Win. Model 88, .308

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Win. Model 88, .308

Post by 66GTO »

What can you tell me about them? Anyone have one? (That is a given on this forum, of course someone has one! :lol:)

There is one for sale locally. Anything in particular I should look for on this model?
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Win. Model 88, .308

Post by dkmlever »

I own one made in 1959, very nice shape. It shoots well, I have hunted with it and killed one or two elk with it. they have a very fast cycle/lever rate in my opinion. Mine is all original, no extra holes or scope, just the open sites. I like it very much, handy to carry.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Here's a good read:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... 88_100.htm

I had one in 308 a few years ago it gave me fits on what shape of boolits to use so I gave that away. The only one I have is a NIB 358 Winchester built in 1960. My father won it in a raffle contest back then. It's been a safe queen ever since.

Mainehunter :wink:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

You have to ask? :shock: Be happy...BUY IT!!! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

66GTO wrote:
Anything in particular I should look for on this model?

Yep.

Look for "Winchester Model 88" stamped into it, and buy it before the price goes up some more.

stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Brought my new 88 in 308 home yesterday. Came with new Leupold scope, nice one piece mounts and nice rings. Metal like new, wood nearly so. S# in the 13,000 range which places it in 1955. Strangly no checkering. So what have I got here? A redone gun? If so the work is fantastic. No wobbly reflection as I peer along the barrel. Perfect Wood/metal fit, very tight. The forward sling swivel isn't "right". I paid just over 5, so even if the rifle is a re-do I didn't get hurt. Did Winchester make some special order guns?
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Mainehunter wrote:Here's a good read:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_in ... 88_100.htm

I had one in 308 a few years ago it gave me fits on what shape of boolits to use so I gave that away. The only one I have is a NIB 358 Winchester built in 1960. My father won it in a raffle contest back then. It's been a safe queen ever since.

Mainehunter :wink:
Lotta people would love to own your M88 in 358. It was supposed to replace the M71 and it pretty much does. Good bear round, elk, etc.
Last edited by stepmac on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

The 88 is a fine gun, and here are some things I have read about them.

Some of the very early models had a problem with the firing pin breaking (most have the redesigned firing pin installed.), and some also had a small cut out in the wood at the top of the wrist instead of the large round cutout. The small cutout was prone to splitting so they changed the design to the larger cutout to distribute the recoil impact over a wider area. The stock is somewhat fragile and can split relatively easily around the magazine cutout. Some say that this is the one model that Winchester made that was better in the post 64 models than pre 64, although I prefer the cut checkering of the pre-64 over the pressed pattern of the post-64s.

I have a 1956 vintage 308 and really like the rifle. It is not as accurate as my BLR in 308, but it shoots about 1.25" at 100 yards. They are great hunting guns.
Last edited by geobru on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

I have got one, and I really lika the handling of itt. But I am facing some accuracy problems: the first shot hits som 3 or 4 inches lover than the following, and patterns are bad. I have been working and has done some work according to the shop manual. Previously it patterned 1" @ 100 yds with 180 grs Sierra RN.

Test the rifle at the range before buying it. Than you see if it is worth buying. Hopely it will do well!

Pete
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

99% of them are accurate and dependable. If you like it, buy it............but like most guns made in quantity, never pay more than you can sell it for, as they are readily available. :D ---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have 2 Winchester 88s, both in 308 Winchester. One wears a Weaver K3 Scope and the other a Lyman receiver sight. With either one, accuracy is 1.5 - 2.0 MOA depending on the ammo and the phase of the moon. These are repeatable on demand, day in and day out groups, not the occasional bragging group. They are very dependable, accurate and reliable leverguns.

I have two "issues" with them, but neither is significant..

1. The trigger is rather mushy, but still is fine for a hunting rifle. This is part of the design and nothing can be done about it. Just learn the trigger and make adjustments in your mind.

2. The stock has quite a bit of drop at the heel, making it kick harder than necessary off the bench. These are no bench rifles, and under ordinary hunting conditions this is a non-issue.

The 88 is probably the highest level of levergun development. I feel it is superior to the BLR due to the 88s one piece stock. They are fine rifles and the 308 Winchester is a fine caliber for hunting in the lower 48 states. It is a winning combination.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Steve, I tried to post a pic but it was too wide. Don't know how to shrink it.

My 88 with a 13,000 S# appears to have a replacement stock. Has the early magazine as you describe...has Winchester printed on the bottom. It shows much more wear that does the rest of the rifle. The screw that holds the barrel group to the stock group is the same screw that holds the forward sling swivel. I don't think the Win stock is like this. Haven't tried the M2 gauge bit, but will, I have some M2s.

I have been searching for an 88 for years and even if mine has a preplacement stock I'm pleased with it.

Oh, the trigger feels okay to me. So does the trigger on my M100. This from a guy who has fired a lot of military rifles, these Winchester triggers feel just fine to me.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

mod71alaska wrote:You have to ask? :shock: Be happy...BUY IT!!! :D
66GTO wrote:What can you tell me about them? Anyone have one? (That is a given on this forum, of course someone has one! :lol:)

There is one for sale locally. Anything in particular I should look for on this model?
Pics of your new 88 ?
Phil
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

This is the picture from the ad. It is advertised as a pre-64 and described as "Made in 61,...not perfect condition but decent and functions smooth and reliably". Can anyone tell which magazine it has?

I haven't looked at it in person yet.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
stepmac
Levergunner

Post by stepmac »

Just checked my rifle out and it does indeed have the early 1955 elements as far as I looked. Early magazine, early ejection opening and the clover leaf rear of the receiver. I'm going to struggle with Photobucket to see if I can make my pics smaller to fit into this site.

I think my M100 is first year of production too and it is about mint also. Has Winchester wood and butt plate. No scope. I also have a Win Model 59 which means I've got all of the last pre-64 guns. I like them all. The 59 is kind of strange, very light and that weird barrel material. Shoots fine, a little wippy maybe, but light as a feather.