 years ago from a friend. It is in almost new condition and is a part of my newer firearms collection along with a very nice Marlin 336 made in 1966 It has an original Marlin 2x7 scope.

My other levers are mostly Winchester M 1973's, M 1892's, an 1886 and a few M94's. I am attaching a few pictures of my collection.
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

AJMD429 wrote:
bakamorgan wrote:You could also get a lever in 45lc to complement the redhawk.
THAT would be a great combination...!!!
bakamorgan wrote:then again im just a noob here to these old people. so take what I say with a grain of salt. :)
OLD...!!!! :o

BTW the Ruger 96/22 is awesome and uses the same magazines (and integrally-suppressed barrels :mrgreen: ) as the 10/22's do. Much quieter, too.

The Ruger 96/44 is likewise a nice .44 Mag levergun, if you can find one.
yeah getting away from detachable mag.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

RIHMFIRE wrote:silverback57 & stepmac
Howdy from Florida...
Cant go wrong with a 357...in any revolver...I am partial to S&W
but the GP100 is an excellent gun...ya definately need to get a companion for it...
I would suggest the Winchester model 94 legacy...
but the rossi's 92s are hard to beat too...
winchester is making a jap version of the 92 also...
and cimarron and taylors firearms....also offer 92s...
Marlins too....
even the Henrys a good choice...

ya need to get a lever buddy for that sweet ruger buckeye 38-40 10mm's too!
my 87 year old Winchester model 92 in 38-40 is my most accurate lever...

that 39a, with the 24" barrel.....
I'd take it...fine rifle...
" what would the benifit of 24 inch barrel provide?"...tad more accurate...
long sight picture...but its a bit long for hunt'n in the woods...but great
for long rang shooting.......
but you already have, in my opinion, the best 22 made....the 10/22

don't get me wrong love my 10/22 but getting away from detachable mag thus the interest in lever action. yeah i thought the 24 inch may provide a bit more accuracy but the balance on that thing may be a cumbersome. Oh well i will just have to keep looking. I hear the mountie has a 20 inch barrel i think.

I am going to have a sale on all my weapons when i decided on which 357 and 22lr levergun to buy.

i hate to get rid of my buckeye's and my glock 20 with the long slide and xtra conversion barrels but i am serious about consolidating and converting to lever and wheel guns. i want to do this and never look back.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

Elker wrote:I have two Win M88, both in .308. One of them I have had since new in 1968 and it has taken many deer and two elk. The other 88 I happened to get about 20 years ago from a friend. It is in almost new condition and is a part of my newer firearms collection along with a very nice Marlin 336 made in 1966 It has an original Marlin 2x7 scope.

My other levers are mostly Winchester M 1973's, M 1892's, an 1886 and a few M94's. I am attaching a few pictures of my collection.
IMG_3335.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3343.JPG

Now that is a collection!!!! where do you sleep?.....Oh wait right next to the display cases....LOL
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

silverback57 wrote:
gcburt wrote:I really like Browning's BL-22 for the minimal lever action required to cycle a new round. You never have to loose your site-picture - just a flip of your fingers!

Now that is a nice weapon. i wander what they are going for now? trying to staying within reasonable range as i want to invest in bulk 357 rounds as i won't get the chance to set up my reloading equipment for about 6 months.
I'm a big fan of those Browning BL-22s. I like them much better than those little butt fed semi-autos. Bought mine used, but nearly new. Great shooter. They have a nice, heavyish heft, short stroke and you do not have to take your eyes off of the sights/target. I don't know what they cost now, but whatever it is, they are worth it.
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

Silvertip57,
When I built the gun room about 1 1/2 years ago (My wife calls it my "Boom Room"), I outfitted it with a pretty high tech security system.....Cameras (inside and outside), motion detectors, glass break detectors, door alarms, and very loud alarms (the neighbors for over a mile away complain when it is triggered). I also can pull up my home security system on the internet anywhere, anytime including my iphone and see what is going on. In addition, if the alarm goes off, the system dials my cell phone and two of my neighbors phones in addition to the Security Company.
Anyway, I don't need to sleep in the room in order to feel secure about the collection. I also have only had about 20 people in the room since it was finished and only one teen ager. I figure the fewer people that know where it is physically the better.
Elker
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." James Madison
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I did some trimming a few years ago. Sold two Marlin .30-30s and .44mag lever (along with a .44 Vaquero SA). Had three .357 revolvers on hand, got a Rossi .357 lever to match up with them.

Have a Henry .22LR and several .22LR handguns (did Steel Challenge competitions with my Ruger 22/45). Definitely keeping my 10/22 with it's two 25 round mags.

Two 12 gauge shotguns round out the lineup.

Odd ball in my collection is the new Mossberg MVP 5.56 bolt I bought a few weeks ago.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
1894c

Post by 1894c »

+1 ...my choice in levergun .22cal., best decision i ever made...WELCOME... :)
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

In 1978 I came home after work and my apartment door was in two and 11 guns gone. Civil War carbines when you could still buy minty ones. I still have nightmares. It was one of the worst moments in my life.
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

LOL; the Boom Room! Great. I hate the term Man Cave, or Man Room. I told my wife that I'm calling my gun room, the Ball Room. We can dance there if we want to.
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

deleted
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

silverback57 wrote:You obviously have never taken adpart a ruger gp 100. They are super simple. .
With a "Ruger Popper"

Else, it´s the first 20 times a REAL PITA.

Hermann

( and by God, exchange the springs for WOLFF´s! )

Hermann --- loves his GP 100 ...
gcburt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gcburt »

silverback57 wrote: Now that is a nice weapon. i wander what they are going for now? trying to staying within reasonable range as i want to invest in bulk 357 rounds as i won't get the chance to set up my reloading equipment for about 6 months.
I bought mine for $400 two weeks ago. That afternoon I had a call offering me three more (grade 1, 2 and an octogon barrel special - but he wanted more money for his.
CW5 Retired, Master Army Aviator and MTFE (1970-2005).
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

MrMurphy wrote:If you think revolvers are simple, you've never taken one apart.... :)
Have you ever seen the insides of a Colt Lightening pistol?
Elker
Levergunner

Post by Elker »

In an earlier post I indicated that my Boom Room and my home had a security system so that when I was away I could monitor what was going on. I am gone right now so I asked my Brother-in-law to check out my truck and tractor by starting them and charging the batteries. Of course when he chesked the other day the truck battery was dead.

He headed over to the house and I was able to grab a few snaps of him working so I'll share with you what it looked like if you ever get your own security system....This was the first time that I have done this. I also snapped one inside my boom room also. By the way, that is snow....After all, I live in Idaho
4.2013.01.11.06.27.12.181.jpg.jpg
4.2013.01.11.06.35.03.725.jpg.jpg
1.2013.01.11.02.37.19.775.jpg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

now that is pretty neat